Jump to content

What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sometimes all you need is a little serendipity! After not getting any PHC Rye last year our former HH rep who has since moved up the ladder managed to get us one bottle. Well today one of the reps(from another company) was walking the shelves and noted another bottle just sitting on the shelf like it had nothing better to do. But this came up while another good customer was in the back helping us do some, umm, "Q&A," on the CEHT 18 Year Marriage. Since I got the first one I (reluctantly) told him he could have it (I made no move to actually hand it to him of course and may or may not have said it with the saddest puppy dog face I could manage. When he left and didn't take the bottle I of course, most reluctantly, took home with me to make sure it got a good home. I didn't want to of course but somebody has to make the sacrifice...

 

1842749382_PHCRye.jpeg.6bcaf5fbeff4cafb33fc8f317756cd76.jpeg

 

At least my first bottle now has a friend!

 

 

Heehee!  I’ve seen your puppy dog face!  There’s no WAY he was taking the bottle!  ?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mattk

    100

  • Kepler

    53

  • 0895

    53

  • smokinjoe

    31

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reached back in the cabinet and pulled out a not that oldie but a real goody... I’m surprised this bottle is not empty, I love this rye..

Maybe not sexy or exotic but this is such a solid pour. I was able to network a much needed transfer/promotion for one of our analysts at work. As a thank you after lunch we took a trip to TW an

Just checking in to say hello, enjoying a pour of DSP354 Rittenhouse that tastes simply magical at the moment. 

Posted Images

Picked up a Whistle Pig Piggyback 6 yr on a flyer, today.  Sipping now, and I do like it.  Took awhile for the nose to blossom, but the first sips brought a good bit of in-your-face spicy punchiness with some sweetness, baking spices, and oak.  There’s a nice black Necco Wafer thing going on which really hits my “Like” button full on.  The oak shows in a youngish manner, not entirely unpleasant, but distracting.  A bit of wet, fresh tobacco at the end of the palate that follows through on a nicely lingering finish.  This tobacco note is nice.
Even though the attractive price is what impelled me to pick it off the shelf and take a look-see, I still grimaced a bit when doing so.  The 100% rye sourced from Canada specs immediately comforted me (I really wasn’t interested in yet another IN rye) and calmed my dissonance to the point of “let’s buy it”.  And after tasting, I’d say, for good reason.  Outside of the little bit of youthfulness that comes through, it’s an otherwise solid pour.  

EDF7B5E1-FF80-4FDB-A687-5000701AF307.jpeg

  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracked my WFE 4yr 109.2. Very good. Glad I have two, don’t think this one will last long. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started off the afternoon with a stout beer and had to rinse my Winter Classic cup out with something.... 

I love EHT Rye. I haven’t opened a bottle in quite some time. Very good. This is a 2016 bottle. 
A544BD92-BD06-4837-9F71-36BCD44358DD.thumb.jpeg.ffd2178870147465b779cb4890654e95.jpeg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I really like this one. Probably my favorite release from last year. But I have has quite a few 15d17 bottles. And I know a few friends that have enjoyed them too. I'm starting to wonder just how big that barrel was...IMG_20200630_182157.thumb.jpg.a3257728a6ebe4e53bf03d2ad5e70684.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
BoilerinIL

Tonight I'm having a 12 year old Whistle Pig finished in Mead barrels. It is good but only 86 proof. Would be better at a higher proof.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
scratchline

Hadn't seen this one before and as a Wild Turkey fan felt like I had to pick it up.  Not sure it's better than the Knob Creek barrel proof rye which I can get for five bucks less but it's a great sipper and makes a great Manhattan. 

IMG_4954.thumb.jpg.63e2a08e2f4f59e40e58e5f340bb9c3b.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
marshall9779
3 hours ago, scratchline said:

Hadn't seen this one before and as a Wild Turkey fan felt like I had to pick it up.  Not sure it's better than the Knob Creek barrel proof rye which I can get for five bucks less but it's a great sipper and makes a great Manhattan. 

IMG_4954.thumb.jpg.63e2a08e2f4f59e40e58e5f340bb9c3b.jpg

Let us know your thoughts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mattk said:

So I really like this one. Probably my favorite release from last year. But I have has quite a few 15d17 bottles. And I know a few friends that have enjoyed them too. I'm starting to wonder just how big that barrel was...IMG_20200630_182157.thumb.jpg.a3257728a6ebe4e53bf03d2ad5e70684.jpg

? 

That is very odd. I picked mine up at a TW in Louisville in October (I believe). Either it's a crazy coincidence that we all got bottles from the same barrel or some people in Danville, KY have some 'splainin' to do

20200701_134707.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

? 

That is very odd. I picked mine up at a TW in Louisville in October (I believe). Either it's a crazy coincidence that we all got bottles from the same barrel or some people in Danville, KY have some 'splainin' to do

20200701_134707.jpg

Also odd that the proof is different

Link to post
Share on other sites
scratchline
4 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Let us know your thoughts. 

Wild Turkey Rare Breed rye.

