What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another email from the walking distance store,this time a Weller 107 single barrel for the bargain price of 119.97. PASS, in fact this  email angered me and that is just the opposite from what one should expect from a “hobby”.  I very much enjoy the variety of bourbon/rye available to us enthusiasts and I will continue to selectively purchase, some of my purchases may even mystify certain members given my previous comments but hey, I am an enigma LOL!! Regardless I ain’t paying 120.00 for a 30.00 bourbon. The likes of Wilderness Trail have a wheater and I will buy thiers before I succumb to this Weller nonsense. I like 107, it is my preference among the Weller variants but  the thing that irritates me most is the fact that this adds such a premium for many who would actually enjoy and appreciate this bourbon. This boom is cutting both ways, there are upstarts whose products are recahing a level of maturity that makes them interesting to me and were it not for the “boom” they may not have thrown thier hats in the ring, at the same time, some legacy classics have inflated to the point that while I may be able to afford them, I will not spend the money. I treasure this forum and the wealth of information and the camaraderie it affords, the market on the other hand has had a very negative impact on my participation in this hobby. Thank goodness for bunkers established in the years prior. Joe, I hope you can still get your Weller fix for less than a second mortgage because whats going on now is, IMHO,  just absurd.

• I like it 7

4 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Another email from the walking distance store,this time a Weller 107 single barrel for the bargain price of 119.97. PASS, in fact this  email angered me and that is just the opposite from what one should expect from a “hobby”.  I very much enjoy the variety of bourbon/rye available to us enthusiasts and I will continue to selectively purchase, some of my purchases may even mystify certain members given my previous comments but hey, I am an enigma LOL!! Regardless I ain’t paying 120.00 for a 30.00 bourbon. The likes of Wilderness Trail have a wheater and I will buy thiers before I succumb to this Weller nonsense. I like 107, it is my preference among the Weller variants but  the thing that irritates me most is the fact that this adds such a premium for many who would actually enjoy and appreciate this bourbon. This boom is cutting both ways, there are upstarts whose products are recahing a level of maturity that makes them interesting to me and were it not for the “boom” they may not have thrown thier hats in the ring, at the same time, some legacy classics have inflated to the point that while I may be able to afford them, I will not spend the money. I treasure this forum and the wealth of information and the camaraderie it affords, the market on the other hand has had a very negative impact on my participation in this hobby. Thank goodness for bunkers established in the years prior. Joe, I hope you can still get your Weller fix for less than a second mortgage because whats going on now is, IMHO,  just absurd.

I appreciate your concern Kevin. Thanks. I haven’t really seen Weller’s of any kind for a while. When I ask about Weller at Binny’s and a couple other places in my area, the answer is either, “We got a few in the other day (or last week), but it sold out right after we got it.”, or “We haven’t seen any in the last couple of weeks or so.”  My “Weller Cellar” is starting to look a little bare. Consequently, I’ve been drinking more ER, BT and MM 101 lately. I’ve been sipping on Weller’s occasionally, but very sparingly. Keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I don't even get mad anymore.  I remember OWA 7 year being the same price as regular MM.  I could find it without too much trouble either.

What goes on now is absurd.

I've moved on.  As a matter of fact I've really taken a liking to some of the higher rye Bourbons.

And to be honest, as someone who tried many batches of Weller, they could run inconsistent, even sub par in my opinion.

In some ways, it's not just the money.  It's being treated like a fool. No thanks.

Go get Maker's or Rebel 100 instead. 😉👍 Save your money.  Have fun with the hobby.

• I like it 7

I passed on an Old Fitzgerald Decanter at $499.99. The state minimum price is a pricy $199.99.  I'm not on a budget, but everything has its breaking point.

• I like it 6

21 hours ago, FlounderinDC said:

Out today at lunch and ran into a couple of places to look. Saw Knob Creek 12 for $85 and Knob Creek 15 for $150. I love the 12, never tried the 15. I have an open bottle of the 12 I paid $65 for but those prices were too much. Oh and the same place had a MM101 for $90. WTH? It is usually available around here for $40. Also had Bookers for $110. 

Nope. 

Smart passes!

Around here, the Baltimore Metro area, any time I see the KC 12 year under $70.00, I buy it.  There are a few places around that have it at that price.    The pricing on the 15 year, when it's available, is stupid, in the $130+ range.   I love them both, with a very, very slight edge going to the 15 year.   

The MM101 price is insane.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

I don't even get mad anymore.  I remember OWA 7 year being the same price as regular MM.  I could find it without too much trouble either.

What goes on now is absurd.

I've moved on.  As a matter of fact I've really taken a liking to some of the higher rye Bourbons.

And to be honest, as someone who tried many batches of Weller, they could run inconsistent, even sub par in my opinion.

In some ways, it's not just the money.  It's being treated like a fool. No thanks.

Go get Maker's or Rebel 100 instead. 😉👍 Save your money.  Have fun with the hobby.

Still finding joy and actually its rekindled a bit of interest with some of the newer distilleries and the now mature output thats hitting the market. Spot on with the MM as well, until the CS was released  I had never purchased a MM for myself. I picked up a CS on the strength of the SB commentary on it and the fact that the 101 runs mysteriously and significantly more here in GA. I have enjoyed every pour, just an outstanding bottle.

cheers!!

• I like it 1

Blanton's L&K pick + Sazerac Rye pack for $110. I've managed to almost fix my whisky nervosia disorder. Between bourbon, rye, scotch, and armagnac it just got to be too much money and not enough drinking.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

... I've managed to almost fix my whisky nervosia disorder. Between bourbon, rye, scotch, and armagnac it just got to be too much money and not enough drinking.

yea, when the buying interferes with the drinking, time to re-group

• I like it 1

A regular Elmer T. Lee for $350.00, Weller Full Proof for $279.  Thanks but no thanks.

