Empty bottle(s) support group — 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

These latest recruits for the recycling bin are bottle kills that were opened originally during the recent year-end holidays.  All of these are fine bourbons and fulfilled their roles honorably.  

I had been holding a couple of bottles of the EHTSmB in my bunker because of the great difficulty in finding it these days.  So, I hadn't opened a bottle in a while.  It was great to remind myself what an outstanding bourbon it is!

Empty Bourbon 020522.jpg

• I like it 9

Yeah it's a shame that CEHT is so hard to find now a days.  Dollar for dollar it's one of the best.  I often tell people if I was told I could only drink one bourbon for the rest of my life but I could have an unlimited supply, my choice would be CEHT SmB.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
  • I like it 5

I agree with both y’all.  CEHT SmB is top notch whiskey.  

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

It used to be a regular in my cabinet until I had a particularly hot bottle that scared me off of it and I never had a chance to revisit as it became a unicorn shortly after. Just had my first pour ever since then at a bar by the office that finally reopened after a long covid closure and found it to be quite lovely.

I keep emptying bottles and it is pissing me off.  I don't know its because the bottles are empty, I am drinking too much, or because replacements will cost more.  I am just pissed off.  

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

These latest recruits for the recycling bin are bottle kills that were opened originally during the recent year-end holidays.  All of these are fine bourbons and fulfilled their roles honorably.  

I had been holding a couple of bottles of the EHTSmB in my bunker because of the great difficulty in finding it these days.  So, I hadn't opened a bottle in a while.  It was great to remind myself what an outstanding bourbon it is!

Empty Bourbon 020522.jpg

Just  seeing these empties pisses me off.

7 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

7 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Yeah it's a shame that CEHT is so hard to find now a days.  Dollar for dollar it's one of the best.  I often tell people if I was told I could only drink one bourbon for the rest of my life but I could have an unlimited supply, my choice would be CEHT SmB.

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

6 hours ago, flahute said:

It used to be a regular in my cabinet until I had a particularly hot bottle that scared me off of it and I never had a chance to revisit as it became a unicorn shortly after. Just had my first pour ever since then at a bar by the office that finally reopened after a long covid closure and found it to be quite lovely.

I really really like it too.

You all might be interested to know that while dusting my upper cabinets in our wine/coffee bar area off the kitchen over the weekend, I came across not one but two CEHT small batch tubes that I thought were empty, up high behind  my "beer glasses of the world" collection.  I thought those tubes sitting back there were emptied and on display just for show as a backdrop to my beer glass collection, but low and behold they were heavier than I expected and had a brand new unsealed SmB bottle inside each one.  These to go along with the other 3 or 4 in my inventory that I already accounted for 😉

I guess my memory isn't what it used to be... but in this case I'm okay with that.  😊

• I like it 10

Finally finishing off the 225th anniversary picked up during my trip to KY in 2017.  While finding this was great, the highlight of the trip was actually seeing U2 on their anniversary Joshua tree tour in the outdoor football stadium.

Tasting really good tonight, like most bottle kills do.  🙂

5F77EF16-8E63-4989-B21F-5E2F932D3DD3.jpeg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well………..  🙄 Four down, and four on deck. 😁

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.9ecc9571d60fe877988a7533a3c15cbc.jpeg

It’s good to have “friends”.  Cheers Joe.

• I like it 2

Just now, markandrex said:

It’s good to have “friends”.  Cheers Joe.

Yessir, sir. 😁 Cheers right back at ya’ M. 🥃

Biba! Joe

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

Finally finishing off the 225th anniversary picked up during my trip to KY in 2017.  While finding this was great, the highlight of the trip was actually seeing U2 on their anniversary Joshua tree tour in the outdoor football stadium.

Tasting really good tonight, like most bottle kills do.  🙂

5F77EF16-8E63-4989-B21F-5E2F932D3DD3.jpeg

Wow that was a great trip!  My last trip to Kentucky was 2017 and I remember seeing that bottle. I didn't buy one for some reason even though I was and still am a fan of 1792 Barton.

I didn't catch U2 during that Joshua Tree anniversary tour, but I did see them in the original Joshua Tree tour in Ft. Worth back in 87.   What a concert that was.  It was my first rock concert and remains my favorite one ever.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Wow that was a great trip!  My last trip to Kentucky was 2017 and I remember seeing that bottle. I didn't buy one for some reason even though I was and still am a fan of 1792 Barton.

