What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having some 50:50 home blend of 1792 Port and Full Proof PS.  It's going pretty dang well with this here carrot cake I'm having for dessert.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

Some Rebel Yell 100 I bought at Woodmans on a lark. Not very complex, but not offensive at all. For $20 I'm pretty happy with it. Fairly satisfying neat. Been on a $20-and-under kick of late...Fighting Cock and EWSB making regular appearances at Chez B3Nut...

• I like it 2

C4D1EF37-9416-4B5D-8AB5-03726355FCCE.thumb.jpeg.de20eefd28a818f887a75cabf97d0287.jpegBy a fire with my dog “Gunner “ enjoying the night with some Weller 12y.  

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 5

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Having some 50:50 home blend of 1792 Port and Full Proof PS.  It's going pretty dang well with this here carrot cake I'm having for dessert.

I went back for seconds on the 1792 Port Blend.  Also for the carrot cake (shhh don't tell Mrs. Kepler).

Now I just poured myself some ECBP batch 8.  Good and rich this stuff is.

• I like it 3

Drinking a freshly cracked Willett distilled WFE 6yr old bourbon. This is legit good. I'm not getting even a hint of the red hot cinnamon note that dominates many of their barrels. If this is where Willett is headed I'm very intrigued by what even more age will bring. Not excited about the pricing however. 

• I like it 2

The ECBP was working well.  Because variety is the spice of life, I just poured some Booker's.  Dot's Batch from 2015 for those that care.  The initial blast of nuttiness was extremely jarring tonight after the 1792 and ECBP.  But after getting into this pour of Booker's it is like an old friend.  Just works.  Probably not as elite in flavor richness as the Elijah Craig BP, but overall I really just enjoy Booker's every time I pull it from the bar shelf.  I may stay with this one tonight....

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

The ECBP was working well.  Because variety is the spice of life, I just poured some Booker's.  Dot's Batch from 2015 for those that care.  The initial blast of nuttiness was extremely jarring tonight after the 1792 and ECBP.  But after getting into this pour of Booker's it is like an old friend.  Just works.  Probably not as elite in flavor richness as the Elijah Craig BP, but overall I really just enjoy Booker's every time I pull it from the bar shelf.  I may stay with this one tonight....

You are having quite a night. Especially jealous of that carrot cake. Excellent bourbon selections as well.

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

Drinking a freshly cracked Willett distilled WFE 6yr old bourbon. This is legit good. I'm not getting even a hint of the red hot cinnamon note that dominates many of their barrels. If this is where Willett is headed I'm very intrigued by what even more age will bring. Not excited about the pricing however. 

I've never had one of these.  There have been a few barrels dropped in my town the past couple of years, but they disappear within hours before I ever get the chance to buy one.  The high price for 6 year liquid usually gives me comfort in thinking "well for that price, I don't feel that I'm really missing out anyway."  Your post makes me want to at least TRY one; if I get the chance to pick up a bottle I will, but I'm not going to fight the local Facebook Taters over them. Those guys will stampede you when something like this gets released in my town. 

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I've never had one of these.  There have been a few barrels dropped in my town the past couple of years, but they disappear within hours before I ever get the chance to buy one.  The high price for 6 year liquid usually gives me comfort in thinking "well for that price, I don't feel that I'm really missing out anyway."  Your post makes me want to at least TRY one; if I get the chance to pick up a bottle I will, but I'm not going to fight the local Facebook Taters over them. Those guys will stampede you when something like this gets released in my town. 

If you can't try it first, I don't blame you in hesitating. The barrels with that dominating red hot flavor don't do it for me at all.

On this one, when it first came out, I passed. The owner of my local had one that I tried after it sold out. He managed to find another for me.

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

You are having quite a night. Especially jealous of that carrot cake. Excellent bourbon selections as well.

The carrot cake is almost like an epiphany.  I think I may have stumbled upon a new "palate conditioner"  to add to my list of Lindor's White Chocolate truffles and German chocolate cake icing (Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy Coconut Pecan for those that are interested)!  ?

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

If you can't try it first, I don't blame you in hesitating. The barrels with that dominating red hot flavor don't do it for me at all.

On this one, when it first came out, I passed. The owner of my local had one that I tried after it sold out. He managed to find another for me.