The store did have 2 6-packs of Great Lakes Christmas Ale marked at $9.99 that I was interested in buying.  They rang up at $44+ for the two 6-packs.  I said something is wrong.  The store manager just mumbled something and rang them again.  Years ago this was a good store, but in recent times has become a rip off joint.

• I like it 1

Passed on a couple today. Again, the Kentucky Owl St. Pats. At another store I passed on a new label SAOS. It was a little hard to walk away from Sarah. 😢

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 3/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, Special Reserve said:

The store did have 2 6-packs of Great Lakes Christmas Ale marked at $9.99 that I was interested in buying.  

That was my favorite Christmas beer when I lived in Ohio. We don't get it out here so I had to find others. Good thing is there's a lot of options here. 

• I like it 2

Regular ETL for $480 at a local liquor store in Columbia, MO (before tax, of course). No shelf tag, so I had to ask.  Almost fainted. 🥵

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Regular ETL for $480 at a local liquor store in Columbia, MO (before tax, of course). No shelf tag, so I had to ask.  Almost fainted. 🥵

Welcome to Missouri!! It must have been on sale.

Good thing they didn't have any Wellurz. You'd have peed yourself.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

that's cra-cra.  ultra-high end of flipper market is $400 with shipping.  I could probably get it 2ndary for $100, but of course will wait till I find it MSRP.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

Welcome to Missouri!! It must have been on sale.

Good thing they didn't have any Wellurz. You'd have peed yourself.

They did have a WFP. But after finding what they wanted for the ETL, didn't bother to ask.  🤣

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

They did have a WFP. But after finding what they wanted for the ETL, didn't bother to ask.  🤣

Probably $600 ish.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Geez Frank. You’re smarter than I look. 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Geez Frank. You’re smarter than I look. 🤔

Biba! Joe

So are most of the rest of us good buddy.  🤪

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

So are most of the rest of us good buddy.  🤪

This I can’t deny………….🙃 But what I lack in looks, I more than make up for with my charming personality. 😘

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

No real need to go shopping today, but we did head to Walmart to check out a couple of things. Haven’t been to Wally World  in a while, so I did take a quick peek at the liquor area. They had all their “hard” liquor in locked cases. 😳 Loss prevention at it’s best. 🤨 Anyway, they didn’t have anything that interested me, so I passed on everything. What can I say? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

No real need to go shopping today, but we did head to Walmart to check out a couple of things. Haven’t been to Wally World  in a while, so I did take a quick peek at the liquor area. They had all their “hard” liquor in locked cases. 😳 

To protect it from the falling prices no doubt.  😉

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 3

Hi gang, heres a fun one. I have been exploring ryes for the past several years as the selection grew from a VERY small number to the bounty we are enjoying today. One from that early handful I just missed was WT101. The window slammed shut just as I was on the lookout for one to purchase. The re-release eluded me because I didn’t want a litre, hell I wish more distilleries put out 375s but I was never compelled to grab the big un. WT RB rye I got upon release and LOVE IT. 

When several here posted of 750 101 ryes appearing in the 20ish ballpark it was once again on my radar which brings me to todays post. I hadn’t seen one of these 750s on a shelf until last Wednesday. I stopped into a LBS that I used to frequent before our 2020 move, still a great selection but new ownership. There on the shelf was my first sighting of a WT101 750 for the bargain price of 53.99!!! Now it is possible that WT 101 rye suffers the same mysterious GA affliction that places a 15.00 premium on MM 101 vs cask strength but unless I am getting 2 bottles for that price,  its a “you have got to be f’n kidding me, HARD PASS!!”

I actually laughed when I focused in on the shelf tag and confirmed what I was sure I initially misread.

Out of state travels next month should cure that as I expect I will find much more hospitable pricing in my travels, if not then on the shelves it shall stay because at that price,  RB rye will win out every time.

• I like it 6

22 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Hi gang, heres a fun one. I have been exploring ryes for the past several years as the selection grew from a VERY small number to the bounty we are enjoying today. One from that early handful I just missed was WT101. The window slammed shut just as I was on the lookout for one to purchase. The re-release eluded me because I didn’t want a litre, hell I wish more distilleries put out 375s but I was never compelled to grab the big un. WT RB rye I got upon release and LOVE IT. 

When several here posted of 750 101 ryes appearing in the 20ish ballpark it was once again on my radar which brings me to todays post. I hadn’t seen one of these 750s on a shelf until last Wednesday. I stopped into a LBS that I used to frequent before our 2020 move, still a great selection but new ownership. There on the shelf was my first sighting of a WT101 750 for the bargain price of 53.99!!! Now it is possible that WT 101 rye suffers the same mysterious GA affliction that places a 15.00 premium on MM 101 vs cask strength but unless I am getting 2 bottles for that price,  its a “you have got to be f’n kidding me, HARD PASS!!”

I actually laughed when I focused in on the shelf tag and confirmed what I was sure I initially misread.

Out of state travels next month should cure that as I expect I will find much more hospitable pricing in my travels, if not then on the shelves it shall stay because at that price,  RB rye will win out every time.

Hey @kcgumbohead, can you do me a favor?  When you’re looking for WT 101 Rye, please double check the labels. A while back I bought a bottle of WT Rye as a surprise for @Galvin0791.  I could have sworn it was the 101 proof, but It was the 86 proof. Guess I wasn’t paying attention. 🙄 Mike took it all in stride and didn’t disown me. 😄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

There on the shelf was my first sighting of a WT101 750 for the bargain price of 53.99!!!

Could they have perhaps mixed it up with the Rare Breed rye which is about that price? 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.