Empty bottle(s) support group — 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sorry, but I’m drawing a blank.  Explain 4/5/6 tier bottles please. 🤔

Biba! Joe

I have been told that the last part on the barrel number signifies where they were in the stack.  4R uses a open rickhouse design and uses a tier system in stacking.

I would love to know if Jim ever experimented with a more traditional rickhouse at Four Roses (because some amazing barrels have been aged higher than the single story rickhouses).  It seems like the single story approach is limiting in terms of potential brand expressions (the possibilities of those top-rick barrels blended with others to add a little something; etc).  I'm a huge fan of Jim, and don't mean this question from a tone of "Why didn't you" but I'm sure he had given thought to the pros/cons of having at least some multi-story rickhouses - and it would be interesting to hear his thought process on that.

Gary  T quote.

From my pic, I believe it was from the 5th tier.  I could well be mistaken.

Thanks Mark. “And now I know, the rest of the story.”  😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

I would love to know if Jim ever experimented with a more traditional rickhouse at Four Roses (because some amazing barrels have been aged higher than the single story rickhouses).  It seems like the single story approach is limiting in terms of potential brand expressions (the possibilities of those top-rick barrels blended with others to add a little something; etc).  I'm a huge fan of Jim, and don't mean this question from a tone of "Why didn't you" but I'm sure he had given thought to the pros/cons of having at least some multi-story rickhouses - and it would be interesting to hear his thought process on that.

Gary  T quote.

I always thought they used that warehouse design for consistency.  They have enough variation available with their 10 different recipes without making the various permutations practically chaotic.  This was before the current boom era when every variation is like a product extension because we bourboners and completists will purchase literally every permutation!  Back then I guess consistency was the number one priority (shooting from the hip here) 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kepler

19 hours ago, markandrex said:

Gary  T quote.

Not to my knowledge and I can tell you that he's very adamant about the benefits of the single story rickhouse. If his new distillery gets built he is using that kind of rickhouse again.

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

I always thought they used that warehouse design for consistency.  They have enough variation available with their 10 different recipes without making the various permutations practically chaotic.  This was before the current boom era when every variation is like a product extension because we bourboners and completists will purchase literally every permutation!  Back then I guess consistency was the number one priority (shooting from the hip here) 🤷‍♂️

This is correct - he wanted the consistency in aging and used the 10 different mashbills for variation when it was desired. 

• I like it 1

A grey evening and the sound of the ocean mark this BT Kosher Rye Recipe bourbon's final moments.   Baxter's keeping me company out on the deck.

20220305_173901.jpg

• I like it 4

Dang this was good for under $20.  Way better than Old Tub or JB BiB, IMO, and sadly discontinued.  Glad I have a few more but am sure going to miss this when they're gone. 

distiller's cut empty.jpg

• I like it 8

Finished a BT today; wasn't a particularly interesting bottle. Hard to believe this is almost unobtanium around here...if Distiller's Cut was still available there'd be no reason to search for this.

• I like it 3

Finished an Old Tub today; I like this stuff, wish it were a year or two older like Distiller's Cut. Speaking of, I told myself when I finished this one I could open a DC...

• I like it 4

Won't be replacing this one.  I found it to be kind of young and grainy tasting and a little bland.  Slightly astringent finish too. 

I decanted it into an OGD114 bottle because their bottle (along with Eagle Rare, EHT and a number of others) is too tall to fit in my liquor cabinet and I don't like to see too many bottles proliferate on the kitchen counter. 

new riff rye bib empty.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

Won't be replacing this one.  I found it to be kind of young and grainy tasting and a little bland.  Slightly astringent finish too. 

I decanted it into an OGD114 bottle because their bottle (along with Eagle Rare, EHT and a number of others) is too tall to fit in my liquor cabinet and I don't like to see too many bottles proliferate on the kitchen counter. 

new riff rye bib empty.jpg

Good to know fosmith., thanks for the heads up on this one.

I killed these 2 brothers last night.  I look forward to choosing their replacements from the bunker soon.

20220312_200902.jpg

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I killed these 2 brothers last night.  I look forward to choosing their replacements from the bunker soon.

Love Stagg Jr.  Would love to try EHT barrel proof someday...

Headed to the bin!

The OE7 was my last. Wish the price didn't jump. Good at ~$40-45. Non-buyer in the ~$60-70 range I see it now near me.

The Dickel BIB 13yr was a great change of pace for me. Interesting notes. I found myself reaching for it when I wanted something a little different.

BT showed up near me for the first time in a while, hence the empties. Solid as always, but I don't really go nuts for it.

IMG_3033.jpg

• I like it 6

On 3/8/2022 at 2:32 PM, fosmith said:

Dang this was good for under $20.  Way better than Old Tub or JB BiB, IMO, and sadly discontinued.  Glad I have a few more but am sure going to miss this when they're gone. 

distiller's cut empty.jpg

Yeah, I really like the Distiller's Cut.  The Repeal Batch, though a lower proof is pretty good too.

Bin fodder...

This is the second batch of finishers gone. Couple good un's but oodles of shelf space for opened bottles available. The 'opening' will be glorious...

bin.jpg.8d33fb98146cab58383e495e59c1d31c.jpg

• I like it 4

Ugh i love this bourbon but hate it when i empty a bottle.  I guess i need to be glad that it happened and not sad because it ended.  Right?

C92272E5-4493-4D0C-AC54-9F14090310B2.jpeg

• I like it 3

Monday Blazz Fixer...

A nice pour for the end, but it will be missed. A LS pick that delivered; hope the next I pick up will be as good...

1792.thumb.jpg.7c778366f30b00c2acddc314626d62d0.jpg

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Monday Blazz Fixer...

A nice pour for the end, but it will be missed. A LS pick that delivered; hope the next I pick up will be as good...

I think the Bottled in Bond is the best 1792 product.  Even the non store picks are delicious. 

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I think the Bottled in Bond is the best 1792 product.  Even the non store picks are delicious. 

I agree.  At least from a consistency standpoint, which includes as you state, non store picks.  GBS did a Full Proof pick that at times is so on point to my liking, that it is my favorite pick we’ve done.  A few other picks of FP I’ve had are very good, but the BIB seems to be this whiskey’s sweet spot to me.  

• I like it 2

On 3/22/2022 at 3:22 PM, fosmith said:

You may well be right about this.  My favorite 1792 ever has been a store pick "Single Barrel" (beige neckband) but I've never tried the stock regular SiB product.  And I totally agree that even the standard BIB yellow neckband are really excellent.  Can't go wrong with those.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Vacation empties are always the best.  Greetings from Destin Florida.

20220323_180537.thumb.jpg.2e6d738c234794c4fb29ee84df4f90d7.jpg

Right down the road from ya, digging the vacation support system!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.