What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am down to my last bottle of ECBP, so have been on the lookout for a C919. I was out of town visiting the inlaws and snagged the last bottle at their ABC for $62.99 (a bargain in South FL). 136.8 proof and delish. I still have a bottle of B519 122.2 to try side by side. I wish I hadn't just polished off my B518 133.4, it would have made a nice side by side.

Killing time waiting for wife to finish an appt yesterday.  So decided to visit Total wine.   

Found some good stuff.

Have been wanting to try the New Riff Rye.

Had to get OGD 114 and BiB for the bunker as I am about to finish my current bottles of those.   

I am not a huge Knob Creek fan - except the picks I have gotten of the 120 proof have been really good - so saw they had a 15 year and figured what are the chances of seeing anything near that anytime soon.   Tried it last night and it is great!    Glad I decided to grab an extra for the bunker.

The KC rye was just because - ~6 year pick at 115 - so figured why not.

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

Just picked up the first bottle I've seen of Dickel BIB.  Appears to be about 13 years old -  some BIB!    My initial impression is positive,  and I'm tempted to pick up a Dickel 12 to do a comparison.   I've always liked Dickel's corny, chocksy taste - it's distinctive,  in the best sense of that term.   I know it's not a favorite around here,  but I think it fits as a member of the regular rotation.  

• I like it 3

In the last couple of weeks, I've added the Larceny BP A120, ECBP C919 and B519, OF1920, FRSiB, and a CNA RRSB; all courtesy of my favorite shop in Taxachusetts.   

I have also made good on my plan to create an instant armagnac collection. 

A few special Scotch whiskies from Campbeltown from my wish list were also discovered this week in Elkton.  I also bought some mid-shelf Sherry; a suggestion for palate training in Sherried Scotch.  

My credit card melted, so I think this might be it for awhile...

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, tascabe said:

Killing time waiting for wife to finish an appt yesterday.  So decided to visit Total wine.   

Found some good stuff.

Have been wanting to try the New Riff Rye.

Had to get OGD 114 and BiB for the bunker as I am about to finish my current bottles of those.   

I am not a huge Knob Creek fan - except the picks I have gotten of the 120 proof have been really good - so saw they had a 15 year and figured what are the chances of seeing anything near that anytime soon.   Tried it last night and it is great!    Glad I decided to grab an extra for the bunker.

The KC rye was just because - ~6 year pick at 115 - so figured why not.

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

LMFAO!  This split screen confused me for a minute.  I was like...."daaaamn, he must like himself some TW store picks of KC to get that cool sticker for his counter.

• I like it 2

Found a great store that had 15+ year KC picks for $39.99 and I couldn't help myself and stocked up while these are still an option. 

I heard that 2004 was a one-off year for production at Jim Beam and they got a little overboard.  It seems as though we probably won't see these older products in the foreseeable future and they are officially out of the 14+ year barrels.

20200226_224221.jpg

20200226_195152.jpg

• I like it 2

Got a bottle of Old Weller Antique 107 at a Kroger in Columbus, OH today, $50. Last week bought a bottle of Pikesville Rye in a liquor store outside of Lafayette, IN for $39.

24.99 bottles of ER10

33.99 OGD 114

16.10 JB distiller cut!!

I should have passed on the 114 but ran out last night and had to grab it while it was there. 

F3730D3C-70EC-4058-B10F-E88A8E71E97C.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

...I heard that 2004 was a one-off year for production at Jim Beam and they got a little overboard....

20200226_224221.jpg

20200226_195152.jpg

Going over this statement, and wondering what it means?

32 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Going over this statement, and wondering what it means?

They overproduced whiskey to age in the distilling seasons of 2004. That is why we are currently seeing all of the 14 & 15-Year store picks.

It seems they lowered their production numbers from that point and it is incredibly unlikely we will see anything that is 13+ years old moving forward.

32 minutes ago, clearmoon247 said:

They overproduced whiskey to age in the distilling seasons of 2004. That is why we are currently seeing all of the 14 & 15-Year store picks.

It seems they lowered their production numbers from that point and it is incredibly unlikely we will see anything that is 13+ years old moving forward.

Is this your theory or do you have some inside info?

Great Price! Did you try it first? That’s a lot of bottles to get through if this barrel does not suit your palate. I’ve not come across any true duds in the KC 13-15 year picks, but some have certainly shined brighter than others.  

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Is this your theory or do you have some inside info?

Great Price! Did you try it first? That’s a lot of bottles to get through if this barrel does not suit your palate. I’ve not come across any true duds in the KC 13-15 year picks, but some have certainly shined brighter than others.  

I heard from a friend who just this week did a pick and was provided that info from the brand ambassador who was curating the pick. I haven't tried this specific pick yet because I still have 3 other 14-15 year picks currently open that I want to get through first.

With that being said, this one seems interesting with its age and warehouse location. I felt comfortable with the investment as I haven't found a 14+ year pick I didn't enjoy.  Worse case scenario,  I can trade them for other things.

Not purchased but received as retirement gifts this week. The GTS is compliments of fishnbowljoe and galvin0791. Thanks guys, you're the best!!! The other two are PS bottles my boss gave me. Not shown is another GTS that fishnbowljoe's son gave me a couple of months ago when my upcoming retirement was announced (we work together, or should I say, used to :)). I discovered a small hairline crack in the bottle so I decanted it into another.

retirement.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 13

8 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Not purchased but received as retirement gifts this week. The GTS is compliments of fishnbowljoe and galvin0791. Thanks guys, you're the best!!! The other two are PS bottles my boss gave me. Not shown is another GTS that fishnbowljoe's son gave me a couple of months ago when my upcoming retirement was announced (we work together, or should I say, used to :)). I discovered a small hairline crack in the bottle so I decanted it into another.

retirement.jpg

Congratulations! Tight lines and full Glens!

