CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

Wedelstaedt
4 hours ago, flahute said:

There is nothing special about the difference the bourbon may have from the current bottle. It's just a bottle/label style preference. A lot of us liked the orange cap because it's unique and the biggest champion of said orange cap was Harry who found it easy to find when in the back of the cabinet and hidden by other bottles.

If memory serves, Harry also appreciates the screw cap bottles  over the corked bottles. Because, the screw cap can removed silently, vs the distinctive POP! of a cork being removed from the bottle. Thus making an "undercover" pour possible as to avoid the sharp ears of Mrs. Harry. 

A great tip for us all. 

Yet another reason why Harry is Our Bourbonian of The Year!

Congrats & Cheers Harry!

• I like it 8

Soberiquet

With Lent coming up I will be forgoing alcohol, so I had to have a pour of one of my favorite bottles.

0224201849a.jpg

• I like it 2

LCWoody

I'm having a local store pick of KC SB tonight, chocolate goodness.... Man I'm going to miss these 14, 15 year KC's 

• I like it 2

Jazz Nut

I’m doing a side by side of Russell’s Reserve and Kentucky Spirit, both from Rickhouse A.  Both really good, and only a few barrels apart.  Interestingly, the Kentucky Spirit is one of the darker colored bourbons from the Kentucky Spirit I’ve tried.  If anyone is in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, I'd recommend picking them up from Haskell's (I've been through a bottle of the Russell's Reserve already, and went back and picked another up).

The Russell's Reserve is 9 years, 8 months, 11 days old, and one of the better picks in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that I've had over the last few years.  Haskell's had a few other barrel picks from Rickhouse B, and D, which were good as well, but I think they are sold out.

3568D1E3-F4EE-4720-9A9A-E094AC156568.jpeg

Edited by Jazz Nut

Kepler
10 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

So what's the deal with the orange caps? 

I just think they look cool

• I like it 1

Obeezy1Kaneezy

8CFE429A-AE43-4A13-B0F6-4ACC34EAE8C4.jpeg

• I like it 5

PaulO

Today I did a little hunting and came home with something unexpected -  Rebel Yell 100.

I assume this is still sourced from HH?  It sure does remind me of NAS Old Fitz BIB.  That's a good thing.  I think I'm getting a bit more cinnamon than I remember Old Fitz.  So far, I'm quite liking this.

Clueby
2 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Today I did a little hunting and came home with something unexpected -  Rebel Yell 100.

I assume this is still sourced from HH?  It sure does remind me of NAS Old Fitz BIB.  That's a good thing.  I think I'm getting a bit more cinnamon than I remember Old Fitz.  So far, I'm quite liking this.

Does it have the spearmint that OF BIB had? I tried RY100 in a flight and thought it was decent but there was a lot of stuff going on with different pours so it probably didn't get a very thorough tasting.

I had a tiny bit of Larceny from the HH sampler. Better than some Larceny I've had but still strong with the acetone. Gave the rest of the tube to Mrs. Clueby to finish. Moved on to Bernheim. Sweet and grainy like a stalk of fresh hay. I was surprised how much color it has. It's a couple shades darker than Larceny.

20200224_221446-784x1613.jpg

PaulO

I would say the RY does have some of the OF spearmint in the nose.  I like this better than most bottles of Larceny I've tried.

JCwhammie

OBSQ is one of my top 3 4R recipes. I seem to favor the middle tiers, which generally have proofs around 118-120 (of course there can be outliers). 

20200224_222941.jpg

• I like it 4

Richnimrod
9 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

8CFE429A-AE43-4A13-B0F6-4ACC34EAE8C4.jpeg

Pretty Pic, Obeezy!  Nice lighting, nice fuzzy background and nice bar-top.   I give you an 'A' on this one, my friend!

• I like it 2

Double C's
13 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

I’m doing a side by side of Russell’s Reserve and Kentucky Spirit, both from Rickhouse A.  Both really good, and only a few barrels apart.  Interestingly, the Kentucky Spirit is one of the darker colored bourbons from the Kentucky Spirit I’ve tried.  If anyone is in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, I'd recommend picking them up from Haskell's (I've been through a bottle of the Russell's Reserve already, and went back and picked another up).

The Russell's Reserve is 9 years, 8 months, 11 days old, and one of the better picks in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that I've had over the last few years.  Haskell's had a few other barrel picks from Rickhouse B, and D, which were good as well, but I think they are sold out.

3568D1E3-F4EE-4720-9A9A-E094AC156568.jpeg

I am assuming by your description that you ranked the RR over the KS? I did a side by side at my local LS not that long ago where the KS surprisingly was better than the RR.

Obeezy1Kaneezy
7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Pretty Pic, Obeezy!  Nice lighting, nice fuzzy background and nice bar-top.   I give you an 'A' on this one, my friend!

I give all credit to the iPhone 11 Pro Max :P

LCWoody

Having some Elijah Craig store pic while cooking some fillet mignon and boudin tonight...

A18B1112-9B94-4E16-967F-99CFF2839268.thumb.jpeg.015a87a4c8366053b3737075f95bd458.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 4

FacePlant
23 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Having some Elijah Craig store pic while cooking some fillet mignon and boudin tonight...

A18B1112-9B94-4E16-967F-99CFF2839268.thumb.jpeg.015a87a4c8366053b3737075f95bd458.jpeg

Always appreciating what you've got on the grill tonight. YUM. No winter in NOLA.

• I like it 2

Obeezy1Kaneezy

Re-binging Mad Men.  Got me in the mood. 

C36D8C91-35CF-4E6C-8311-54C0D369C6EE.jpeg

• I like it 2

Mako254

Fat Tuesday pour!

91 proof....and damn close to barrel proof when dumped. 

A more layered and complex ‘turkey. Like RR10 in hi-def. 

54E57D61-C19D-4D15-A31B-54DF0F857938.jpeg

• I like it 2

flahute
8 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Fat Tuesday pour!

54E57D61-C19D-4D15-A31B-54DF0F857938.jpeg

Lawrenceburg man - salute!

• I like it 1

BMartin42
Fat Tuesday pour!

54E57D61-C19D-4D15-A31B-54DF0F857938.thumb.jpeg.f69644dd13450b06099829ec00aec9a4.jpeg

I wish I had this bottle back. I truly enjoyed it but it didn’t get much love as I recall.

lcpfratn

I wish I had this bottle back. I truly enjoyed it but it didn’t get much love as I recall.

There are still quite a few to be found in stores in my area.
  • I like it 1

JCwhammie

20200225_222222.jpg

• I like it 4

marshall9779

Killed a Turkey last night. Need to pick up another.
IMG_4237.jpg

• I like it 1

Shizzy

Didn't have my own picture, so borrowed some Google stock.  I've been hitting this stuff pretty hard the past couple of months.  Just a fantastic expression at a ridiculously low price.  If you're lucky enough to be in an area where it's still plentiful....grab some. 

Jim-Beam-Cut.thumb.png.388b641055ecd084908a55c406f51045.png

• I like it 7

Shizzy
17 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

It sure didn't.  I still have about 3/4 of my bottle left.  I bring it out once in awhile and enjoy it.

• I like it 1

JCwhammie
3 minutes ago, Shizzy said:

Didn't have my own picture, so borrowed some Google stock.  I've been hitting this stuff pretty hard the past couple of months.  Just a fantastic expression at a ridiculously low price.  If you're lucky enough to be in an area where it's still plentiful....grab some. 

Jim-Beam-Cut.thumb.png.388b641055ecd084908a55c406f51045.png

I 100% agree. Unfortunately I haven't seen any in my area in well over 6 months.