What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I like the 8 year RR old waxtop bottle.  I haven't ever tried the 7 year.

What's the debate about on the '19 LE?  Can only be price right?  I haven't yet opened my 19 yet so I'm no help on that.  But it gets raves all around...

19 LE is $219. Just bought 3 RedSpot Irish Whiskeys so the $219 is a little harder than normal. I had plans to buy two of the 19 LE’s but my plan has fallen apart

16 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

19 LE is $219. Just bought 3 RedSpot Irish Whiskeys so the $219 is a little harder than normal. I had plans to buy two of the 19 LE’s but my plan has fallen apart

Yeah, $219 is right there in that gray area between Buy Now and Pass.  I have to admit, I'd probably pull the trigger at $219 though....

• I like it 2

42 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I'll be no help whatsoever.

It's really damn good.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I tried blowing up the photo but couldn't get it  large enough to read the ECBP batch number.

It's got the (slightly) redesigned label so it could only be B520. 

The 750ml version of Old Tub has hit Virginia ABC this week, surprisingly quickly for a control state, and surprisingly cheap at $19.99.  I grabbed a couple to add to the bunker.

IMG_9011.JPG

• I like it 1

It was a "good for the soul" day in that I purchased some staples. Family size WT101 - check. OGDBIB - I see you @Harry in WashDC , OF100 - oh yes, this has become one of my favorites.

Also snagged a KC12yr. Was resisting but curiosity got the best of me.

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

It was a "good for the soul" day in that I purchased some staples. Family size WT101 - check. OGDBIB - I see you @Harry in WashDC , OF100 - oh yes, this has become one of my favorites.

Also snagged a KC12yr. Was resisting was curiosity got the best of me.

There is a reason all of these are "staples."  All three seem stellar recently.  Maybe a little older barrels going into the mix?  I am really enjoying the OF profile right now as well.

Edited by mbroo5880i

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

There is a reason all of these are "staples."  All three seem stellar recently.  Maybe a little older barrels going into the mix?  I am really enjoying the OF profile right now as well.

The OF100 has really been punching above its weight for a while now. It really, really hits all the right buttons for me.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

The OF100 has really been punching above its weight for a while now. It really, really hits all the right buttons for me.

I am a fan.  I bought my first bottle in a while.  This used to be Signature, right?   The value is comparable to WT101 and OGDBIB.  I can get all three for around $22.99.  Sometimes its the simple things in life.

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am a fan.  I bought my first bottle in a while.  This used to be Signature, right?   The value is comparable to WT101 and OGDBIB.  I can get all three for around $22.99.  Sometimes its the simple things in life.

Correct - used to be Signature. I was a fan of it many years ago. Then in a very strange twist, for some unknown reason, the distributor in Washington State marked up the price on it to almost $40 so I stopped buying it. Last year they brought it back to what it should be so I bought one and realized how much I had missed it. 

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, flahute said:

Also snagged a KC12yr. Was resisting but curiosity got the best of me.

Getting ready to go see local fireworks but could NOT resist checking SB one more time today - The KC 12Yr, as I've posted elsewhere on SB, is surprisingly drinkable even though it is TWELVE!!  And, you are right about the OF 100 - I swear it is NOT repackaged Signature.  I had trouble with Sig in spite of trying it at least once a year, but the recent OF100s are just fine for me.  We are in central Virginia this week.  I sure hope our Wegmans shopping on WED takes a long time as the VA ABC stores don't open until Noon.:ph34r:

• I like it 3

Just now, Harry in WashDC said:

Getting ready to go see local fireworks but could NOT resist checking SB one more time today - The KC 12Yr, as I've posted elsewhere on SB, is surprisingly drinkable even though it is TWELVE!!  And, you are right about the OF 100 - I swear it is NOT repackaged Signature.  I had trouble with Sig in spite of trying it at least once a year, but the recent OF100s are just fine for me.  We are in central Virginia this week.  I sure hope our Wegmans shopping on WED takes a long time as the VA ABC stores don't open until Noon.:ph34r:

You have fireworks! So jealous. Drinking the KC12 right now and agree - it's pretty darn good.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

You have fireworks! So jealous. Drinking the KC12 right now and agree - it's pretty darn good.

