What bourbon did you purchase today (Summer 2021)

MTNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today, I ordered online from K&L two bottles of MM101.  I had had one bottle previously but, at $37, didn't feel it warranted another purchase when MMCS is $40.  But it went on sale for $27 which, for that price, it's a solid bargain. 

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

This week's pickups. Not a fan of Dickel but many friends that are.

20210723_083715.jpg

Me likee Bowman Bros. You're a Prince among folks to think of your fellow bourbonites, too (did I use all the "proper" pronouns?).  😂

14 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Me likee Bowman Bros. You're a Prince among folks to think of your fellow bourbonites, too (did I use all the "proper" pronouns?).  😂

Don't canonize me jusr yet. Maybe my friends have something that I'm a fan of, too. 😉

Here are today's acquisitions. And before you ask...yes I still have the Dickel. 😂

20210724_154727.jpg

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, fosmith said:

Today, I ordered online from K&L two bottles of MM101.  I had had one bottle previously but, at $37, didn't feel it warranted another purchase when MMCS is $40.  But it went on sale for $27 which, for that price, it's a solid bargain. 

I can generally find it around $30 on sale or $34 regular price.  $27 is a great price!

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

This week's pickups. Not a fan of Dickel but many friends that are.

20210723_083715.jpg

Yeah, I am not much of a Dickel fan either.  I have been seeing a lot of Dickel BIB in my area.  It is a pass for me.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Don't canonize me jusr yet. Maybe my friends have something that I'm a fan of, too. 😉

Here are today's acquisitions. And before you ask...yes I still have the Dickel. 😂

20210724_154727.jpg

I like Bowman's too.  Although I have only had the Small Batch and Single Barrel.  However, these two are more in my wheelhouse.

Picked this up at K&L today with my son.  Couldn’t wait to get home to try it.  Explosive on the palate….in a good way.  Nose shows baked cookie, cinnamon, brown sugar.  Very nice.  Nose was good. Palate is great.  Mouth coating.  So well balanced.   Hardly shows heat of 117.   Front palate is nice but mild, back palate a huge rush of molasses, red licorice.  Long, sweet finish with more red licorice and cinnamon and some nuttiness.  Hell of a bottle. Deserves its good rating. Nothing too complex but an absolute pleasure to drink.  Very happy with K&Ls pick.  I think this bottle tastes better than the Tennessee store pick I tried.  But I loved that too at the time and it was in a tiny plastic cup so it’s hard to say.

I made sure I got my second order in before posting this!  

66EA1039-D9F8-42EC-8CA3-34509B789D40.jpeg

DD3BB2C7-A1EB-4A27-869A-02ED616A2363.jpeg

• I like it 1

Got lucky dealing with the mess that is “Whiskey Wednesday” here in Pennsylvania last week. 

7A6B3A95-5C1A-49A4-9C5D-9070C989C0DA.jpeg

• I like it 8

I ordered a bottle of New Riff BiB rye this morning from K&L.  It's on sale for  $29 marked down from $45.  I had the SiB rye and liked it and, since I've heard good things about the BiB, how could I not give it a go at that price? 

• I like it 2

21 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I ordered a bottle of New Riff BiB rye this morning from K&L.  It's on sale for  $29 marked down from $45.  I had the SiB rye and liked it and, since I've heard good things about the BiB, how could I not give it a go at that price? 

Very much looking forward to quaffing NR’s new six year malted rye release. Word is it’ll see a nationwide release in Sept. I’ve heard it’s outstanding.

3 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

Very much looking forward to quaffing NR’s new six year malted rye release. Word is it’ll see a nationwide release in Sept. I’ve heard it’s outstanding.

I think it's amazing - their best effort to date!   I hope it turns into a national release!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

I like their BiB rye. I'd be a huge fan of it for that price. 

6 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

W107

Wsr

Congrats on your recent Weller purchases. 👍 From one Weller whore to another, good job! 😁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

52 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Congrats on your recent Weller purchases. 👍 From one Weller whore to another, good job! 😁

Biba! Joe

so on a hunch, I went to another grocery store (same chain as my earlier purchases) and lucked out on another W107/Wsr “Columbus combo” (seems to be my go to for a couple weeks now) with a side of (see pic). This is gotta bring me up in the whoreness of the Weller??? Please master, show  this grasshoppah the Weller ways…..😂🤣😂 

still no w12 😐 and I forgot to grab a bottle from the bunker over the weekend while I “visited” my wife/house for Blend. Maybe next week….

