What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

38 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Stopped at Total Wine today and picked up two more bottles of JB Distiller's cut for $18 ea. before it's gone for good.  Also picked up one bottle each of 9yr age stated Knob Creek (first time I've seen it and am going to do a SBS with the old 9yr and the NAS version) and KC Cask Strength Rye barreled in 2010 (first time I've seen that one also). 

That's funny, I stopped at Total Wine and grabbed a Distiller's Cut today too.  I've already started the weekend with a pour of EWSiB but I may have to crack open the JBDC.  I passed on KC with the 9-year age statement at Sam's recently for $25.  Kinda second guessing myself now.

I'm a really big fan of the KC Cask Strength Rye and have bunkered the 2009 barreled version heavily. I also have the 2010 barreling and was attracted to it because of the increased proof (127 versus the 2009's 119.6). A certain Mr. Murray liked the 2009 more than the 2010. I'm not sure where I stand on this, but I am working very hard, night after night, to arrive at a conclusion. Drinking Bourbons and Ryes is hard work!!

• I like it 3

Once again it was stock up time at Sam's Club. Of course I looked at bourbon. Liters of BT were back in stock and I almost bought one. I opted instead for MM46 on sale for $25.18. I haven't had one in a while, and the price was great. Besides, it's a wheater.  ?  Cheers Kepler! ?

Also, and FWIW, I kinda had to buy this bottle of MM46 because of a sign from the Bourbon Gods. I've had numerous bottles of different MM products over the years that were dipped by the same lady on the MM bottling line that dipped this MM46. They say each persons bottle dip is like a fingerprint. This one is easy to pick out. More often than not, her bottles have an extra long drip of wax down the back of the bottle. Once in a while, the long drip is down the side of a bottle. Cool huh? Pics below.

Biba! Joe

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0006.jpeg

DSC_0010.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

DSC_0001 3.jpeg

• I like it 3

Bought a evan williams black label. Overpaid at about 16-17 dollars. This one is hitting the spot with a lot of brown sugar and cherry, first time having the black label in about 2 years since i transitioned to the bib.

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Also, and FWIW, I kinda had to buy this bottle of MM46 because of a sign from the Bourbon Gods. I've had numerous bottles of different MM products over the years that were dipped by the same lady on the MM bottling line that dipped this MM46. They say each persons bottle dip is like a fingerprint. This one is easy to pick out. More often than not, her bottles have an extra long drip of wax down the back of the bottle. Once in a while, the long drip is down the side of a bottle. Cool huh? Pics below.

Biba! Joe

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0006.jpeg

DSC_0010.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

DSC_0001 3.jpeg

Is her name Sarah?

?

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Once again it was stock up time at Sam's Club. Of course I looked at bourbon. Liters of BT were back in stock and I almost bought one. I opted instead for MM46 on sale for $25.18. I haven't had one in a while, and the price was great. Besides, it's a wheater.  ?  Cheers Kepler! ?

Biba! Joe

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0006.jpeg

DSC_0010.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

DSC_0001 3.jpeg

Hey Joe, I once got a bottle of MM that had a regular label, but black on top of yellow wax.  After I got home, I realized it was left over from March Madness, when they do school colors (in this case Purdue).  ? I had to use my paring knife to scrape all the wax off, then it was OK to drink. ?

• I like it 1

image.thumb.jpeg.f6f20e1d13d066e1690be0bb38c48a81.jpeg

Not everyday you come across a RHF. $99. Hope this is a sign of a good Fall. The FR was a bonus (different store). 

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Another reason while you will always be the designated King of the Wheater Whorde ?

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0006.jpeg

DSC_0010.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

DSC_0001 3.jpeg

I have had one of those bottles. 

I think maybe my first MMCS. I think I still have the empty. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

Hey Joe, I once got a bottle of MM that had a regular label, but black on top of yellow wax.  After I got home, I realized it was left over from March Madness, when they do school colors (in this case Purdue).  ? I had to use my paring knife to scrape all the wax off, then it was OK to drink. ?

Sounds like a classy bottle to add to your stash!

I picked up a recent old favorite,  Old Forester Statesman.     This is likely my fifth bottle of this movie tie-in that strangely remains available in discerning liquor stores, at least at the Jersey shore.   