Yeah, we have them.  Lake Anna (Virginia) Civic Association fires them off on whichever Saturday is closest to 4 July  or ON the 4th like tonight.  Because they fire them off from a dike on the lake, virtually all viewers are in boats.  We are lucky.  Our boat dock is in a straight line, albeit 3/4 of a mile, from the firing dike so we don't have to do anything but get in my 25 year old golf cart and trundle down to the dock with beverages and bug spray.  No docking a pontoon boat in the dark when half-lit; just saying.

On thread - Didn't buy doo doo today, but I do have a VA ABC list for Wednesday next when we are scheduled to go grocery shopping.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I enjoy the Early Times BIB, does anybody know if it's the same? Sorry no worries, I should just use the search function, and I will. 

The only OF100 I've tried are older expressions. Maybe I need to give it another chance with the new batches.

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I will have no qualms with $60 12 year KC. Once I drink down a few of these single barrels that is! Curiosity might even get the best of me first too, Lol ?

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:04 AM, FasterHorses said:

Came across Boone County 12 year in a hole in the wall. Bought that without thinking twice. Still debating on the Redemption Rye 7 year waxtop

and ‘19 FR LE.

The Boone County 12 year was great!   by the time I realized, they disappeared from the shelves around here.   Cheers to you!

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

I enjoy the Early Times BIB, does anybody know if it's the same? Sorry no worries, I should just use the search function, and I will. 

The only OF100 I've tried are older expressions. Maybe I need to give it another chance with the new batches.

Interesting question, I don't recall it ever being raised but I did not try searching it. I will say I liked OF sig or whatever it may have been called at the time several years ago, I then bought one maybe 4 yrs back and found an off note I couldn’t get along with, I have not revisited since.  I don’t find anything off about ETBIB and there was no need to explore fast missteps as my BF fix was satisfied quite nicely between ET and JDSBBS.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

28 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Interesting question, I don't recall it ever being raised but I did not try searching it.

They are actually different mash bills.  I like them both, but for whatever reason, enjoy the ET mash bill a bit more.

The Early Times is higher corn %:  79 corn / 11 rye / 10 barley.

The Old Forester mash bill is 72 corn / 18 rye / 10 barley.

Interestingly enough, the recent releases of B-F King of Kentucky supposedly use the higher corn ET mash bill, thus they definitely have some older, really good barrels of it.  Probably why I enjoy King of KY so much.

https://www.earlytimesbottledinbond.com/bourbon/

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 3

Finished off an Old Fitz 15 for my birthday.   One of my favorite all time bottles.  

• I like it 4

On 7/4/2020 at 8:32 PM, flahute said:

It was a "good for the soul" day in that I purchased some staples. Family size WT101 - ....

I picked up 5 of these jugs yesterday.  Don't judge me, it was on super sale.  Lucille Ball would be proud.

• I like it 4

31 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

I picked up 5 of these jugs yesterday.  Don't judge me, it was on super sale.  Lucille Ball would be proud.

No judgement here. In fact, I salute you.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:08 AM, FasterHorses said:

Obviously a few others have commented on the 19 LE already, but I’ll just add that it was clearly my favorite bottle of 2019. I was trading away BTAC bottles so I could bunker a few. I’d buy as many as I could find at $219. But, that’s just me. Many people don’t pay anything over MSRP and I get that stance as well. But I like what I like, and life is short. 

• I like it 3

Run to the local family grocery. I was suppressed by the Eagle. I didn't much care for it. Just kind of flat for me. The Belle Meade is fantastic, though. 

IMG_7515.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Tulse said:

Run to the local family grocery. I was suppressed by the Eagle. I didn't much care for it. Just kind of flat for me. The Belle Meade is fantastic, though. 

That's pretty much my experience with ER?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.