What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/15/2020 at 5:41 PM, mal00768 said:

I hope those things are life changing bro.

lol....I'm sure they won't be.

On 6/16/2020 at 3:44 PM, PaulO said:

When I look at what's on shelves, the standard 80 proof Early Times Whiskey is available everywhere.  The product as it is contains like 50% whiskey from reused barrels.  That's why it can't be labeled "bourbon".   I assume reusing some barrels, and having a brand for young whiskey fits a niche in the Sazerac family of brands.  Early Times customers probably mix most of it, so expectations are low.

The bonded version is quite different.  All I can say is we'll see.  I hope it doesn't go the way of Eagle Rare 101, or National Distillers Old Taylor.

ET was one of my gateway whiskies back when I was 19, I liked it quite a lot then and consumed more than my fair share, it was still a straight bourbon back then IIRC. It fell off the radar till the BiB was launched. I was delighted to have an old friend back and, it seemed, better than ever.  Not being much of a BT fan outside of a couple of expressions, I can't help but be bummed out by BFs decision to abandon the brand just when it seemed they got it right again. On topic, buying what else? ETBIB before the curtain falls for good.

Picked up some thing new for my long Father’s Day and B-day weekend. Heard good things. Can’t wait to crack later to kick off the weekend.

D5990F84-6074-4B56-9101-D4E42BC0A6CE.jpeg

Wife sent me to Liquor Barn (foolish woman) to pick up some wine to take to her brother's tonight and some more of those frozen wine pouches.  I of course had to peruse the bourbon aisle.  I had bought a smaller bottle of Old Tub when you could only get it at the distillery and lately I've been on a bottom shelf BIB kick.  I had the EW BIB, HH BIB & JTS Brown BIB so I decided to pick up a bottle of the JW Dant BIB.

JW DANT.jpg

• I like it 3

It’s been quite a while since I’ve had Old Tub. All I can remember is that it wasn’t too bad. If it’s not too much trouble, I’d appreciate some tasting notes from y’all that have bought this recently.  Thanks.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

picked up 2 different WTKS store pics. they had those plus 3 different RR pics, but i love that WTKS profile.

I was in the Lake Minnetonka area just west of Minneapolis and stopped for a few bottles of wine, at MGM Liquor for a grill out and stumbled upon a 15+ year knob creek single barrel pick from a local bar called Brit’s pub.  I opened the bottle to share at the barbecue,  and though I don’t have specific tasting notes, this drank well below the 120 proof with a good amount of complexity and it’s not an oak bomb.  Based on the apparent quality I’m going to pick two more up and it looks like they had a full shelf, FYI

456F20AF-A382-4F4E-AAF0-151090392705.jpeg

• I like it 3

Sad update they only had two bottles left they sold a bunch last night and this morning apparently.

1 hour ago, Jazz Nut said:

Sad update they only had two bottles left they sold a bunch last night and this morning apparently.

These don't sit on the shelves like they used to.  I think the word is out on KC SiB store picks...

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s been quite a while since I’ve had Old Tub. All I can remember is that it wasn’t too bad. If it’s not too much trouble, I’d appreciate some tasting notes from y’all that have bought this recently.  Thanks.

Biba! Joe

As I sit here nosing and swirling it around in my mouth . . . On the nose, you can tell it's Beam right off the bat, but without a lot of acetone.  Mouth feel is pretty good for a 4 year old bourbon.  I get some burnt sugar but definitely not sweet.  As I was tasting it I got the feeling that it is, at least to me, a toned down version of Baker's.  That being said I poured some Baker's and I do think that is the case.  

I like that it is non filtered.  The other non filtered lower proof Beam bottles (Repeal Batch & Distiller's Cut) fall into the same area (lower proof/more flavor).  Plus at around $24 (in KY) it isn't going to break the bank.

I give it ??.

• I like it 2

Got lucky... I’ve been hunting cigar blend for awhile! I left two on the shelf, so hopefully bourbon karma will come through. 

64E138BB-40F8-40DF-9E40-7385B63A3C58.jpeg

• I like it 3

Picked up a RRSiB PS, an Elijah Craig B520, and an OGD BIB today. Was hoping for 2 of the Russel's Reserve picks that they had but, because I didn't hit the store Thursday or Friday, only got one.

