What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Passed on several chances for ECBP at $59.99 in Bardstown, including two different batches at Keystone Liquor. Ordinarily that would be a buy for me at that price since it is usually at least $10 more than that in my area, but alas, I too have far too many in the bunker already. Of course Keystone also had a bottle of PVW20 on the top shelf for $1,599 that I passed on, but I imagine it will sell eventually.

I suppose it's a good sign that ECBP is on the shelf in Bardstown, and at a good price. It must surely also be a good sign that so many of us have enough stockpiled that we don't need to buy one on the spot when we see it at a great price.

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, flahute said:

I suppose it's a good sign that ECBP is on the shelf in Bardstown, and at a good price. It must surely also be a good sign that so many of us have enough stockpiled that we don't need to buy one on the spot when we see it at a great price.

ECBP B519 for $54.99 OTD just 30 minutes north of Beantown.  Can't have TOO many, no?   ?

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

ECBP B519 for $54.99 OTD just 30 minutes north of Beantown.  Can't have TOO many, no?   ?

So why did you pass?  

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

So why did you pass?  

I didn't.  Just letting folx know that it still can be had for less.   ?

12 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I didn't.  Just letting folx know that it still can be had for less.   ?

Exactly...

• I like it 1

Passed on Whistlepig 18. 

Yeah yeah yeah, I know - should be easy, but I actually enjoy Whistlepig as a rare treat and that bottle/decanter combo is gorgeous. 

Sadly, ive read others reviews on it and def seems like im not missing much on it. 

On 9/26/2019 at 8:57 AM, TehRegion219 said:

Passed on WSR for ~$30

That's practically a steal, the last one I saw in the wild was priced at $99.99 +6%tax.

At $30, I think I would have said bring it on down.  It's a new day in the bourbon world.

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

That's practically a steal, the last one I saw in the wild was priced at $99.99 +6%tax.

At $30, I think I would have said bring it on down.  It's a new day in the bourbon world.

What a time to be alive... it sits on online shelves here now... 

• I like it 1

WSR is still readily available in many areas for under $30...so it’s not a new day in the bourbon world...just your part of the world.

6 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

WSR is still readily available in many areas for under $30...so it’s not a new day in the bourbon world...just your part of the world.

There isn't any in SEMI.

Passed on

Sazerac ~$30

BT~$27

KC SiB store pick 9yo ~$50

KC SiB store pick rye 7yo x like 6 different barrels ~$50

JD SiB store picks ~$50? These like the KC rye have been sitting for a couple of weeks now.....

guess I missed on the bday bourbon......

I'd like to try this, but I'm not a big enough wheater fan to take a flyer on it at this price. 

20191003_140339.jpg

I'd like to try this, but I'm not a big enough wheater fan to take a flyer on it at this price. 
20191003_140339.thumb.jpg.5693c8a29ca59bee650293c58a3d1469.jpg

That’s actually a pretty decent price for it these days. It’s a Single barrel so there will be some variation, but most people seem to like the ones they’ve gotten...

7 hours ago, shawnt said:

OWA for $180.  Wish I were joking.

Where was that at?  :wacko:

Biba! Joe

I'm not buying WSR at any price. It's liquid that I want to grow up/proof up to be OWA.

Finding WSR on a shelf to me is like catch-and-release fishing. Even if I don't catch the big fish.

At the same time, it gives me joy to believe that WSR on the shelves DOES provide some comfort to whores during this difficult time.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 2

7 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I'm not buying WSR at any price. It's liquid that I want to grow up/proof up to be OWA.

Finding WSR on a shelf to me is like catch-and-release fishing. Even if I don't catch the big fish.

At the same time, it gives me joy to believe that WSR on the shelves DOES provide some comfort to whores during this difficult time.

Whore, yes.  ?  Difficult time, no. ?  WSR and regular old BT are my favorite no brainer, go to pours. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I'm going to pass on the newly released Walking Dead Bourbon.  The Va ABC has it for $38.99 and I'll let another fan of the show and bourbon take the plunge. I doubt it's worth the price and I'm not really into buying whiskey solely for display purposes so this one is a hard pass.

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Whore, yes.  ?  Difficult time, no. ?  WSR and regular old BT are my favorite no brainer, go to pours. 

Biba! Joe

Some WSR showed up on the shelf here this week...for $48.99!! Blanton's as well at $79.99. Pass.

14 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

But if you pass, or “release”, it doesn’t go back in to a barrel to grow up. It just sits there. 

I guess I get it if you don’t like it. I have to be in the mood for sure, but that didn’t stop me from stocking 8 in the bunker. It’ll suit me better as they seem to dry up after BTAC release. Likely consolation prizes for taters. 

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

But if you pass, or “release”, it doesn’t go back in to a barrel to grow up. It just sits there. 

For someone else to come along and buy it thinking they just won the lottery. ;) 

5 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

The theory is the less WSR that gets removed from the shelf, the less wheated barrels BT has to dump to replace them, before they can grow up to be OWA.

I can't help it if the dudes behind me clear the shelf, any more than I can help it if fishermen take a bucket of 5 inch bass out of the lake.

But I'm not going to have them dump a barrel on MY account. 

• I like it 3

Passed on OWA and Blantons today. I have open bottles of both plus backups already. 

Turkey is better anyways.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

Visited nearly 20 San Francisco liquor stores within walking distance of the hotel looking for dusty Scotch. Passed on quite a bit of Blanton’s, which is so funny to see on shelves, for as low as $69.99– which was surprising in this market. Biggest pass was a Wild Turkey 12yo Cheesy Gold Foil complete with secondary tube for $699.99 in a total dive package store. 75% of the stores had key bottles on display in direct hardcore sunlight— which put me off on any Scotch buys. 

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

The theory is the less WSR that gets removed from the shelf, the less wheated barrels BT has to dump to replace them, before they can grow up to be OWA.

I can't help it if the dudes behind me clear the shelf, any more than I can help it if fishermen take a bucket of 5 inch bass out of the lake.

But I'm not going to have them dump a barrel on MY account. 

Hey, I'm doing the best that I can. ^_^

Biba! Joe

sr.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.