It is just sooooo  good, and this bottle is,  I think, the best one  Ive had yet.   Old Forester has never been shown to better affect;  the perfect age and proof,  batched to show off the sweet side of this classic mashbill.    I cannot recommend this highly enough to an OF or WT fan.   

• I like it 3

Was at TW on Friday while my car was being worked on.  Really just stopped by to get a replacement for my RR SiB and there just happened to be some of the new OF SIB there.  OF has been hitting some home runs recently so I grabbed one of those too.  K-train has really stepped up the photography of the bottles so I had to try to make mine look a bit more presentable.

OFBS RR.jpg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, IamMatt said:

My recent purchase of MM Cask Strength has 2 long legs on the back.  I'm so confused!

MMCS.gif

just cut one of those off...

On 8/23/2020 at 9:56 PM, FasterHorses said:

Do these have any age on them? I asked one store and he told me 15 years but I was like.. nahh cant be. 

Mine is non-age stated.  Can't imagine it's anywhere close to 15 years old.  I've heard somewhere between 6 and 9.

10 hours ago, IamMatt said:

My recent purchase of MM Cask Strength has 2 long legs on the back.  I'm so confused!

MMCS.gif

Just leave them, unless you have OCD, then trim to equal lengths and measure to make sure they are uniform.

I actually used to think I was mildly OCD til I did some research and found out I'm really just AR.  I'm a bit obsessive, but I don't have compulsions.  Let's call it "orderly."

In my bartending days, I would come in for the night shift and immediately put all the garnish trays in a specific order--lime wedges first because they were the most used, etc.  Didn't much matter during the day but we were hella busy at night and I was fast and efficient.  One time the day bartender teased me about it and I said, "If every time Itzhakh Perlman picked up his violin the notes were in a different place, could he play like a master?"

I'll leave the drips alone, though.

11 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

I actually used to think I was mildly OCD til I did some research and found out I'm really just AR.  I'm a bit obsessive, but I don't have compulsions.  Let's call it "orderly."

In my bartending days, I would come in for the night shift and immediately put all the garnish trays in a specific order--lime wedges first because they were the most used, etc.  Didn't much matter during the day but we were hella busy at night and I was fast and efficient.  One time the day bartender teased me about it and I said, "If every time Itzhakh Perlman picked up his violin the notes were in a different place, could he play like a master?"

I'll leave the drips alone, though.

I have some of those exact same tendencies.

I work in a sterile operating room environment, and many of the doctors often playfully tease me about my sterile draping and organization of the instruments & equipment.

Guess who they always request to work with though...?

I stopped by a local liquor store on the way home from an appointment today.  They had an Elijah Craig SB display priced at $23.99.  Hidden among the bottles was one dusty bottle with the 12-year age statement on the back.  I needed another bottle of ECSB anyway, right?

EC-Back-Label-1-1-407x590.jpeg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, IamMatt said:

I stopped by a local liquor store on the way home from an appointment today.  They had an Elijah Craig SB display priced at $23.99.  Hidden among the bottles was one dusty bottle with the 12-year age statement on the back.  I needed another bottle of ECSB anyway, right?

Absolutely. It would be #1 daily drinker if it were still available. 

Maybe I'll go back and see if they have any more "in the back."  The display also had a sort of gift set with a bottle of ECSB, a large EC tumbler, and a large ice ball mold or the same $24 price.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Great find!  When I first started in bourbon late '16 early '17 I found these pretty regularly on the shelf.  Typically in the same manner you did with 1-2 behind a fresh row of the old bottle with no 12 on back.  Gifted a few, drank several, and then had the good sense to stash several.  I only ever found the big red 12 one time, but it was on three 1.75L at $60!   A friend took one and the other two happily rode home with me!

• I like it 1

On 9/5/2020 at 9:30 PM, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f6f20e1d13d066e1690be0bb38c48a81.jpeg

Not everyday you come across a RHF. $99. Hope this is a sign of a good Fall. The FR was a bonus (different store). 

Look like some awesome additions, congrats!

Is anyone else seeing RHF on shelves anywhere (at any price)?  If it is currently making it through the distribution network,  I may have to expand my hunting area for awhile until I find one. 

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Look like some awesome additions, congrats!

Is anyone else seeing RHF on shelves anywhere (at any price)?  If it is currently making it through the distribution network,  I may have to expand my hunting area for awhile until I find one. 

It was around here last week at msrp or slightly over.  This week is a few left at 4-5x msrp.  I’m glad I saw it last week.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.