6 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

As I sit here nosing and swirling it around in my mouth . . . On the nose, you can tell it's Beam right off the bat, but without a lot of acetone.  Mouth feel is pretty good for a 4 year old bourbon.  I get some burnt sugar but definitely not sweet.  As I was tasting it I got the feeling that it is, at least to me, a toned down version of Baker's.  That being said I poured some Baker's and I do think that is the case.  

I like that it is non filtered.  The other non filtered lower proof Beam bottles (Repeal Batch & Distiller's Cut) fall into the same area (lower proof/more flavor).  Plus at around $24 (in KY) it isn't going to break the bank.

I give it ??.

Thanks Kevin ?

Biba! Joe

7 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I give it ??.

Thanks for the review.  It sounds like a try.  I just wish there were pictures of the bottle.  I am a visual learner.  ?

Been away awhile due to work (covid making hour worse) but I'm finishing up my residency and have been gifted the WP15 and bought the Cornerstone as my own personal treat!

BE0F0061-9C00-4629-9246-715301374E1E.jpeg

BC0BFED2-8902-4AC8-BA01-87C2284A1890.jpeg

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Thanks for the review.  It sounds like a try.  I just wish there were pictures of the bottle.  I am a visual learner.  ?

Ask and ye shall receive.

JW DANT.jpg

• I like it 1

Not a purchase but my daughter dropped off my Father's Day gift this morning. 

20200621_143104.jpg

• I like it 6

I've cut way back on purchases lately - long past time to reduce the many open bottles setting around.  Been making some headway so I decided to splurge for few new ones, and a couple reliables to bunker.  Enjoying both of the "County" bourbons - the Daviess has a pleasantly thicker mouthfeel than I was expecting (maybe the result of the extra 6 months in French oak?) + a medium-short and warm (not burn) hug.  Since it's labeled as a straight bourbon comprised of a wheater and a rye blend, distilled in KY and bottled for Lux-Row, I'm swagging that it's HH sourced for both - haven't found any confirmation as such yet.  I was afraid it might have some of the lingering young/green aftertaste I've been getting from the last bottle or few of Larceny, but it doesn't.  The Boone is much better than I was expecting as well.  Both will be on the purchase list again.  The handle of JWD BiB was actually cheaper here (at the only AR shop I've seen it so far,  then I spent the savings on the ET BiB from an east TX shop (I felt bad for it sitting all alone, and I likely won't get back to KY for a good while yet).   

Resizer_15927710245211.jpg

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

I've cut way back on purchases lately - long past time to reduce the many open bottles setting around.  Been making some headway so I decided to splurge for few new ones, and a couple reliables to bunker.  Enjoying both of the "County" bourbons - the Daviess has a pleasantly thicker mouthfeel than I was expecting (maybe the result of the extra 6 months in French oak?) + a medium-short and warm (not burn) hug.  Since it's labeled as a straight bourbon comprised of a wheater and a rye blend, distilled in KY and bottled for Lux-Row, I'm swagging that it's HH sourced for both - haven't found any confirmation as such yet.  I was afraid it might have some of the lingering young/green aftertaste I've been getting from the last bottle or few of Larceny, but it doesn't.  The Boone is much better than I was expecting as well.  Both will be on the purchase list again.  The handle of JWD BiB was actually cheaper here (at the only AR shop I've seen it so far,  then I spent the savings on the ET BiB from an east TX shop (I felt bad for it sitting all alone, and I likely won't get back to KY for a good while yet).   

Resizer_15927710245211.jpg

Any further tasting notes to share on the Daviess County?

Thanks,

Costco run today resulted in some Granny’s Batch for the ride home......

53B9CA54-ABDA-45FF-86B9-EDBF2353EF0E.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, parksmart said:

53B9CA54-ABDA-45FF-86B9-EDBF2353EF0E.jpeg

Good price! Almost like the old days. I have only purchased one bottle of Bookers since the price hike that I got for about that with a 20% off coupon. This may have been tempting to get too. How do you like the newer ones vs. the older batches when they were 6 per year and around $55?

2 hours ago, silverc said:

Good price! Almost like the old days. I have only purchased one bottle of Bookers since the price hike that I got for about that with a 20% off coupon. This may have been tempting to get too. How do you like the newer ones vs. the older batches when they were 6 per year and around $55?

Haven’t popped any recent batches.  Still got a stash of 4 bottles of Blue Knights Batch 2017-02 I’m very, very slowly working through.......?

5 hours ago, parksmart said:

Just for clarification..... when you say "for the ride home" are you saying you cracked it open and drank it out of the bottle on your way home like you would a beer? :D

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.