What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, BDanner said:

I've never seen a Private Select MM before, so I snatched that up courtesy of Wrightsville Beach ABC. Kept passing on the Woodinville, but finally succumbed to temptation. I should've kept passing, not a fan. Looking forward to cracking that MMPS, though!

IMG_8497 2.jpg

Sorry about the Woodinville.  I have never tried it. But, the MMPS should help ease the disappointment. 

• I like it 1

New member here, hello everyone!
To make a theme of it, I bought a new bottle that I spotted after visiting one of my favorite local stores which recently reopened for foot traffic. For two $20 bills I figured it was worth a shot even though it didn’t initially peak my interest when it was announced. Chalk it up to supporting the community. 

AEF46DCB-EFAE-4C62-827C-B43A83EAD575.jpeg

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, BrownNose said:

New member here, hello everyone!
To make a theme of it, I bought a new bottle that I spotted after visiting one of my favorite local stores which recently reopened for foot traffic. For two $20 bills I figured it was worth a shot even though it didn’t initially peak my interest when it was announced. Chalk it up to supporting the community. 

AEF46DCB-EFAE-4C62-827C-B43A83EAD575.jpeg

First, welcome to the forums. Second, I had never heard of this before your post. It sounds like a 94 proof WSR. Just curious,  where did you get it as in area of the country?  A 7 year old BT wheat @ 94 proof sounds interesting. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

First, welcome to the forums. Second, I had never heard of this before your post. It sounds like a 94 proof WSR. Just curious,  where did you get it as in area of the country?  A 7 year old BT wheat @ 94 proof sounds interesting. 

Thank you I’m in north NJ & I had the same thought. If it ends up being somewhere between WSR and W107 in terms of quality then it may be a little overpriced but only one way to find out

10 hours ago, BDanner said:

I've never seen a Private Select MM before, so I snatched that up courtesy of Wrightsville Beach ABC. Kept passing on the Woodinville, but finally succumbed to temptation. I should've kept passing, not a fan. Looking forward to cracking that MMPS, though!

IMG_8497 2.jpg

4 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Same here on the Woodinville. I was expecting better, given comments I've seen here.  But like you, I bit the bullet and gave it a try.  I guess or think that's what we're here for, to try new bourbons experiences.  I don't dislike it and I think 'bad' bourbons are few and far between.  For me, it falls in the lighter end of the good, better best categories.  But that's just my taste.  My 2 cents for what its worth.  Cheers!

I'm one of those who has talked positively about Woodinville so I apologize if I steered you guys wrong. The ones I really like are the private selections at barrel proof. Because of those I haven't bought any of the standard product since the early ones which I did not like. For what it's worth, those work well in cocktails.

• I like it 2

ECBP

Didn't want to waste the big ice cube, left over from an Old Fashioned?

20200614_214400.jpg

• I like it 4

Willett put up a 15 year WFE up on their website last week so I drove down on Saturday to pick them up.   You had no idea the barrel number or proof of what you were buying, just the age.  They apparently had at least 3 different barrels  and for those who are wondering, the price was $784.40 after tax per bottle.  I sure do miss the pricing from 10 years ago!  Honestly, I would have passed on the bottles, but we were heading to Bardstown anyways so I figured why not....

3x15yrwfe.jpg

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Willett put up a 15 year WFE up on their website last week so I drove down on Saturday to pick them up.   You had no idea the barrel number or proof of what you were buying, just the age.  They apparently had at least 3 different barrels  and for those who are wondering, the price was $784.40 after tax per bottle.  I sure do miss the pricing from 10 years ago!  Honestly, I would have passed on the bottles, but we were heading to Bardstown anyways so I figured why not....

3x15yrwfe.jpg

Was wondering if anybody pulled the trigger on them... I may have thought about it if I was anywhere near able to get down there... Congrats on the pickups.

Wow! I remember back in the day the 28 yr old WFE (Chocolate Monster) that went to CA was only $400.00 and something. I was lucky enough to get a taste of that one. It was very, very good, but I couldn't see $400.00 + then, and I can't see $700.00 + now. Congrats though John.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Since Saz bought ET, and I knew where some were at a fair price, I grabbed an ET BIB on the way home from pt this afternoon. As a bonus, the same place had my coffee on sale too!  Win-Win! ?