 

Poured this for my wife alongside the Knob Creek cask strength rye.  She tasted blind.  She really couldn't handle the KC without a cube.  Liked them both but found the KC spicier.  She thought the RB was very caramel and butterscotch forward with a medium length finish.    She didn't have a clear favorite but when pushed said that she'd choose the Knob Creek rye with a cube over the Turkey. 

 

I preferred the RB which surprised me since I was pulling for the KC (full disclosure--5 dollars cheaper for me).  I got what Jenny was saying about the alcohol heat on the KC rye although I've never found it hard to sip straight.  But the most pronounced flavor to me was a liquorice/Mike and Ike taste that really hung on with the Rare Breed rye.  I really enjoyed that and thought it pulled the WT ahead of the Knob.

 

-Mike

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, scratchline said:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed rye.

 

Poured this for my wife alongside the Knob Creek cask strength rye.  She tasted blind.  She really couldn't handle the KC without a cube.  Liked them both but found the KC spicier.  She thought the RB was very caramel and butterscotch forward with a medium length finish.    She didn't have a clear favorite but when pushed said that she'd choose the Knob Creek rye with a cube over the Turkey. 

 

I preferred the RB which surprised me since I was pulling for the KC (full disclosure--5 dollars cheaper for me).  I got what Jenny was saying about the alcohol heat on the KC rye although I've never found it hard to sip straight.  But the most pronounced flavor to me was a liquorice/Mike and Ike taste that really hung on with the Rare Breed rye.  I really enjoyed that and thought it pulled the WT ahead of the Knob.

 

-Mike

Thanks for the notes Mike!  I'll put a bottle on the shopping list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really looking forward to that rare breed rye. Today I got myself another KC store pick and another pinhook rye'd on. Someone drank all of mine. The old Forrester store pick is a gift for a friend.

IMG_20200702_161559.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Local craft distillery released this year’s barrel of their 5 year cask strength rye this week.

The 2019 has won several blind sbs tastings against ‘18 THH.

 

The 2020 is about 10 proof points lower and is different.

Much more like some of the KY owl ryes or older High West ryes.

Dangerously easy to drink for 115p, loaded with baking spices and a hint of leather.  Right in my wheelhouse.

I am massively impressed once again by the quality coming out of this place.

?

3150AB4A-3874-4579-8A66-190EA05D059E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Local craft distillery released this year’s barrel of their 5 year cask strength rye this week.

The 2019 has won several blind sbs tastings against ‘18 THH.

 

The 2020 is about 10 proof points lower and is different.

Much more like some of the KY owl ryes or older High West ryes.

Dangerously easy to drink for 115p, loaded with baking spices and a hint of leather.  Right in my wheelhouse.

I am massively impressed once again by the quality coming out of this place.

?

3150AB4A-3874-4579-8A66-190EA05D059E.jpeg

I need to get down there to pick my bottle up. I'm looking forward to having it on my shelf. I contemplated getting 2. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a bottling that I cannot find even on Knob Creek's web site: Knob Creek Twice Barreled Rye (100 proof). It is delicious, with a buttery note.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in the mood for something lighter. So I went Canadian as it is one of my favorites, but went budget with a lot 40 yellow lable. It was a bit of a thicker cut then I was looking for. So I grabbed a Dickel. That was definitely light enough on the pallet for the heat we've had recently. Also does anyone have a lot 40 green label they can post a picture of the bottom portion of the front label for me? I remember it being a sweeter sip, and don't recall it saying malted rye.

IMG_20200708_155144.jpg

15942495900581337750060.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I stuck to ryes tonight, and a fairly varied lineup it has been too. It ran the gamut from high corn/barely legal(?)  (Wild Turkey 101) to unique higher malt (Old Forester 100) to now 95% rye MGP mashbill (Redemption 8 Year batch #1 wax top).

All have been very different but excellent in their own way. 

 

Straight Rye can provide a more varied tasting experience than does straight bourbon.

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This one has nice color for being only 15 months old. It is a strange whiskey. Theres some candy on the nose, and theres certainly some oak influence. I like the spice on the palate. The copper penny thing is a bit dominant, though. 

20200711_182030.jpg

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to jazz at the beach, and sipping Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey.    The prrof is surprisingly light for such a flavorful pour.  Pumperinickel bread in a glass.  Goes good with the stars.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC

OForester Rye 100 proof.  Found it in the trunk of my car when cleaning the car up before turning it in for service (about 15 months overdue).  I knew there was a Virgin 101 7YR in the trunk, but I found 7 plastic bags, 5 paper bags, a second V101 7, and this OF 100 Rye in there.  Left the paper bags for future use as padding.

 

For those of us old enough to remember it, Beechnut Spearmint Gum comes to mind as I sip on the OF Rye 100.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
"trunk" is not spelled 'trunjk" so I took out the "j"
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

For those of us old enough to remember it, Beechnut Spearmint Gum comes to mind as I sip on the OF Rye 100.

 

When I hear Beechnut I think of chewing tobacco not gum. Trying to rack my brain to recall Beechnut Chewing gum ...

 

Back on topic, the defining flavor note that I get from OF Rye is a plum note. Not totally unlike Kentucky Owl Rye...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wedelstaedt

Beechnut gum was popular back when Blackjack & Clove gums were around. I see it at the odd convenience store now & then. 

 

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.