Empty bottle(s) support group — 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some excellent bottle kills from the last few days. 

The Dickel 9yr SiB K&L pick was actually 13yo according to K&L and quite tasty.  At 100 proof it was very similar to the 13yr BiB expression.   

The WT101 was a LL/GH bottle from fall 2018 that, according to a Reddit post by Bruce Russel, contains a good deal of 10yo barrels.  I have to say, I agree with the reviews I read saying that the Fall 2018 WT101s were a step up. 

My first (but not last) bottle of the Benchmark Full Proof exceeded my expectations.  The nose and palate were pure Butterfinger crunchy filling.  I love that butterscotch note in bourbon which I first experienced in Stagg Jr. batch 8.  Now Benchmark isn't Stagg Jr. Jr.  There's some youthful notes and it lacks the grapey, cherry notes that I get in a lot of BT products.  But it's still a tasty pour, IMO.  And for $24, it's a no brainer. 

The Heaven's Door is a cask strength SiB K&L store pick.  5 (maybe 6, I cant remember) yo MGP distillate and really delicious with a distinct savory quality on the nose.  I'd never been interested in the brand (I'm kind of turned off by celebrity brands) but K&L had it on sale for $43 so I couldn't resist.  

It's been a good week..

empties 10 22.jpg

• I like it 7

I’ll  be keeping the empty FR bottle to refill from a FR 1.75. I will also be keeping the empty OF 86 375ml. It’s a freezer bottle, and I’ll refill it with something. 🤪

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.1ace8d71106eead3af90e806eda8afaa.jpeg

• I like it 8

This has been sitting on the back of the bottom shelf, with on this last pour, for a few years. I'm not sure why I've hung on to it. 

While I like JWD BIB just fine, I much prefer JTS Brown BIB, TW Samuel's BIB, and EW1783 more, so this won't likely be purchased again.

42D300B6-1FE8-4251-9391-5D3D2FE14EC8.jpeg

• I like it 5

I’ll need a Turkey replacement for Halloween!  😂. Burned through the rest of this one while putting up the outside Halloween decorations.  

3A6E9D1E-EBEA-4FF9-B06B-392CFEF6E778.jpeg

• I like it 9

Now to search for a replacement. I held onto this for a long time. 

The rabbit really gives you a good sized pour for your money. 

IMG_20221015_205154.jpg

• I like it 10

Found the bottom of my first bottle of ECBP C922 last night. It seemed to get better the longer it was open. Looks like I will have to make a trip to the basement today. My grab the bottle I have been saving for our Anniversary and open it up a little early. I'm sure the wife won't mind. Any guess on what it will be to celebrate 14 years of marriage?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, elmossle said:

Found the bottom of my first bottle of ECBP C922 last night. It seemed to get better the longer it was open. Looks like I will have to make a trip to the basement today. My grab the bottle I have been saving for our Anniversary and open it up a little early. I'm sure the wife won't mind. Any guess on what it will be to celebrate 14 years of marriage?

Mine are still in Ohio and Vegas.  Can't wait to get one down here to PR.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Thomm said:

Now to search for a replacement. I held onto this for a long time. 

The rabbit really gives you a good sized pour for your money. 

IMG_20221015_205154.jpg

Holy shit! Someone slept good last night 😅

That's a huge pour.

I love the John J. and we always keep a bottle on-hand. 

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Holy shit! Someone slept good last night 😅

That's a huge pour.

I love the John J. and we always keep a bottle on-hand. 

Yeah, I measured these particular glasses at six ounces when full.  There are marks on the sides, and I have a very reliable reference point for a 3 ounce pour, which is what I usually go to. Those last two (and a half?) ounces in the bottle just didn't look right. Besides, it's a proven fact that JJB's Double-Secret Triple Lindy distillation process ensures the user of the complete absence of deleterious next-day side effects. 

• I like it 1

On 10/15/2022 at 3:05 PM, smokinjoe said:

I’ll need a Turkey replacement for Halloween!  😂. Burned through the rest of this one while putting up the outside Halloween decorations.  

3A6E9D1E-EBEA-4FF9-B06B-392CFEF6E778.jpeg

The Jack-O-Tumbler! 

<chef's kiss>

When 4R tastes good, it tastes REAL good. Other times it is just meh. Tonight this tastes mighty fine. 

77C2CB8A-350F-495C-9B42-E9420A280584.jpeg

• I like it 6

After all the posts in the other thread, made this my first freezer bottle a while ago and killed it off tonight.  Definitely wasn't a fan at first, but it ended up being a solid pour about 1/2 way through.

Image.thumb.jpeg.8c3ff315272408c93bf75aebc97ae694.jpeg

• I like it 2

Still working on decreasing the open bottle count here.

I’m now down to one open 1792 varient and one open 4R SBBS recipe (at one point I had them all open on display).  Feels good, and one less bottle to dust. :)

86951F92-F7C2-4437-9A12-426ED8653FB4.jpeg

• I like it 3

The last pour of my last Frankly in Road RR Sib. I really hope the next of RR Sib picks can be as good as they were just a few years ago. The few I've had that were picked late 2020 and forward just haven't been as good. But it has been a while since I've come across them. 

29385E28-6577-46C3-A6E0-255A3E534D2B.jpeg

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

I’m now down to one open 1792 varient and one open 4R SBBS recipe (at one point I had them all open on display).  Feels good, and one less bottle to dust. :)

I'm working my way through one of these, what did you think?

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

I found that if my palate is burning (say, from spicy food eaten that day) the 1792 sweet wheat is the "softest" straight bourbon I can think of in my bar.  I use it for an opening pour that way to warm up my palate.  Otherwise, I find it a very boring pour.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, steven s said:

I'm working my way through one of these, what did you think?

I basically agree with @Kepler in that it is kind of boring and simple for me.  I prefer the Weller line for wheat, and that includes enjoying the Special Reserve.

This bottle has sat for several years.  I just never reached for it.  At one time I had every variation of 1792 open with the grand delusion of doing an sbs tasting. Now with a mission to reduce opens, I focused on finishing it off.

It was fine.

4 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

The last pour of my last Frankly in Road RR Sib. I really hope the next of RR Sib picks can be as good as they were just a few years ago. The few I've had that were picked late 2020 and forward just haven't been as good. But it has been a while since I've come across them. 

29385E28-6577-46C3-A6E0-255A3E534D2B.jpeg

Too many Turkey Taters now. Puts way too much pressure on the stocks. I wish they’d go back to whatever whiskey of the month they were chasing.  😁

Cheers 

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.