Biba! Joe

FWIW, there's only one coffee pictured, but I bought the last three they had.  ;)

DSC_0007.jpeg

1 hour ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

3x15yrwfe.jpg

I hope those things are life changing bro.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

This one was an Old Forester Single Barrel. This was the first I ever saw a bottle of this. I like most OF's anyway, so I grabbed one of those too. As I was checking out, the manager spotted me, and asked how I was doing. After a couple more pleasantries the manger suggested I try their pick of Old Elk Wheat. I held up the two bottles I already purchased and said maybe next time. The manager said okay, and knowing my fondness for Weller's/wheaters, let me know it was a really different but very good wheated bourbon.

Glad you got a good OF SiB.  I have tried a handful and gone through 2-3 bottles and the ones I had were just meh.  I like most BF stuff, but did not ever get a good SiB at 90pf.  

I was not a huge fan of the 5yr Old Elk Wheat.  IIRC it's 95% wheat in the mash right?  I ended up not buying any of the line after trying them.  Did not fit the budget and I will circle back in a a few years .

• I like it 2

36 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Glad you got a good OF SiB.  I have tried a handful and gone through 2-3 bottles and the ones I had were just meh.  I like most BF stuff, but did not ever get a good SiB at 90pf.  

I was not a huge fan of the 5yr Old Elk Wheat.  IIRC it's 95% wheat in the mash right?  I ended up not buying any of the line after trying them.  Did not fit the budget and I will circle back in a a few years .

It took me a while, but I learned this store manager is okay, and has picked some amazing barrels over the years. Thanks for the info on the Old Elk. I’ll look closer the next time I visit that store.

Biba! Joe

Today’s pickups.

I didn’t really want the weller, but it was priced right, and I heard from fish&bowl Joe that’s it’s just as good as pappy.  :D

E782E931-5B02-4C9F-9773-462ACBDABF5B.jpeg

• I like it 7

On 6/14/2020 at 8:54 PM, flahute said:

I'm one of those who has talked positively about Woodinville so I apologize if I steered you guys wrong. The ones I really like are the private selections at barrel proof. Because of those I haven't bought any of the standard product since the early ones which I did not like. For what it's worth, those work well in cocktails.

I had heard lots of positive feedback on it from multiple sources. It just has an overwhelming "corny" note that I can't get past.

8 minutes ago, BDanner said:

I had heard lots of positive feedback on it from multiple sources. It just has an overwhelming "corny" note that I can't get past.

Oh interesting! I've not gotten that in the past. Early versions of their whiskey had a wet cardboard note that I didn't like but it got resolved by switching barrel stave curing time and other changes in the process. I have not had the standard 90 proof in a while so I can't say for sure it's good. Their whiskey is close to 5 years old across the board so I could certainly some corniness being an issue. The barrel proof single barrels are actually tasted by the head distiller before going into the barrel program (they are small enough that he can actually do that) so those are clearly the best barrels so it's possible that lesser barrels go into the base offering.

5 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

3x15yrwfe.jpg

Ouch on the price! Not sure that I would have pulled the trigger at that price, but I’m sure the contents will be tasty! 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Oh interesting! I've not gotten that in the past. Early versions of their whiskey had a wet cardboard note that I didn't like but it got resolved by switching barrel stave curing time and other changes in the process. I have not had the standard 90 proof in a while so I can't say for sure it's good. Their whiskey is close to 5 years old across the board so I could certainly some corniness being an issue. The barrel proof single barrels are actually tasted by the head distiller before going into the barrel program (they are small enough that he can actually do that) so those are clearly the best barrels so it's possible that lesser barrels go into the base offering.

I know! it's weird as I've seen no other mention of it anywhere else, but I keep going back to it and it's just there. Maybe as small as they are, some variation can be expected even in their standard releases. Maybe they rushed some product out to meet demand when they got purchased and gained a wider distribution. I do admire their work and dedication to the craft. I definitely will give them another shot, especially if I ever see a cask strength or special release.

In the aftermath of the ET announcement I picked up 2x ET BiB. One for me and another for a friend who hasn't had it yet,  I figured I better get it while I still can.

34 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

In the aftermath of the ET announcement I picked up 2x ET BiB. One for me and another for a friend who hasn't had it yet,  I figured I better get it while I still can.