24EFC303-4478-4CB1-B1C5-21403D6EB03D.jpeg

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

so on a hunch, I went to another grocery store (same chain as my earlier purchases) and lucked out on another W107/Wsr “Columbus combo” (seems to be my go to for a couple weeks now) with a side of (see pic). This is gotta bring me up in the whoreness of the Weller??? Please master, show  this grasshoppah the Weller ways…..😂🤣😂 

still no w12 😐 and I forgot to grab a bottle from the bunker over the weekend while I “visited” my wife/house for Blend. Maybe next week….

You are officially welcomed into the realm of Weller Whoredom. The few but mighty. 🥳

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You are officially welcomed into the realm of Weller Whoredom. The few but mighty. 🥳

Biba! Joe

I guess I missed the recipe.  I have always blended W12 and OWA 50:50 but it appears you also blend in WSR?  It has been a while since I blended the two or three.  I have a couple of bottles of W12 and one bottle of OWA.  The rest are long gone and replacements harder to find than a snowman in a snow storm.   The bottles I have are available to open but I have saved them for guests to enjoy with me.

9 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I guess I missed the recipe.  I have always blended W12 and OWA 50:50 but it appears you also blend in WSR?  It has been a while since I blended the two or three.  I have a couple of bottles of W12 and one bottle of OWA.  The rest are long gone and replacements harder to find than a snowman in a snow storm.   The bottles I have are available to open but I have saved them for guests to enjoy with me.

blend.jpeg

Okay folks, get out your pen and paper. 

IIRC, the original SB Weller Blend was 2 parts Weller 107 and 1 part Weller 12. This was the original blend from a member here (not me) that was basically meant to replicate Weller Centennial. It was ≈ 101.33 proof. Other sites have called this “Poor Mans Pappy”, with no mention of it originating here on Straightbourbon. From what I’ve read/heard, some of these sites may have claimed it as originating with them. Here, hold this for me.🖕🏼(Cough Cough)  Weller Whore that I am, and as much as I’d like to take credit for it, I can’t. 

My 2018 Blend was 3 parts Weller 107, 1 part Weller 12 and 1 part Weller SR. It was ≈ 100.2 proof. I used Weller SR to partially offset the woody/sootiness that could sometimes be present in older bottles of Weller 12.

My 2021 Weller Blend is equal parts Weller 107, Weller 12 and Weller SR. It is ≈ 95.67 proof. To be honest, I came up with this blend partially because I was going through a lot of Weller 107 in my 2018 blend. I also got a bit lazy and didn’t want the hassle of using a measuring cup and a shot glass. 🤔

image.jpeg.a9acf8bd339430d18f5484c659cfef49.jpeg 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, fosmith said:

12 hours ago, Rhettro said:

5 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I like their BiB rye. I'd be a huge fan of it for that price. 

I’m a buyer on these New Riffs, particularly that malted rye.  They‘ve shown me that they make good whiskey.  👍🏻

• I like it 1

I went grocery shopping and happened upon some sales.  I picked up Mellow Corn B.I.B. $13, and a new one to me Mercantile Bourbon $17.  The Mercantile was interesting because: distilled in IN, 4 year age statement, 91 proof.  It's bottled by Universal Brands Princeton, MN.

I'm assuming it's made by MGP.  I quick search didn't reveal many details.  The thing about buying MGP Bourbon bottled by someone else, you don't know which of about ten recipes it is, or a combination, or warehouse situation.  The label on this says "small batch".

Tasting notes - not bad, probably worth what I paid, nose is delicate, sweet cereal, good mouth feel, thick, more sweetness, almost no burn for 91 proof.  I suppose it reminds me more of standard MM than anything else.  For the non sale price of twenty odd dollars it would be an easy pass.

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m a buyer on these New Riffs, particularly that malted rye.  They‘ve shown me that they make good whiskey.  👍🏻

Same here.  One of the few exceptions to my avoidance of newer distilleries.  If I can find this in Atlanta, then I'm a buyer for sure. 

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Now if only they would make it appear in GA!! Otherwise I'll be stocking up on the way to KY next spring, I SHOULD be able to taste by then!!!!!🤬🤬🤬

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.