What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not sure where to put these bunker busting posts? Bunker diving for me as I’m diving into the downstairs coat closet to pull these out.

People seem torn on the Rebel Yell 10yr but I’m a big fan. I think most days I’d take it over W12. The 13yr WP pick is supposed to be quite good. I know the other barrel pick they got in at the same time was supposed to be MGP, not sure on this one. The ECBP is something I’m done with but I need to push through and finish a few in the bunker.

IMG_8879.jpg

• I like it 2

I just can’t get past the Saccharine, Aspartame, Sweet n Low, or other artificial sweetener overtones of this one...  

I'm with my brother on this one.

There’s just no accounting for some folks lack of good taste! [emoji6][emoji12]
The 1910 is my favorite of the Whiskey Row series. Of course, there are a few other things that we have differences of opinion on...Dickel (Steve)...Funky Rums (Joe)...etc.

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

There’s just no accounting for some folks lack of good taste! emoji6.pngemoji12.png
The 1910 is my favorite of the Whiskey Row series. Of course, there are a few other things that we have differences of opinion on...Dickel (Steve)...Funky Rums (Joe)...etc.

LOL. 1910 doesn't repulse me like Dickel, but I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it so once I emptied it there was no need to replace it. I just generally don't like double barreled bourbons.

• I like it 2

LOL. 1910 doesn't repulse me like Dickel, but I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it so once I emptied it there was no need to replace it. I just generally don't like double barreled bourbons.

I’m just the opposite. I really like the dark chocolate and coffee notes that I get from double barreled bourbons.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Not sure where to put these bunker busting posts? Bunker diving for me as I’m diving into the downstairs coat closet to pull these out.

People seem torn on the Rebel Yell 10yr but I’m a big fan. I think most days I’d take it over W12. The 13yr WP pick is supposed to be quite good. I know the other barrel pick they got in at the same time was supposed to be MGP, not sure on this one. The ECBP is something I’m done with but I need to push through and finish a few in the bunker.

IMG_8879.jpg

Really like the Rebel Yell 10, and I love the "nice marmot" quote.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Its running $60-$70 around here.  I am NOT a fan of regular Larceny at all so I'm waiting to try this one before committing to a bottle.

Moi aussi!   ?

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Moi aussi!   ?

Pardon my French, but does that mean "Me too/me also"?

22 hours ago, flahute said:

I couldn't agree more with you, @flahute. While I love the 1920, the 1910 version just isn't my cup of tea....ur, I mean Bourbon. There's too much unoxidized, aggressive tannin coming from that second barrel. 

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

I couldn't agree more with you, @flahute. While I love the 1920, the 1910 version just isn't my cup of tea....ur, I mean Bourbon. 

^^^^^^Agree 110%^^^^^^^^^^

45 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

There's too much unoxidized, aggressive tannin coming from that second barrel. 

I didn't know how to describe it, but that description you provided turned on the light bulb for me. It's not just the 1910 where I get this. It's pretty much any double barrel bourbon I've tried.

• I like it 2

On 2/4/2020 at 10:33 PM, Vosgar said:

I had the same issue with the price, but bought 2 anyway. Damn glad I did, IMO it's excellent whiskey and well worth the $$.

If I happen to stumble onto some more of them, it'll be a true test of my bourbon zen :) 

I saw it previously for $50 and passed.  However, following reviews of forum members, it is on my buy list.  I have read on of the larger Indy area chains had it on sale last year.  I will wait a little longer to see if it goes on sale again.  I am not sure I have seen any bottles recently.

23 hours ago, flahute said:

I enjoyed my first bottle last year so I was anxious to replace it when it came out this year.  I even found a bottle of this year's release in the low $50s.  But, I am with @smokinjoe, it tasted like Coke Zero to me.  Almost like an oversweet diet cola.  However, it blends well with the 1920.   I recall enjoying it as a blend last year.  However, the first batch seemed more enjoyable on its own. Similar to you, I see no need to replace the bottle. 

I am actually sharing the remaining few pours in the bottle along with the remaining few pours in a bottle of 1920 with a co-worker who hasn't tried either.  I will give him a decent enough sample of each so he can try a nice pour of each neat and then as a blend.   

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

I couldn't agree more with you, @flahute. While I love the 1920, the 1910 version just isn't my cup of tea....ur, I mean Bourbon. There's too much unoxidized, aggressive tannin coming from that second barrel. 

This describes my Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.....

• I like it 1

Four Gate batch 3. Reputed to be Wild Turkey sourced.  I hope it’s a step or two above rare breed because the price sure was. 

D2F55DCD-80F7-4F71-930A-2558E164A36C.jpeg

• I like it 2

1st bottle ever of the cask strength.  Love the plain sister.

I think this marriage will go great (as long as it lasts)!

0208200513.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

0208200513.jpg

Definitely will.  Vya is my absolute favorite vermouth!  In case you didn't know, it doesn't have any caramel color like most other brands do.

• I like it 1

I’m not going to quote everyone, but I too dislike 1910, as well as 1920. It just tastes like flat Tab to me. 

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Some odds and ends from my 2 days in Kentucky this past week. 

AE86B71E-1EE5-49D2-BA5B-D35FA98B7C8D.jpeg

Wow - nice pick ups.  Where you able to get the President's Choice on Main Street at OF?

Some odds and ends from my 2 days in Kentucky this past week. 

AE86B71E-1EE5-49D2-BA5B-D35FA98B7C8D.thumb.jpeg.3bdd90e1e7c2c40555b4e6ac3c01a6ef.jpeg

I clearly need to be paying more attention. A few there are new to me. I need to get back in know of what’s out there now.

4 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

That looks like the makings of a killer Manhattan!  But the BM CS Reserve is great neat, too...

On 2/6/2020 at 8:47 PM, lcpfratn said:

I’m just the opposite. I really like the dark chocolate and coffee notes that I get from double barreled bourbons.

What really piqued my interest in this one (the 1910) was an interview I heard with the brand ambassador from Brown-Foreman where she described the process. Apparently the 2nd barrel is not only charred, but charred to the point of disintegration. To me that made it more unique than most double barrel expressions. 

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, n811 said:

Definitely will.  Vya is my absolute favorite vermouth!  In case you didn't know, it doesn't have any caramel color like most other brands do.

Thanks for the info.  My second go to is Cocchi.  Do you know if that has color added?

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

That looks like the makings of a killer Manhattan!  But the BM CS Reserve is great neat, too...

Love the BM classic neat.  I always try the first sip of an untried whiskey neat just to find it's true taste.  From fellow SBers comments, this should be a pleasant experience. Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.