LOL... I grabbed another 3 today... 3 Liters for $70OTD is a good buy even if I it may seem like a panic buy... I really do like this as a daily drinker

Edited by jnewberg

4 minutes ago, jnewberg said:

LOL... I grabbed another 3 today... 3 Liters for $70OTD is a good buy even if I it may seem like a panic buy... I really do like this as a daily drinker

Good one!! Another affordable quality daily biting the dust, if that isn't cause for a panic buy what is?  There were 5 on the local shelf here, I took 2 left 3. I certainly have attained zen but it was tough not to grab at least another. The only thing that did it was my optimism that the oceans of aging distillate will result in an even wider range of well aged bourbons and ryes than we have today and with the volumes they are putting away the days of delicious affordable daily pours may be returning in a big way a few years down the road. The immediate issue is that I really like that ET profile just as it is so, I may yet grab just 1 more LOL!!

First GTS purchase for me, courtesy ABC Vault $119.99 + tax.  

(2018 release - 124.9 proof)

GTS 2018.JPG

• I like it 13

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

40 minutes ago, jnewberg said:

30 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Good one!! Another affordable quality daily biting the dust, if that isn't cause for a panic buy what is?  There were 5 on the local shelf here, I took 2 left 3. I certainly have attained zen but it was tough not to grab at least another. The only thing that did it was my optimism that the oceans of aging distillate will result in an even wider range of well aged bourbons and ryes than we have today and with the volumes they are putting away the days of delicious affordable daily pours may be returning in a big way a few years down the road. The immediate issue is that I really like that ET profile just as it is so, I may yet grab just 1 more LOL!!

I firmly believe ET will be in good hands with Saz/BT. I sent a congratulatory email to Mark Brown and others at BT yesterday. He thanked me. I didn’t try to glean any more info from him at this time because I’m pretty sure they’re still extremely busy at BT. They’re reopening July 1st. With regards to previous expansion(s) and changes over the last year or so, I think the Covid-19 pandemic threw the proverbial monkey wrench into the works. (Ditto almost everyone and everything.) Amongst other things, a 35,000 sq ft remodel/expansion of their visitor center was in the works. I’m gonna make a semi-educated guess here and say that plans probably had to be changed midstream in order to accommodate new guidelines and procedures. So, let’s not panic and jump off the cliff just yet. :huh:  “Know what I mean Vern?” 

Biba! Joe

Here’s a link to the recent virtual tour at BT. It’s not the best quality, and I hope  it still works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cqg7c7zcgjp0xw/BT_FOTTVirtualTour.mp4?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cqg7c7zcgjp0xw/BT_FOTTVirtualTour.mp4?dl=0

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I firmly believe ET will be in good hands with Saz/BT. I sent a congratulatory email to Mark Brown and others at BT yesterday. He thanked me. I didn’t try to glean any more info from him at this time because I’m pretty sure they’re still extremely busy at BT. They’re reopening July 1st. With regards to previous expansion(s) and changes over the last year or so, I think the Covid-19 pandemic threw the proverbial monkey wrench into the works. (Ditto almost everyone and everything.) Amongst other things, a 35,000 sq ft remodel/expansion of their visitor center was in the works. I’m gonna make a semi-educated guess here and say that plans probably had to be changed midstream in order to accommodate new guidelines and procedures. So, let’s not panic and jump off the cliff just yet. :huh:  “Know what I mean Vern?” 

Biba! Joe

Here’s a link to the recent virtual tour at BT. It’s not the best quality, and I hope  it still works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cqg7c7zcgjp0xw/BT_FOTTVirtualTour.mp4?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cqg7c7zcgjp0xw/BT_FOTTVirtualTour.mp4?dl=0

Nice to hear but in our area, West MI, I would imagine BT products will be flooded to the Eastside of state as it always has been.

4 minutes ago, jnewberg said:

Nice to hear but in our area, West MI, I would imagine BT products will be flooded to the Eastside of state as it always has been.

I know similar things have happened in Wisconsin. A few store owners/managers I‘ve talked with are not too pleased with the three tier system. More specifically, shenanigans by distributors. I also know of some minor problems in my own area. Sad, but I’ve grown used to it. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.