What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Hate to be “that guy”, but Weller single barrel is the only one Im missing to complete the entire set, and after over a year of looking for one at a price to which I would actually open/drink it, I would probably just bite the bullet and chalk it up to a lot of time, gas, and headache saved on my end.  Plus my work bonus is coming…

your mileage may vary.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Not to dismiss my friend who graciously donated 100ml sample of WSB so I can do my “complete Weller line tasting”, it would still be nice to have the stupid bottle here in front of me.  I have a bit of OCD you see.

Maybe he’ll save me the empty 🤣.

Samples are much appreciated but I enjoy reading the bottle label while drinking the contents.  That is when I take the bottle out of the paper bag.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

Not to dismiss my friend who graciously donated 100ml sample of WSB so I can do my “complete Weller line tasting”, it would still be nice to have the stupid bottle here in front of me.  I have a bit of OCD you see.

Maybe he’ll save me the empty 🤣.

I sincerely hope you can find a WSB at a reasonable price @0895.  But….

FWIW, I have a friend that graciously gave me a sample of WSB as a retirement gift. As luck would have it, I also have a bottle. I’m gonna venture a guess here and say these bottles might vary a bit. Maybe more than just a bit. 🤔 I know that single barrels can vary some, but the difference in the sample and my bottle was more than just noticeable. The sample I received was pretty good. Being a Weller whore, it pains me to say this, but my own bottle was decidedly less than stellar. In fact it is probably one of the least favorite bottles of Weller I’ve ever had. 😢 At least I bought it for close to msrp. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

not surprising Joe. I drink a lot of Weller, mostly WSR, and was lucky enough to do a trade for a partial bottle of CYPB, and while enjoyable, compared to OWA and W12 (not to mention WFP), was nowhere near worth the hype and secondary $.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Or, "ok sure, give me a 50 ml bottle Fireball."

Yeah, I pondered that briefly after walking out, but I'm pretty well (and easily) disgusted at any attempt to ransom or overcharge for liquid loaves, no matter how "rare" or limited or seasonal.  I've bought bottles off the shelf and behind the counter there on occasion before and the ransom demand hadn't been made.  The $65 I was about to spend there went instead towards a bottle of M46CS I found at my preferred LS on my return to NLR along with a backup bottle of an AR Exclusive NULU.  I'm happy to spend money (too happy really...) at shops that aren't intentionally trying to screw me - or at least aren't overt about it...

• I like it 1

On 1/16/2022 at 9:44 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, I have a friend that graciously gave me a sample of WSB as a retirement gift. 

Biba! Joe

I think we have the same friend.  

Glad to know that particular bottle tastes good.  :)

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I think we have the same friend.  

Glad to know that particular bottle tastes good.  :)

You just might be right @0895. 😉

Biba! Joe

Yesterday was a good day to make the rounds to a few local places I hadn't visited for a while.  One store had several of those Old Forester sets with the three different 375ml bottles - @ $94.99 plus tax.  😬🤬😒

big shopping day yesterday. tempted (in some cases), but passed on:

Blantons $65 (have a couple)

ER $32 (have store picks bunkered)

Latest Little Book $120 and $190

ETL $300

"ETL $300"  🤣

I remember when it was $25.  Even then, after tasting it, I thought, 'maybe I should have bought something else'.

It's not bad.  We're just talking about 90 proof no age statement whiskey from a major distillery - nothing special.  Wake up people.

• I like it 10

went to a local brew pub for a friends bday tonight. Quick glance at the bottles walking past the bar, I spotted an EC18. Was prepared to pay a premium for a pour.

I asked, and was told $60 for 1.5 oz. 

Not that prepared. ready for this insanity to end. Will it?

• I like it 4

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

"ETL $300"  🤣

I remember when it was $25.  Even then, after tasting it, I thought, 'maybe I should have bought something else'.

It's not bad.  We're just talking about 90 proof no age statement whiskey from a major distillery - nothing special.  Wake up people.

