What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was able to grab a Stagg Jr. batch 14, JD Eric Church special release, and a Weller Single Barrel.  The first two are gifts for family members, and the third one is for me.

• I like it 3

Picked up six Old Tubs at my local Costco for $15.99 each.  They are going fast. An older gentleman In front of me was buying a case for his hunting shack  I asked if I could join his hunting group. ?

• I like it 3

On my most recent trip to the ABC store I was looking for a $30 or under everyday sipper. I was thinking really hard about grabbing a bottle of OGD114, because it’s been ages since I last had it... but I kinda wanted to try something I’ve never had before. So I ended up with this:

57BEF4D6-5CBA-464A-854A-64CA47DCE197.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Grain Belt said:

Picked up six Old Tubs at my local Costco for $15.99 each.  They are going fast. An older gentleman In front of me was buying a case for his hunting shack  I asked if I could join his hunting group. ?

That’s a fantastic price. I thought it was pretty solid , a bit too much Beam peanut, but not overpowering. Will make my rotation at $22.

On 8/20/2020 at 11:14 AM, BigSkyDrams said:

Just a brief update on this: my gracious host was initially skeptical when he saw what I'd brought for my choice of bourbon for the week.  He's a scotch guy primarily, but when he visits me I always pour him a few drinks of whatever good bourbon I have open at the moment; nevertheless, he was under the misguided impressions that WT101 was swill tailored to those who want to get good and drunk rather than enjoying a quality spirit.  After sharing a few pours with him over the week, that impression was quickly debunked, and he was positively thrilled when I left him the remaining ~40% of the bottle after I departed.  

Had a very similar experience as well where my buddy who probably hasn't had any WT products in the last 5+ years assumed that WT101 was a straight tire fire. Had to convince him otherwise! Wonder where the bad rep came from or if the quality has jumped tremendously over the last few years.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, shuttlenote said:

Had a very similar experience as well where my buddy who probably hasn't had any WT products in the last 5+ years assumed that WT101 was a straight tire fire. Had to convince him otherwise! Wonder where the bad rep came from or if the quality has jumped tremendously over the last few years.

I'm no whiskey historian but I figure the rough 'n tough image of Wild Tukey probably developed during the "light whiskey" era when most every bourbon went lighter and lower proof, whilst Turkey (under the wise direction of Jimmy Russell) held the line with the boldest, most robust flavored straight bourbon around.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, shuttlenote said:

My thought is similar to @Kepler. When my friend first saw it he actually said, “Wild Turkey, isn’t that 151?” So that’s apparently a perception of it among the general population. 

On 8/16/2020 at 12:07 AM, Clay34 said:

I was also accused of being a flipper yesterday.  I had to tell them that was frowned upon by the great forum Straight Bourbon and I plan on drinking every single drop of everything that I buy.  Maybe not all on the same night, but the reason to buy it is to drink it.  Made them smile. 

Next time someone accuses you of flipping, say nothing, and pop the top right in front of them.

• I like it 1

Not today but this week, picked up this pair. I enjoy OF Signature once in a while and when I saw the old label on the shelf I had to grab a couple. But my memory fails me as to roughly when this label was used. I think it was two labels ago? Maybe someone here can refresh my memory as to the years? I'll crack one open tonight.

Has anyone found a notable (and positive difference) between this and the current bottling? I'm tempted to get another (and they also had the old diamond label 86 proof).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf8.jpg.e7afbc8510975777842da56735c62b6a.jpg

• I like it 5

Picked these up today. 

I rarely pass up the WT101 rye, when I see it around here, (Baltimore metro area).  It's solid and the price point,($35.00 for a liter), isn't obnoxious.

20200822_171509.jpg

• I like it 4

46 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Picked these up today. 

I rarely pass up the WT101 rye, when I see it around here, (Baltimore metro area).  It's solid and the price point,($35.00 for a liter), isn't obnoxious.

20200822_171509.jpg

This pic should be titled “best night ever”

Two great bottles!

• I like it 1

Surprised to see these two old label OF Sig bottles in the store. Actually had dust on the shoulders. 

95A4F64B-75DA-48D0-A87B-A32C6117E8A4.jpeg

• I like it 5

Discovered a local liquor store with a decent selection or hard-to-find bottles.  Michter's was $35 @ if you bought 2 so...

Enjoying the 1792 now.

1792.gif

6 hours ago, fanostra said:

Not today but this week, picked up this pair. I enjoy OF Signature once in a while and when I saw the old label on the shelf I had to grab a couple. But my memory fails me as to roughly when this label was used. I think it was two labels ago? Maybe someone here can refresh my memory as to the years? I'll crack one open tonight.

Has anyone found a notable (and positive difference) between this and the current bottling? I'm tempted to get another (and they also had the old diamond label 86 proof).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf8.jpg.e7afbc8510975777842da56735c62b6a.jpg

I'll try and help with the years.  This is approximate.  I believe OF Sig replaced OF B.I.B. around the year 2000 or a little earlier.  The first six years or so it had a diamond label with gold cursive writing on the sides.  They changed to what you have (around 2006?).  They made these for around six years, then changed to those that Steve found.  It changed again a couple years ago to the current white paper label "100 proof".

Personally, I think what you found, and the older diamond label OF Sig are a very fine pour indeed.  They taste like there is much older whiskey in the batch to me.  I once drove an hour each way into Indy's ghetto to pick up several, after a fellow SB member alerted me. 

• I like it 3

26 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I'll try and help with the years.  This is approximate.  I believe OF Sig replaced OF B.I.B. around the year 2000 or a little earlier.  The first six years or so it had a diamond label with gold cursive writing on the sides.  They changed to what you have (around 2006?).  They made these for around six years, then changed to those that Steve found.  It changed again a couple years ago to the current white paper label "100 proof".

Personally, I think what you found, and the older diamond label OF Sig are a very fine pour indeed.  They taste like there is much older whiskey in the batch to me.  I once drove an hour each way into Indy's ghetto to pick up several, after a fellow SB member alerted me. 

Thanks much - very insightful. Just cracked it open and really digging it - glad I picked them up!

• I like it 1

On 8/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, k-train said:

On my most recent trip to the ABC store I was looking for a $30 or under everyday sipper. I was thinking really hard about grabbing a bottle of OGD114, because it’s been ages since I last had it... but I kinda wanted to try something I’ve never had before. So I ended up with this:

57BEF4D6-5CBA-464A-854A-64CA47DCE197.jpeg

Nicely photographed.

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Did you go out of state?

I did. My in-laws had the kid today, so my wife and I each took a day for ourselves. My day involved a trip to Cleveland, specifically the west 'burbs. I went prepared and had a good idea of what I wanted. But I did stumble into a few bottles I wasn't looking for and was happy to find. 

Plus I stopped at Culver's for a butter burger, which was icing on the cake.

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Not near the haul of the previous post, but it was an expensive weekend.

20200822_195025.jpg

I had that marvelroast beer. I enjoyed trying it for a nice change. I think it was more like a bourbon cream than a beer if i remember correctly. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.