Empty bottle(s) support group — 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Serendipitous bottle kill tonight.  I just tasted blind my Advent Calendar sample for tonight, which turned out to be Old Forester 1920.  I was surprised when I did the reveal that I didn't immediately recognize it so I went to the cabinet to try some from the bottle.  Which was nearly empty.  Which I then killed.  Which is Prohibition Style.  Which ended on December 5.  Huh.

• I like it 2

Finished this one a few nights ago and it will be missed.  101.2 proof suits this nicely; so rich and complex and full of flavor.  I enjoyed it more than the pour of Knob Creek 12 that preceded it. 

Dickel 15 empty.jpg

• I like it 5

Gotta keep my eye out for that.  I have gone through a couple bottles of KC12 and was just not that impressed.

18 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Gotta keep my eye out for that.  I have gone through a couple bottles of KC12 and was just not that impressed.

K&L still has it in stock. 

Finished off 2 really good bottles this past week. I did keep about 100ml of the 4R 2014 for a later date. 
ECE27EC2-AB3E-4230-95AA-7B1580043909.thumb.jpeg.545cd62e9fb39353e4f4335b9fdfa262.jpeg

2763BA40-67BE-4018-9FE8-3D740D1BEA40.thumb.jpeg.d48093736be6f3c5f31f55be3cc46717.jpeg

• I like it 8

These have become so hard to consistently find, it always hurts when I finish one.  Not shy to admit that JDSBBP has been the best whiskey that I have been drinking for the last couple of years.  Another shall come out from the bunker to replace it, but digging into a thin bunker of it creates a little angst, I must admit…. 😐

7D043442-D4A0-4EF3-9B2E-31A6D0EF078C.jpeg

• I like it 8

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

These have become so hard to consistently find, it always hurts when I finish one.  Not shy to admit that JDSBBP has been the best whiskey that I have been drinking for the last couple of years.  Another shall come out from the bunker to replace it, but digging into a thin bunker of it creates a little angst, I must admit…. 😐

This has become a staple in the Smith household in the last year and my wife absolutely loves it.  Oddly, the 750s have vanished but, at least in my area, 375s are still pretty available.  But I'm afraid this is soon going to go the way of Stagg Jr., ECBP, Larceny BP, etc.    

• I like it 2

On 12/6/2022 at 2:05 PM, fosmith said:

Finished this one a few nights ago and it will be missed.  101.2 proof suits this nicely; so rich and complex and full of flavor.  I enjoyed it more than the pour of Knob Creek 12 that preceded it. 

Dickel 15 empty.jpg

I agree;  that stuff is tremendous.   

On 12/6/2022 at 4:39 PM, smokinjoe said:

Love this so much. Yet another reason why we are brothers!

• I like it 2

I hate to see this one go.

I really think that Sagamore has one of the slickest bottle designs.

The whiskey is good too😉

20221211_192548.jpg

• I like it 4

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I hate to see this one go.

I really think that Sagamore has one of the slickest bottle designs.

The whiskey is good too😉

20221211_192548.jpg

Where did you get the fantastic "Bullwinkle" stopper???  I want one real bad (I know, I know - poor Engrish)!  🥰

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Where did you get the fantastic "Bullwinkle" stopper???  I want one real bad (I know, I know - poor Engrish)!  🥰

It's not a stopper....it's a small glass that's part of a set that I bought years ago for Mrs. Skinsfan.    Here's the link   https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3006024/national-lampoons-christmas-vacation-2-pack-moose-shot-glasses-by-icup.jsp

I've seen them on Amazon too.   Easy to find.   

4 pm in the office.  Stupid Monday.  Well, at least work will get a bit more mellow.

I almost dread buying more HM10.  I got 15, mostly from one barrel, and I really like that barrel.  Down to 12.

HM10.jpg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

4 pm in the office.  Stupid Monday.  Well, at least work will get a bit more mellow.

I almost dread buying more HM10.  I got 15, mostly from one barrel, and I really like that barrel.  Down to 12.

I hit a honey barrel of HMcK 10 several years ago at a rural Virginia ABC store and spent the next two weekends driving around to ABC stores close to it and bought up every one of that barrel I could find - close to a dozen.  Still have one left unopened.  It's going with me into the great beyond unless a relative steals it when I'm not looking and couldn't object even if I was looking.

ANYWAY!! Back on thread -

HH BIB is hard to find in Wash DC, and when one finds it, the mark-up can stun one.  For this one of three I bought, I managed to get the credit card out before collapsing.  Had a good couple weeks nursing it.  Sunny the cat likes to sniff bourbon corks then knock them down the basement steps.  Good news is, I had just finished this bottle when she jumped on the table and . . .

IMG_1642.thumb.JPG.0399ef32f4db7bcc8b6ad5f3314fc628.JPG

• I like it 3

21 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I hit a honey barrel of HMcK 10 several years ago at a rural Virginia ABC store and spent the next two weekends driving around to ABC stores close to it and bought up every one of that barrel I could find - close to a dozen.  Still have one left unopened.  It's going with me into the great beyond unless a relative steals it when I'm not looking and couldn't object even if I was looking.

ANYWAY!! Back on thread -

HH BIB is hard to find in Wash DC, and when one finds it, the mark-up can stun one.  For this one of three I bought, I managed to get the credit card out before collapsing.  Had a good couple weeks nursing it.  Sunny the cat likes to sniff bourbon corks then knock them down the basement steps.  Good news is, I had just finished this bottle when she jumped on the table and . . .

IMG_1642.thumb.JPG.0399ef32f4db7bcc8b6ad5f3314fc628.JPG

I'm glad someone feels my "pain"!  That must have been a serious honey barrel to merit The Hunt.  I was fortunate that mine were all in one store.

Sounds like Sunny and I are both warming to HH7.  And cats are gonna cat....is the Christmas tree safe?

On 12/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, smokinjoe said:

I do love me some JDBP. I'm not certain how far you are from TN. I'm just 20 miles south of the state line and all the liquor stores in South Central TN have them on the shelf.

• I like it 1

Finished a bottle of Elmer T. Lee, last one that I bought, back in ~2013.  I don’t really chase bourbon anymore, but enjoying all the stuff I bought back in the day.  I’ll drink WT 101 and RRSiB and be ok.

Buffalo Trace products including store select Blanton’s and Eagle Rare were easy to find…oh well….time changes, but there is good bourbon to be found at every store, it just may not be what is hard to find.

97029981-5ED8-43B3-AE4D-E4446D31F2E4.jpeg

D383791E-61CF-4B88-98DA-9794B371E17D.jpeg

• I like it 9

Cask strength version of the high malt recipe. Very tasty. It’s interesting how Metz crafted this mash bill. He wanted an easy drinker bourbon so he set the corn at the minimum 51%. Based on his experience at MGP he knew he needed at least 16% rye for some spice so that left 34% malted barley. The key was getting the barley as high as possible. 

I would say he nailed his target with this. 

CBC929A6-E280-489E-890E-642F9622CC84.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 12/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, Anwalt said:

HM10.jpg

Wow you're picking 'em up and putting 'em down.  Well done sir.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.