I didn't catch U2 during that Joshua Tree anniversary tour, but I did see them in the original Joshua Tree tour in Ft. Worth back in 87.   What a concert that was.  It was my first rock concert and remains my favorite one ever.

Its funny how our first "big rock concert" experiences remains our favorites.  Was such a blast to the senses.  I saw Sammy Hagar at the old Checkerdome in St. Louis around 1983 that blew me away.  I had actually gone to see the opening act Krokus but had a passing familiarity with Sammy.  I left a fan.

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Its funny how our first "big rock concert" experiences remains our favorites.  Was such a blast to the senses. 

Yep.  Kind of like our first taste of GTS or WLW.

😎

• I like it 3

My 1st pour of the night is a bottle kill. It’s been at least 4 to 5 years since I bought a KS bottle. 
I’m probably not going to wait that long again. Good stuff. 
5BED3A69-DE35-4559-A798-7CB98D2DF8CA.thumb.jpeg.dd9a8bc27aae15f271f66f13e164b6f7.jpeg

• I like it 3

14 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

My 1st pour of the night is a bottle kill. It’s been at least 4 to 5 years since I bought a KS bottle. 
I’m probably not going to wait that long again. Good stuff. 
5BED3A69-DE35-4559-A798-7CB98D2DF8CA.thumb.jpeg.dd9a8bc27aae15f271f66f13e164b6f7.jpeg

I smile every single time you break out that EWSB cup! 👍🏻

• I like it 2

Sorry to finish off this 56.2% ABV although replacement Redbreast Barrel Strength 12 YR releases are available.

I shall replace it.

IMG_1406.JPG

• I like it 3

Some empties hitting the bin from the past couple of weeks.

The OF100 was solid as always.

The DNR was tasty, and is a sleeper when found in the ~$30 range.

Mixed feelings on the RR PBS, it started out a little off for me, but after being open for a month, really shined.

KC9 great, but dislike the new bottle feel. Miss the smooth, solid heftiness of the old one.

IMG_2936.jpg

• I like it 4

On 2/8/2022 at 7:18 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

No support needed. Nice campfire marshmallow notes, but not a bottle I will look to replace anytime soon.

7D2B0CBB-98E4-46DF-84FC-757F274A93F3.jpeg

Funny you mentioning this.

I remember the old bottles of Ezra 7 year 101p having a distinct toasted marshmallow taste to them.

🤔

On 2/8/2022 at 7:18 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

No support needed. Nice campfire marshmallow notes, but not a bottle I will look to replace anytime soon.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Funny you mentioning this.

I remember the old bottles of Ezra 7 year 101p having a distinct toasted marshmallow taste to them.

🤔

I have a bottle of this EC but I haven't tried it yet.  Campfire marshmallow sounds  pretty good to me.

I really like OE7 101 but for me I get a fairly strong char note.  I guess it might be toasted marshmallow, maybe I need to crack a new bottle soon to get to the bottom of this!

Edited by Kepler
spelling
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Some empties hitting the bin from the past couple of weeks.

The OF100 was solid as always.

The DNR was tasty, and is a sleeper when found in the ~$30 range.

Mixed feelings on the RR PBS, it started out a little off for me, but after being open for a month, really shined.

KC9 great, but dislike the new bottle feel. Miss the smooth, solid heftiness of the old one.

I could have written this post myself.  I agree about the DNR wholeheartedly. 

And altough I've had several RRSiB that were fantastic from the get-go, I've also had plenty that were not all that upon first opening, but they all finished strong at the end of the bottle.

And agreed about the new KC bottle.  But! Not sure I'm with you about "bottle feel".... is that a new component of formal tasting notes now?  🤪

• I like it 1

On 2/8/2022 at 12:10 PM, Clueby said:

Its funny how our first "big rock concert" experiences remains our favorites.  Was such a blast to the senses.  I saw Sammy Hagar at the old Checkerdome in St. Louis around 1983 that blew me away.  I had actually gone to see the opening act Krokus but had a passing familiarity with Sammy.  I left a fan.

Yes!!  krokus opening for sammy hagar... i was 14 .  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.