What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Passed on ECBP C921. The little shop near me that has been carrying it for $54.99 (I've bought most batches the past couple years there) finally raised it's price to $66.99. The increase caused me to baulk, although I suppose that price is just catching up to the times and current retail. Will probably grudgingly go back and get one.

If it helps your brain at all, HH was charging $79.99 last time I was at the gift shop.

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Went to a museum disguised as a liquor store. They had almost every 'chase' bottle of modern times you can think of. Had a nice conversation with the lady as she explained the owner's philosophy. Glad I didn't meet him as I have met enough a@@holes in my time...

What did I pass on? Here are the highlights:

JM Cigar Blend - $299 (the only one that tempted me)

Pappy 15 - $3500

Blanton's/OWA/WSR - $239

ER - $199

OE7 - $99

Remus V - $129 (maybe the most reasonable bottle)

P.S. Fasterhorses - It's on the Beach incase you were wondering

I know it well.. theyre out of their minds! 

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 3

13 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Went to a museum disguised as a liquor store. They had almost every 'chase' bottle of modern times you can think of. Had a nice conversation with the lady as she explained the owner's philosophy. Glad I didn't meet him as I have met enough a@@holes in my time...

Pappy 15 - $3500

Blanton's/OWA/WSR - $239

ER - $199

OE7 - $99

in that neck of the woods, he will sell those at those prices unfortunately for us.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Went to a museum disguised as a liquor store.

Ahh, the museum liquor store.  Man, those are always perplexing.  The owners obviously don't comprehend retail economics.  They are not earning money by sitting on inventory that long.  Smh 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Ahh, the museum liquor store.  Man, those are always perplexing.  The owners obviously don't comprehend retail economics.  They are not earning money by sitting on inventory that long.  Smh 🤷‍♂️

It is a head scratcher. You'd think that whatever brief windfall you made off an occasional impulse buy would be more than offset by the loss of foot traffic through the store by the average shopper who would look around, roll their eyes, and never return. And if you were fortunate enough to have clients for which money is no object, you'd have an arrangement with them under the counter. "Your Pappy is in, sir- will you be sending the helicopter again?"

• I like it 4

Passed on OE7 @54.  Not a bad price but wasn't in the market for one.

Passed on the Dickel-Leopold Collaboration Blend Rye at several places ranging in price from $95-$105.  It was deep on the shelf.  No interest.

Passed on Jefferson's Oceans 23 from $59 to $85.  It was also deep on the shelf.  No interest.

I passed on a lot of other things.  But, these were the most noteworthy unless you consider the deep shelves of Sweetens Cove I see everywhere.  

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, lemonman said:

It is a head scratcher. You'd think that whatever brief windfall you made off an occasional impulse buy would be more than offset by the loss of foot traffic through the store by the average shopper who would look around, roll their eyes, and never return. And if you were fortunate enough to have clients for which money is no object, you'd have an arrangement with them under the counter. "Your Pappy is in, sir- will you be sending the helicopter again?"

Profitable businesses move product in the back door and out the front.  Shelf space is at a premium.  Anything that sits there an unusual amount of time represents opportunities lost (profits).  As much as we the enthusiasts delight at the rare and obscure, it's regular repeat sales of the most banal items that make the world go around.

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

Profitable businesses move product in the back door and out the front.  Shelf space is at a premium.  Anything that sits there an unusual amount of time represents opportunities lost (profits).  As much as we the enthusiasts delight at the rare and obscure, it's regular repeat sales of the most banal items that make the world go around.

I agree with you about all but one thing Paul. “Profitable businesses move product in the back door and out the front.” I believe that there’s probably a number of stores whose products do go out the front door, but they do so in a back door manner. Just sayin’. 😏 😂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I believe that there’s probably a number of stores whose products do go out the front door, but they do so in a back door manner. Just sayin’. 😏 😂

Biba! Joe

🤣🤣🤣

• I like it 1

On 1/30/2022 at 1:33 AM, Kepler said:

just to play devil's advocate- that inventory CAN sit on the shelf for a while because it can't be replaced (very quickly) anyway. 