Now that is a scenario that would definitely work for me.  We need more opportunities to sample these private picks first! As the boom gets closer to bust status, I believe we will get more opportunities like this.

27 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Now that is a scenario that would definitely work for me.  We need more opportunities to sample these private picks first! As the boom gets closer to bust status, I believe we will get more opportunities like this.

It's an incredibly rare situation unfortunately. I'm very fortunate to have a great local that takes care of me that way. I've earned it through loyalty and many purchases, but in today's market even that is not enough in some situations. 

11 minutes ago, flahute said:

It's an incredibly rare situation unfortunately. I'm very fortunate to have a great local that takes care of me that way. I've earned it through loyalty and many purchases, but in today's market even that is not enough in some situations. 

Awesome.  The way it should be.

Edited by Kepler
Typo "it" not "is"
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, LCWoody said:

C4D1EF37-9416-4B5D-8AB5-03726355FCCE.thumb.jpeg.de20eefd28a818f887a75cabf97d0287.jpegBy a fire with my dog “Gunner “ enjoying the night with some Weller 12y.  

Gunner, looks like he is placating you until the next duck season. 

??

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Happy change
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

The carrot cake is almost like an epiphany.  I think I may have stumbled upon a new "palate conditioner"  to add to my list of Lindor's White Chocolate truffles and German chocolate cake icing (Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy Coconut Pecan for those that are interested)!  ?

Sit up and pay attention, some pro tips right there. 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

There is a whiskey-tuber out of South Africa who spends time carefully curating culinary selections to compliment the various whiskies he samples on his channel.  I find him very entertaining; and his recommendations are always spot on.  The Whiskey Couch. 

Whiskey Pairings

• I like it 1

Had a pour of one of my all time top 3 last night.  2007 GTS.  They certainly don't make BTAC like they used to!

89081753_10158943582667079_77832671488638976_n.jpg

• I like it 4

22 hours ago, Guss West said:

There is a whiskey-tuber out of South Africa who spends time carefully curating culinary selections to compliment the various whiskies he samples on his channel.  I find him very entertaining; and his recommendations are always spot on.  The Whiskey Couch. 

Whiskey Pairings

First let me apologize for highlighting your post, GW; but, I did so to make clear the reference for my following question....

Is this a way to more politely call out a whiskey 'tater' . . ? ?

• I like it 1

No pics but Saturday night I was at a local restaurant here that had an extremely impressive(and expensive) list of bourbons for my wife's birthday.  Used the occasion to spring for my first pour of OWA.   This was really my first experience with anything above the 'value' bourbons found under $30.  I was just blown away.  It was fantastic.  

5 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

First let me apologize for highlighting your post, GW; but, I did so to make clear the reference for my following question....

Is this a way to more politely call out a whiskey 'tater' . . ? ?

I think what he means by "whiskey-tuber" is someone making videos on YouTube relating to whiskey.  People often refer to ones that upload to their channel (for whatever topic be it cars, whiskey, botany etc) as YouTUBERS.  Just my 2 cents

yes botany,  

check this guy out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFS7D4QU-Qc

Edited by TehRegion219
linkage

42 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

I think what he means by "whiskey-tuber" is someone making videos on YouTube relating to whiskey.  People often refer to ones that upload to their channel (for whatever topic be it cars, whiskey, botany etc) as YouTUBERS.  Just my 2 cents

yes botany,  

check this guy out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFS7D4QU-Qc

Actually, I knew that when I wrote the post; but thanx for looking out for me.   Sometimes I really am that clueless, especially about current jargon and e-communications.

• I like it 1

I'm having a before supper pour of ORVW 10. After supper, who knows? This will probably be my last pours for a while. Surgery on my rotator cuff Friday morning. 

FWIW, the gold thumbs up in the pic was a little "atta boy" thing from work. My quality rate in the last fiscal year was below the accepted goal of 1 error for every 10,000 lines processed.

The coffee mug was a gift from my son and granddaughter. The Sandlot is one of my favorite movies. They figure I'll be drinking a lot of coffee for a while.

Biba! Joe

952CDF20-201D-4AA7-8812-615B6AB5EFD5_1_201_a copy.jpg

• I like it 8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.