What bourbon did you purchase today (Summer 2021)

MTNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes, everyone at the store was pretty civil until they opened up the ER.   I think the manager messed up not being a little more insistent about being more civil.  I know him casually and am going to talk with him next time we meet.  I wonder if he has the authority to limit everyone in line to one and then go to the back of the line in case there are any left after everyone  gets their turn?  After all, it is his store.  Someone would probably complain to the LCB that they were entitled to three and didn't get them.  Seems more fair but I think that's something thats been out of style for a few years.

While in Michigan,  happy to find a few more Saffells.  Not sure about that Calumet 15... but I have walked past it enough it was time to try it... 

IMG_1670.JPG

• I like it 6

No wonder the store employees are so tired of us bourbon customers.

I can’t even imagine dealing with that every week.

• I like it 5

Yes, I wouldn't enjoy it either.  AFAIK, the Buffalo Trace orders/deliveries only occur once a month so it doesn't  occur too frequently.  Still, I think they could just hand out numbers and tell the hunters to wait outside until everything is ready, then serve in order.  No reason for it to be free for all.   I used to see the same behavior at estate sales.  Pushy people looking for the next item to sell on Ebay. 

Whaddayagonnado?

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, G L Tirebiter said:

On Thursday, I stopped at the FW&GS store and asked one of the workers if he knew if any allocated stuff was coming in on the truck Friday.  He said the Bufflalo Trace stuff was supposed to be there.  I said I'd probably miss it since I volunteer at the food bank until around 10 and the store opens at 9.  He told me the truck was scheduled for 1030 so Friday morning I hustled down after food bank arriving around 10:40.  There were already 10 people waiting in the store.  (This was my first experience with lines of guys (there was one female) chasing bourbon.)  I talked to the guy in front of me and he claimed that he was retired and doesn't drink but was there for the Blanton's.   He said he "gives it away" to his many doctors ("They love this stuff!").   I heard another guy (who grabbed 2 Eagle Rares along with the box) explain that he doesn't do this much since he has a one year old at home, but he had just come from another store nearby and grabbed two Blantons from the 9AM delivery truck.   At  about 11, one of the clerks came out with two boxes of Eagle Rare.  He set it one the bar and folks in line pounced, grabbing all the bottles from the  box before the manager put the other box behind the counter and they had to figure out what was what.   They said they were checking to see if there was a change on the three bottle limit.  About ten minutes later they came out of the store room with two boxes of Blantons,  and announced that they got 12 total bottles, bringing them straight behind the counter to avoid the scene they had with the Eagle Rare.  I asked and  had gotten one bottle of Eagle Rare from the clerk (there were 4 left behind the counter)  since, at that point, everyone else was waiting for the Blantons.  Knowing there were only 12 Blantosn, and  about 10 or 12 folks ahead of me in the line (which was pretty informal) I decided I might as well pay for the ER and beat the big checkout line when they passed out the Blantons.  Well, as luck would have it, they put the Blantons right behind my cashier.  So when she was ringing me up, I politely asked if I could also get a bottle of Blantons and she set one on the counter for me .  I suppose I could have asked for 3 but didn't.  Of course, the retired guy behind me at the cashier got 3 (for his "doctor friends") so I bet that most of the people didn't get even one.    It was an interesting experience to say the least.   Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Glad you got yours.  I wish that stores would just randomly put out stuff all through the week vs this to save from frenzy type behavior.  

• I like it 1

I believe , in PA at least, you can search for product by store and see the inventory (as of the close of business the previous day).   So people would probably be harassing the clerks to go to the back and bring it out. 

I expect at some point they will no longer tell you the night before what items they expect to come in the following delivery day like some stores do now.

Edited by G L Tirebiter

Just found another box on my porch from FWGS online drop.   Despite the requirement, no one here signed anything, just left it on the porch, just like last shipment.  Maybe our postal arrier knows we are over 21?

