Empty bottle(s) support group — 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Several bottles were drain over the past four days. Regular BT, OF 100, FR SB OBSK and a bottle of Starlight double oaked all went to the big green bin in the sky. Several more bottles will probably be added next weekend after samples are pour for friends with what is opened or going to be opened.

• I like it 4

2 cocktail mixers + 1 sipper down.

The Rittenhouse peeking around the corner knows it's next for the Old Fashioneds.  

Cocktail + A107.jpg

• I like it 3

Some Thanksgiving week bottle kills!  The Knob Creek was DARK, and rich.  Great Kentucky Spirit and off-the-shelf Russell’s Reserve.

8FA5411B-3CC4-44A8-AFDE-7E1E82363D0D.jpeg

• I like it 6

Finished off an older Henry McKenna BIB, barreled in 2001.  Taste profile is very similar to the Parker’s Heritage Promise of Hope, which I loved back in the day.

2B62B4D9-56DC-49A6-A31A-42C5496EB284.jpeg

• I like it 9

Just a small pour left in the Knob Creek 25th anniversary.  I’ve had several bottles and all a good step above off the shelf or store selects, imho.  Getting though a large backlog of almost finished bottles in my cabinet.  Thankfully none are oxidized, still fresh and full of flavor.

941D3328-925F-49E3-A4DE-09F4D6613AAA.jpeg

• I like it 8

Put down this 2020 4RLESmB.  Top 3 in the series for me.  Hated to put it down, but it’s greatness was needed after a very trying day…

A2698DBF-A27B-4D37-BE3F-817C24F3C69D.jpeg

• I like it 8

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Put down this 2020 4RLESmB.  Top 3 in the series for me.  Hated to put it down, but it’s greatness was needed after a very trying day…

Respect.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What are the other two members of your top 3?

8 hours ago, Jazz June said:

What are the other two members of your top 3?

My top would be the 2013 “125th Anniversary”.  2009 Mariage to fill out the Top 3.  2008 Mariage was pretty special, too.  

• I like it 3

43 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

My top would be the 2013 “125th Anniversary”.  2009 Mariage to fill out the Top 3.  2008 Mariage was pretty special, too.  

Interesting. My top 3 would be 2013, 2015, and 2019. I have not had either of the Mariage releases or 2012 though. Al Young anniversary would be in the conversation if that was included as well.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Interesting. My top 3 would be 2013, 2015, and 2019. I have not had either of the Mariage releases or 2012 though. Al Young anniversary would be in the conversation if that was included as well.

I’m with you JJ on that Al Young.  👍🏻

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Pretty hard to disagree with any of that. The '08 was the most unique bourbon I've ever had. Definitely, the Al Young fits in this list.

Prost!!  Phil 

Edited by Phil T

To the bin!

The EC pick was very good; this was my second bottle of it. It's 9.5 years according to the store manager who was in on the pick. There's still a bunch left so hopefully I can grab a couple more when I pass through that area again.

Basic BT and KC9 always good and hit the spot when needed.

IMG_4111.jpg

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

To the bin!

The EC pick was very good; this was my second bottle of it. It's 9.5 years according to the store manager who was in on the pick. There's still a bunch left so hopefully I can grab a couple more when I pass through that area again.

Basic BT and KC9 always good and hit the spot when needed.

IMG_4111.jpg

This picture really drives home the point to me of how great things are in our bourbon hobby.  Three empty bottles of very fine bourbon, from three different premium distilleries, that in total cost under $100.  Things are very good for us.  

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

Friday and Saturday night's work (with assistance of course):

20221204.jpg

How was the Huber SiB?  Jut got one.  It'll make its way to PR in a few weeks.

OK, not strictly speaking an 'Empty Bottle' post... sorry.   But here goes.....

Today I had a little more ambition than usual, so I decided to rearrange my Bourbon shelves.    They had become (after many months without much regard for what came from where, or went where) all catty-wumpus.   

They were all upright at least.

I've tried various schemes to arrange 'em in the past.   This one is new for me.    I placed 'em, as much as I could, in descending order of proof with emphasis on keeping distilleries together (and a few exceptions to pair ones I want to taste carefully SBS or in one case of 4-R private picks SBSBS).     I also made a separate section for wheaters, and arranged 'em 'kinda' the same way.

Almost all of these are opened bottles and I did eliminate a few very low-fill ones (one by pouring out after the job) by adding 'em to another shelf to "drink soon".   

So I actually did empty one bottle!   So, I guess it's not totally thread-drift.   😇 Ha!

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

How was the Huber SiB?  Jut got one.  It'll make its way to PR in a few weeks.

I think they do a good job with finishes. I'm not normally a big fan of finishes, but I enjoy theirs. They integrate the finishing barrel's flavors with a good base whiskey, so you definitely know that it's finished, but it still retains the bourbon character. I also enjoy their straight bourbon and rye, for what they are - four year old whiskeys. The Hubers are doing things the right way and make solid products, but there is a ceiling to what you can get out of a four year old whiskey. I am excited to see what they can do in the coming years.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.