On 1/30/2022 at 7:58 AM, lemonman said:

The "average shopper" you mention assumes the Average BOURBON shopper. I wonder what % of customers at this particular store on the beach are looking for bottles like these. I would guess he gets LOTS of beer/ice and generic tequila, rum, vodka traffic, a good bit of that is folks on vacation, so a return visit probably won't happen anyway... I don't like it, but maybe from a blind $$$ standpoint, he makes a little more $ ?

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I agree with you about all but one thing Paul. “Profitable businesses move product in the back door and out the front.” I believe that there’s probably a number of stores whose products do go out the front door, but they do so in a back door manner. Just sayin’. 😏 😂

Biba! Joe

100% correct

44 minutes ago, steven s said:

just to play devil's advocate- that inventory CAN sit on the shelf for a while because it can't be replaced (very quickly) anyway. 

Again, you have to understand retail economics.  Cash flow, inventory, time value of money.  If you already paid for that inventory it is actually costing you money every day you don't move it.  Now some big ticket whole good (cars, tractors, etc. are on what we used to call a "floor plan" whereby the supplier didn't charge the retailer until the retailer sold it.  I can't imagine that the liquor business would ever utilize the floor plan model however.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:33 AM, bayouredd said:

Pappy 15 - $3500

Blanton's/OWA/WSR - $239

ER - $199

OE7 - $99

BTW, how did she explain the owners philosophy?  

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

BTW, how did she explain the owners philosophy?  

She was a good employee. She didn't dog him outright. Just said the he always marked everything up because he knew it would sell eventually. He also never gave a discount on anything even to his good customers. She rambled on the subject for a bit as if she didn't quite understand. It is on the beach so it's not that surprising.

I know, I know, free enterprise, it's your right, but it doesn't keep me from putting you on "The Butt List"...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

I know, I know, free enterprise, it's your right, but it doesn't keep me from putting you on "The Butt List"...

FWIW, I prefer “Asshat” instead of “Butt”. A fitting moniker courtesy of @Vosgar. 😇

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

On 1/29/2022 at 11:33 AM, bayouredd said:

Pappy 15 - $3500

Blanton's/OWA/WSR - $239

ER - $199

OE7 - $99

With prices like this one could be tempted to drink Scotch.

To think ER 101 was around $20 20 years ago.  WSR about $15, OWA about $18.

Crazy prices.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Crazy prices.

Preach.

7 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Crazy prices.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Preach.

I hear you guys. Just for sh**s and giggles, below is a pic from one of our Binny’s get togethers back in 2011. In 2009, Binny’s had their infamous barrel pick(s) of Weller 12 for $24.99 IIRC.

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.d4ebea4d1812154c4605e6410361b93b.jpeg

• I like it 6

14 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Crazy prices.

I've shifted my purchases heavily toward the scotch side of the house the last couple of years.  But I'm also a whiskey omnivore. 

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

I've shifted my purchases heavily toward the scotch side of the house the last couple of years.  But I'm also a whiskey omnivore. 

Same here. To be fair, there is a still lots of difficulty in obtaining some of the LE releases still. But it's nowhere near the same level of craziness as bourbon.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Same here. To be fair, there is a still lots of difficulty in obtaining some of the LE releases still. But it's nowhere near the same level of craziness as bourbon.

Plus, I can get $100 of enjoyment out of that $200 bottle of scotch instead of the $30 of enjoyment I get from that $200 bottle of bourbon. 

• I like it 4

Passed on KC15.  First time I have seen it on the shelf.  It was $83.99.   I don't know.  That might be a good price  Just wasn't feeling it today.

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on KC15.  First time I have seen it on the shelf.  It was $83.99.   I don't know.  That might be a good price  Just wasn't feeling it today.

Go baaaaack

Am I the only one confused about how popular KC15 is?

I totally get the new people running after it, but didn't we all stock up on the 120p KC 14+ year store picks for $50 each a couple years back?

Or did everyone already drink up their stash?

lol.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.