Anyway got a bottle of WT Kentucky Spirit SiB  (101 proof) and RRSiB (110 proof)

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

While in Michigan,  happy to find a few more Saffells.  Not sure about that Calumet 15... but I have walked past it enough it was time to try it... 

IMG_1670.JPG

Good luck with the Calumet 15. I have not opened my 15 yet but am most of the way through my bottle of the 14 year. Maybe I’ll open it and try them SBS soon. It was an early purchase for me, before I knew much about what I was doing, but I liked it just the same. In fact, I would put in my top few pours in my current rotation. 

My little bit of research, although someone here likely knows better, is that it is likely Barton juice. Anyone else know if that’s correct? I REALLY enjoy it and since I suck at acquiring allocated bourbons my chance of scoring Rock Hill or Elmer T Lee are seemingly slim. 

At any rate, I really enjoy it, so let us know what you think once you crack it. 

• I like it 1

We took a ride today just to get out of the house. Stopped at a couple of stores I haven’t been to in a while. Grabbed a BT at a decent price at one store. I paid more than I wanted to for the ER at another store, but it was the only one the shelf. Besides, the manager is retiring, and I’m venturing a guess that after he retires, prices are going to go up a little. The Weller SR I picked up last Saturday. I included it in the picture as a comparison with my open bottles in the background. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.dc1cb35972be83cf56b836191a20b271.jpeg

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, dwightschrute said:

Glad you got yours.  I wish that stores would just randomly put out stuff all through the week vs this to save from frenzy type behavior.  

They put them out at random in Ohio during the COVID lockdown to keep the crowds small, but are now back to "put them all out when you get them" not giving working stiffs any time to get allocated stuff.

• I like it 4

A new Costco opened not far from me on Thursday, so for the first time I went to the grand opening because I'd heard that they typically get some "special" bourbons. People were pretty excited to grab Booker's; I instead took a gamble on that Calumet Farm 14 and also snagged a bottle each of the Kirkland-Barton 1792 BiB and Single Barrel to round out my collection (I bought the Small Batch a month or so ago at my usual Costco location).

Berbinz.jpg

• I like it 5

I was out and about yesterday and noticed one of the local craft distillers,  Hidden Still from out Lebanon way,  has released a 4-year old version of their David E. Black Label bourbon,  so I thought I'd give it a try.    I've had the 2-year version before and it's actually pretty decent.    I give 'em credit for seeking to make a non-nonsense traditional bourbon;  I think the mashbill is 70% corn,  20% rye,  10% malted barley which is very similar to what FEW does.     They make for an interesing side by side,  with the David E,   aged 4 years in 53 gallon barrels,   tasting very much like a Kentucky product of similar age.   The FEW,  which is probably aged not more than 2 years, is, as far as I am aware, still blended from different sized barrels.  The FEW is expertly constucted for what it is,  with an oiler mouthfeel that I enjoy,  but the the youth of the FEW needs to be accepted as a component of the flavor profile they're going for.    

Edited by Jazzhead

8 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

I was out and about yesterday and noticed one of the local craft distillers,  Hidden Still from out Lebanon way,  has released a 4-year old version of their David E. Black Label bourbon,  so I thought I'd give it a try.    I've had the 2-year version before and it's actually pretty decent.    I give 'em credit for seeking to make a non-nonsense traditional bourbon;  I think the mashbill is 70% corn,  20% rye,  10% malted barley which is very similar to what FEW does.     They make for an interesing side by side,  with the David E,   aged 4 years in 53 gallon barrels,   tasting very much like a Kentucky product of similar age.   The FEW,  which is probably aged not more than 2 years, is, as far as I am aware, still blended from different sized barrels.  The FEW is expertly constucted for what it is,  with an oiler mouthfeel that I enjoy,  but the the youth of the FEW needs to be accepted as a component of the flavor profile they're going for.    

I’ve seen the David E around on local shelves and always passed it over. You think the four year - if it makes it to Pittsburgh - would be worth a shot?