So the wife tells me she has plans today and I’m on my own.  Sunny but cool day so, I take the 80 Corvette out for a drive.  I went over to Kentucky Lake in hopes of seeing a few eagles.  Stopped by a few liquor stores.  I was standing around one talking with the owner when he asks if he can drive the car.  Sure, why not.

We get back about 30 minutes later and he tells me to come in.  He offers me:

PVW 15 - $129.99

Stagg Jr. - $49.99

Blantons - $55.99

I said yes.  I can’t remember the last time I ran into PVW 15 without standing in a lottery, and I don’t do lotteries.  Maybe  2014?  At realistic pricing that is.

And saw this on the way home.

E642814D-CEFE-43F6-9494-010B98C4780C.jpeg

AD6E14DD-60CB-447C-9848-A2C9CC2CA9FA.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 18

29 minutes ago, markandrex said:

So the wife tells me she has plans today and I’m on my own.  Sunny but cool day so, I take the 80 Corvette out for a drive.  I went over to Kentucky Lake in hopes of seeing a few eagles.  Stopped by a few liquor stores.  I was standing around one talking with the owner when he asks if he can drive the car.  Sure, why not.

We get back about 30 minutes later and he tells me to come in.  He offers me:

PVW 15 - $129.99

Stagg Jr. - $49.99

Blantons - $55.99

I said yes.  I can’t remember the last time I ran into PVW 15 without standing in a lottery, and I don’t do lotteries.  Maybe  2014?  At realistic pricing that is.

And saw this on the way home.

E642814D-CEFE-43F6-9494-010B98C4780C.jpeg

AD6E14DD-60CB-447C-9848-A2C9CC2CA9FA.jpeg

Nice haul! I came across an occupied eagle nest last time I was out kayak fishing down here in SW Florida way up a tidal creek where boats can't reach

2 minutes ago, GTStagg said:

Nice haul! I came across an occupied eagle nest last time I was out kayak fishing down here in SW Florida way up a tidal creek where boats can't reach

Truely majestic birds.  They are becoming very common around here.  Common but breathtaking.  There is an active nest about 1/4 mile from my house.  This is the second year for the pair on the creek.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

retirement.jpg

Congratulations on your retirement Gary! 

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

[H in WDC - deleted pic to save bandwidth and to cut down on bottle envy and drooling on keyboards as we've seen this image several times already and at least my keyboard is getting sticky.]

WELCOME to the Club and congratulations.  Some advice (which I have posted on SB before but STILL swear by) -

For a few months, you may feel at loose ends and watch too much TV, sleep too much, find yourself driving toward work when you meant to go to the gas station, feel an urge to be "productive", etc.  THIS IS NORMAL!   LAUGH AT IT or feel guilty!  DO NOT rush into a full schedule of "productive" activities.  That'll happen naturally.

DO NOT schedule errands to two or more places with lines on the same day.  F'rinstance, Post Office and supermarket the day before a snowstorm is a NONO!  Let those other poor slobs wait in two-lines-a-day.

That's it.  Enjoy your "leisure" time.  If you are like most of the rest of us, your big dilemma now will be, "How do I choose what to do from ALL that stuff I used to ignore out-of-hand with a "NO WAY NO TIME" tag???"  Because NOW, you could do it if you REALLY want to.  Provided a spouse says, "Uh, OK."

Again, congratulations.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
it is "an urge", not "and urge" Damn those"d"s. They just won't stay quiet.
  • I like it 7

A couple of pick ups this week. The F-6 is the 2nd bottle of this pick. At some point I’m going to have a pour of this bottle while listening to the Stones’ “Brown Sugar”. 

Warehouse G is always good. 

97ED1DC2-548A-41A8-98CA-F4380FDA825B.jpeg

3DA81093-220A-4BCD-8631-3D9D779C463B.jpeg

• I like it 4

19 hours ago, Vosgar said:

retirement.jpg

Awesome! Happy Retirement!

A buddy who Uber drives picked this up for me and I got it from him yesterday evening.

He was picking up an Uber food delivery from a BBQ joint that got their own barrel of Weller, and got them to sell him a couple bottles of it for a normal price.

I’ve come back around to enjoying WSR again, as it seems to have gotten significantly better since the bottle change a few years ago.  Single barrels of special reserve seem to be the forgotten red headed step child around here, as most places choose Antique or Full proof now for their bottling option.

31E423FC-3F72-46FE-B38B-D8EC4D410A7C.jpeg

• I like it 1

Being part of a local whiskey club has its perks.  Im not out hunting anymore,  i just accept the offers when they come.

ECBP  C919 and B519 - $49.99 each

HH 7 BIB - $44.99

Weller 107 - $44.99

And i splurged on a Rhetoric 25 year - $179.99

20200301_112124.jpg

• I like it 4

Not a purchase but my wife brought this home from a relatives estate.  Her Uncle was a super cool fella who used to sell something to Barton in the old days. I never got the full story but was told they used to fill his trunk up with bourbon sometimes when he made a delivery. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 18

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.