What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Am I the only one confused about how popular KC15 is?

I totally get the new people running after it, but didn't we all stock up on the 120p KC 14+ year store picks for $50 each a couple years back?

Or did everyone already drink up their stash?

lol.

I was a fool and thought it would still be around, kicking myself still.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Plus, I can get $100 of enjoyment out of that $200 bottle of scotch instead of the $30 of enjoyment I get from that $200 bottle of bourbon. 

Who are you now, Master Po?  🤪

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on KC15.  First time I have seen it on the shelf.  It was $83.99.   I don't know.  That might be a good price  Just wasn't feeling it today.

I think that is a good price; at least comparatively with what I have seen here and my travels. The bad thing is, the reviews I've seen all say that it isn't worth the markup from the KC12, so I've never bought one. The KC12, I have been bunkering & it is delightful.

Believe it or not, the KC15 & MM101 have never gone completely away, here on the Gulf Coast since their debut...

• I like it 1

I passed on Basic OWA 107 @ $200 and basic WSR @ $100.  I once paid $100 for a store pick WSR after I had tasted it, but only once.  That one as worth it.

Hoping tomorrow will be better - OGDBIB at a case discount or so I am told.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Who are you now, Master Po?  🤪

image.jpeg.39c9f04e82190ae2b7707c4a531376a4.jpeg

Grasshopper,

When you snatch this bottle from my hand, it will be time for you to leave the distillery…….

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

I totally get the new people running after it, but didn't we all stock up on the 120p KC 14+ year store picks for $50 each a couple years back?

lol.

i'm down to 4 of these sadly. 

I find the new KC12 a better value at $60 than KC15 at $95

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

image.jpeg.39c9f04e82190ae2b7707c4a531376a4.jpeg

Grasshopper,

When you snatch this bottle from my hand, it will be time for you to leave the distillery…….

You sure he wasn't referring to Kung Fu Panda (Po) who would be Master Po after his training???  I know we all look alike!   🤣

Kung Fu Panda.jpg

You do know I have 5 grandchildren, yes???  🥰

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

lol.

Stash is long gone/wasn’t big enough. :(

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. 

I really want to try this one, but at $79.99, I don't see it in the cards. I think I can find it elsewhere for about $25 less. 

Left the store with an OGD 114 instead, and spent the $25 I had saved.  Sound economic principles at work. 

• I like it 5

On 2/2/2022 at 4:56 PM, 0895 said:

lol.

I think there are plenty enough 'new people' to sell all the bottles that Beam puts on the shelf.  I think sometimes some of us don't realize how many new bourbon fans are created every day.  They are multiplying like tribbles on Star Trek.

• I like it 8

With the KC 15, the age statement is right there prominent on the label.  There really aren't a lot of choices in that age range.  

Those extra aged store picks of KCSB, probably no longer an option.

I don't doubt any of us would gladly receive a KC 15 as a gift.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

I think there are plenty enough 'new people' to sell all the bottles that Beam puts on the shelf.  I think sometimes some of us don't realize how many new bourbon fans are created every day.  They are multiplying like tribbles on Star Trek.

Hehehe, tribbles. Good pull. 

• I like it 2

On 1/15/2022 at 1:08 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

A semi-local store normally has their big LE Whisky raffle and tasting the Saturday after Black Friday. For some reason it was delayed this year. Tomorrow is their SELL-OFF 2022. This used to be a pretty good store. Over the years they’ve gotten worse and worse. Now they are all out tater. I won’t be going there tomorrow, so I’ll be passing on everything. Here, hold this for me.🖕

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I feel like damaged goods because these prices, compared to what's around me, are so dreamy.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:34 AM, steven s said:

went to a local brew pub for a friends bday tonight. Quick glance at the bottles walking past the bar, I spotted an EC18. Was prepared to pay a premium for a pour.

I asked, and was told $60 for 1.5 oz. 

Not that prepared. ready for this insanity to end. Will it?

Was in KY last week and while at a bar I saw an EC18 pour listed at $15. Ordered it and got laughed at by the bartender as the bottle has been long gone.

At this point, when I walk into a place and still see juice in a, let's call them somewhat of an elusive, bottle, the price is probably a little crazy. Predictable and quite disappointing really.

Passed on KC15 again yesterday.  It may have been the same bottle I saw last week.  It might be good but there are too many other things I can buy for $83.99, including 4 bottles of OF100.   The thought that enters my mind is how many times the barrels in this batch were passed over in private selections so now the only way to move the product is to blend it.  This may be fine as blending can eliminate the faults of the individual barrels but the price doesn't match with what I would expect for passed over barrels.  The other issue for me is while I like KC12, I still find KC9 equally enjoyable.  Maybe this mashbill fits my wheelhouse in the 8 to 10 year range with anything over that stretching it a little.  I can grab 3 KC9s for the price of one KC15.  If this bottle is available when this retailer has its next 30% off sell I might bite.  I would be more enticed if the 15 year age statement was for a barrel proof offering like ECBP.

• I like it 4

I was at a higher end restaurant in Indianapolis yesterday.  No names but shrimp cocktail is one of their specialties.  They had 2 ounce pours of OF100 for $17.  I can grab a whole bottle for slightly more.  They also had 2 ounce pours of Sweetens Cove for $43.  I have never tried it and I didn't for $43 a shot.

• I like it 4

Passed on a bottle of Eagle Rare @ $58.97 also a bottle  of Weller Special Reserve @ $84.99. First one I had seen in the wild in a while. 

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, RT Fan said:

Passed on a bottle of Eagle Rare @ $58.97 also a bottle  of Weller Special Reserve @ $84.99. First one I had seen in the wild in a while. 

Makes me glad to be in Ohio - wow that mark up is rough.

• I like it 1

Yesterday I passed on Four Gate aged 80 something days in Spanish Oloroso Sherry cask @ $199.99, and KY Owl Confiscated @ $99.99.  These were in a grocery store sitting on the shelf.  It's not even a high end grocery store.  Meanwhile, the flavored Crown Royal and mid shelf vodka are locked in the glass case. 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Yesterday I passed on Four Gate aged 80 something days in Spanish Oloroso Sherry cask @ $199.99, and KY Owl Confiscated @ $99.99.  These were in a grocery store sitting on the shelf.  It's not even a high end grocery store.  Meanwhile, the flavored Crown Royal and mid shelf vodka are locked in the glass case. 🤣🤣🤣

I had literally never heard of Four Gate until a couple weeks ago, then researched it.  I think the guy Bill, ModernThirst, used to post here a lot.  But I don't know if I get the appeal for those bottles.  Never tried any of them, though.  Maybe they are indeed the second coming...

On 2/6/2022 at 1:00 AM, Kepler said:

I love the 15 . Great pour. 

Passed on Bardstown Discovery 6 (again) and Cream of Kentucky BiB Rye.  Never seen the CoK Rye before but I reckon I don't need another rye especially bonded at $70.  I'm sure it's good though.  I just have plenty of ryes for the amount I drink them.

Also passed on a Smooth Ambler "Founders" series, another one I've never come across before.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.