57 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

I’ve seen the David E around on local shelves and always passed it over. You think the four year - if it makes it to Pittsburgh - would be worth a shot?

My attitude is that if a craft distillers sets the marker of traditional bourbon aged for at least 4 years in full-sized barrels,  then they've earned at least one bottle's worth of my business.   This is my third bottle of David E,  but my first at four years of age.

It doesn't blow me away,  but it is perfectly drinkable.   Think Heaven Hill at 4-5 years of age,  or Jim Beam White.   Some root beer and grassiness,  with some good balance and perhaps a bit maltier than those aforementioned mainstream stalwarts.

It tastes good while listening to Roland Kirk on a rainy afternoon.

20210822_143428.jpg

• I like it 2

Today, I stepped outside my box. While I always look for value, I don’t mind paying up for a quality bourbon provided it checks certain boxes. Besides value can encompass a wide range.  However, sometimes a bottle comes along that checks enough boxes to pique my curiosity.  Normally, I talk myself out of it but today I let my wife talk me into it.  I guess sometimes I need an accomplice. 

I purchased a bottle of Indiana Brown Water Enthusiasts Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey.  This is Batch #1.  It is a blend of MGP (21% rye) consisting of 6 barrels selected from 21 barrels that were sampled.  The age is 5 years and it is 105 proof. The price was $49.99. Nothing about this says “Good Value.” 

So, what attracted me? I guess I after reading a little bit about the company and those who selected the barrels I saw like-minded people.  I saw the “marketing” review.  I say marketing review because nothing else was available and you need to take those things with a grain of salt. “Oily mouthfeel, fruity notes similar to Four Roses, comparison to OF SiB, nice proof, and MGP.”  The age and price were the sticking point. What makes this MGP different than all the other NDP bottles of MGP?  One, they were very upfront on where it came from and the selection process. Two, they seem to be community-oriented. 

Enough of this crap.  What does it taste like?  It is actually very good. I do see the similarities with Four Roses and Old Forester. The nose is a little light with caramel and oak notes.  On entry there is a nice fruity, floral flavor followed by light oak and caramel on the palate.  It has a nice oily mouthfeel and the finish is quite long and spicy.  While younger, I would certainly place it on par with KC and OF100, both of which are favorites and both of which, I could have grabbed two bottles for the same price. It reminds me of Remus Repeal Reserve with a little less sweetness.  This makes sense given that it is MGP. It seems more complex than expected.  Maybe this is because it is a very small batch of blended barrels.

I will try another pour and, if my impressions are the same, I will probably grab another bottle. In this instance, it isn’t about value but uniqueness and enjoyability at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, right now, this brand is only available locally.

Resized_20210822_194645.jpeg

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, stevegoz said:

A new Costco opened not far from me on Thursday, so for the first time I went to the grand opening because I'd heard that they typically get some "special" bourbons. People were pretty excited to grab Booker's; I instead took a gamble on that Calumet Farm 14 and also snagged a bottle each of the Kirkland-Barton 1792 BiB and Single Barrel to round out my collection (I bought the Small Batch a month or so ago at my usual Costco location).

I just spotted and bought the Kirkland BIB at my local Costco today.  Neck pour was VERY similar to Old Barton 100 to my palate.  For laughs/comparison I also blended 1792 SB and 1792 Full proof down to 100 proof and it was also very similar, though a bit more flavorful and a bit less hot.  I would like to to the same 3 again blind in a few weeks once the Kirkland BIB has opened up.  Curious what other impressions are of the Kirkland offerings.  I have an unopened bottle of 1792 SiB so I will be ready for comparison with the Kirkland SiB when it hits my stores.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Today, I stepped outside my box. While I always look for value, I don’t mind paying up for a quality bourbon provided it checks certain boxes. Besides value can encompass a wide range.  However, sometimes a bottle comes along that checks enough boxes to pique my curiosity.  Normally, I talk myself out of it but today I let my wife talk me into it.  I guess sometimes I need an accomplice. 