With regard to BT MB #2, or what used to be BT MB #2, my preference was always for AAA10 Year or Blanton's.  Even at 86 proof, I always found AAA10 Year to be more enjoyable.  RHF always seemed a little hot to me.  I don't even seek out BT products any more.  However, if  I were to see one on the shelf and the price were reasonable, I would still pick up a Weller, Blanton's, or BT.  

The only ETL that I found exceptional was the Commemorative Edition that came out to celebrate his 94th birthday.  It was 93 proof since he passed away shortly before his 94th birthday.  It was supposed to have been selected from honey barrels selected from those allocated to ETL

If I paid $300 for an ETL, I would expect a case of WT101 to be thrown in at no cost.

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, steven s said:

went to a local brew pub for a friends bday tonight. Quick glance at the bottles walking past the bar, I spotted an EC18. Was prepared to pay a premium for a pour.

I asked, and was told $60 for 1.5 oz. 

Not that prepared. ready for this insanity to end. Will it?

If you haven't had it,  I can save you the cost.  Just chew on a wooden popsicle stick, take a sip of regular EC, then chew on the popsicle stick again.  I jest, as everyone's preferences vary.  I have only had the older style bottles and found it to be over-oaked.  

For $60, they would need to throw in some hanger steaks and fries, nachos, and several pitchers of beer to make it worthwhile.  They could substitute one of those fancy charcuterie boards for the nachos if it had more meat and cheese than vegetables.  😀

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

If you haven't had it,  I can save you the cost.  Just chew on a wooden popsicle stick, take a sip of regular EC, then chew on the popsicle stick again.  I jest, as everyone's preferences vary.  I have only had the older style bottles and found it to be over-oaked.  

For $60, they would need to throw in some hanger steaks and fries, nachos, and several pitchers of beer to make it worthwhile.  They could substitute one of those fancy charcuterie boards for the nachos if it had more meat and cheese than vegetables.  😀

Seems like somebody is hungry. Now me too.

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Seems like somebody is hungry. Now me too.

Football, wings, salad, football, now bourbon.  Next up, more football, more bourbon  You?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Football, wings, salad, football, now bourbon.  Next up, more football, more bourbon  You?

No football for me thanks. I’m more of a soccer/baseball guy. But yes, bourbon.

• I like it 1

I passed on the latest Bardstown Discovery.  I'm sure it tastes great though. 

I also passed on Bowman single barrel at a good price.  Why am I even tempted to purchase more?  I have 2 bottles of that already that I haven't even gotten around to opening.  Sometimes I think I need help ☺️ 🤫

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I also passed on Bowman single barrel at a good price.  Why am I even tempted to purchase more?  I have 2 bottles of that already that I haven't even gotten around to opening.  Sometimes I think I need help ☺️ 🤫

You, me and everyone else here. 

Cheers

• I like it 5

Passed on Bookers 2021-04 Noe Strangers batch at $100 (I think that’s about MSRP now?). Been telling myself to stop getting it the previous batches and finally was able to hold off after begrudgingly getting the previous releases. It feels good to pass haha. 

• I like it 1

On 1/23/2022 at 12:42 AM, Kepler said:

Oooh, Discovery #6 is worth it. It's a great bottle, and I'm buying up back stock. I passed up a Barrell Private Selection, it was $100 over retail, and didn't do it out of principle. 

SWMBO stopped by a store we used to go to. I'm still on quarantine. She passed on Stagg Jr. at $299 and W12 at $349. 

• I like it 2

Last week at a local store I was surprised to see OWA and WSR, I wasn't surprised at the price, $49.99 and $89.99.  I thought they could stay on the shelf.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

SWMBO stopped by a store we used to go to. I'm still on quarantine. She passed on Stagg Jr. at $299 and W12 at $349. 

She's a "Keeper"-but then you already knew that right?  You've obviously married waaay above your paygrade.   🤣

26 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

She's a "Keeper"-but then you already knew that right?  You've obviously married waaay above your paygrade.   🤣

Us “Mizzou crowd” originally only invited her, but Clueby kept showing up, so here we are.

Now you know the real story.  🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Last week at a local store I was surprised to see OWA and WSR, I wasn't surprised at the price, $49.99 and $89.99.  I thought they could stay on the shelf.

Go get yourself some Maker's Mark and forget about it.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.