I purchased a bottle of Indiana Brown Water Enthusiasts Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey.  This is Batch #1.  It is a blend of MGP (21% rye) consisting of 6 barrels selected from 21 barrels that were sampled.  The age is 5 years and it is 105 proof. The price was $49.99. Nothing about this says “Good Value.” 

So, what attracted me? I guess I after reading a little bit about the company and those who selected the barrels I saw like-minded people.  I saw the “marketing” review.  I say marketing review because nothing else was available and you need to take those things with a grain of salt. “Oily mouthfeel, fruity notes similar to Four Roses, comparison to OF SiB, nice proof, and MGP.”  The age and price were the sticking point. What makes this MGP different than all the other NDP bottles of MGP?  One, they were very upfront on where it came from and the selection process. Two, they seem to be community-oriented. 

Enough of this crap.  What does it taste like?  It is actually very good. I do see the similarities with Four Roses and Old Forester. The nose is a little light with caramel and oak notes.  On entry there is a nice fruity, floral flavor followed by light oak and caramel on the palate.  It has a nice oily mouthfeel and the finish is quite long and spicy.  While younger, I would certainly place it on par with KC and OF100, both of which are favorites and both of which, I could have grabbed two bottles for the same price. It reminds me of Remus Repeal Reserve with a little less sweetness.  This makes sense given that it is MGP. It seems more complex than expected.  Maybe this is because it is a very small batch of blended barrels.

I will try another pour and, if my impressions are the same, I will probably grab another bottle. In this instance, it isn’t about value but uniqueness and enjoyability at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, right now, this brand is only available locally.

Resized_20210822_194645.jpeg

There is a brand out of Bloomington - Krogman.  They have been doing single barrel, barrel proof selections of all the MGP recipes.  The labels are silly on purpose, influenced by comic book illustration.  I was gifted a bottle of their MGP Rye for Christmas.  I found it to be one of the best versions I've tried.  It seemed like this might be a way to try some of the other MGP stuff - barrel proof and all.  Price runs $50. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

OK, you took the chance & stepped out on that limb, so that makes you our resident expert on this particular one.  It seems the community & caring vibe was the deciding factor and it paid off. 👍 Keep us updated as to putting on watch list or not...

• I like it 4

And a new addition to the family. Yep this is one of those that I’m extremely excited to try. Can’t wait to pop open. Bought at Retail at $69.99.

182146DE-1F9E-4D06-8BE9-6BCFA8B6A05E.jpeg

• I like it 9

On 8/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, dwightschrute said:

Dunno.  Around here that could create week long frenzy, or people hanging out in the store with coffee and donuts waiting to see what gets put out next.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Adam777 said:

And a new addition to the family. Yep this is one of those that I’m extremely excited to try. Can’t wait to pop open. Bought at Retail at $69.99.

182146DE-1F9E-4D06-8BE9-6BCFA8B6A05E.jpeg

That's one been at the top of my have to get no matter who gets knifed list for a long while.  Kudos.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, bayouredd said:

OK, you took the chance & stepped out on that limb, so that makes you our resident expert on this particular one.  It seems the community & caring vibe was the deciding factor and it paid off. 👍 Keep us updated as to putting on watch list or not...

And this is what SB is all about. Kudos to you and @mbroo5880i. 👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

On 8/21/2021 at 8:59 AM, JT3NSB said:

IMG_1670.JPG

That Saffell is some tasty stuff! A bit pricey, but would be exciting to find some on a shelf. 

LS near me has this on sale for $35. They have a couple of cases, all with a 2018 bottling date. These still have the "...blend of four barrels per batch ranging in age from 6-8 years." statement on the back, which I notice is now missing from their site. I wonder if new batches still have this on the back label? Hmm...

IMG_2149.jpg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.