What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on Virginia Gentleman for $14.99.  A full shelf.  80 proof.  I have heard off it but I don't believe I have ever seen it in Indy.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on Virginia Gentleman for $14.99.  A full shelf.  80 proof.  I have heard off it but I don't believe I have ever seen it in Indy.

I know of only one store in Indy where I've seen it.  I bought a bottle out of curiosity.  It's a very mild pour, nothing wrong with it.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Way to bring a dose of reality. They saw $60 and were ready to clear the shelf.  😀😜  In all fairness, it is a slightly confusing shelf tag.  

I’ve been running on very little sleep the last week. I swore today was Thursday and yesterday was Friday. So numbers are a bit too advanced for me at the moment lol.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I think that’s a bowman product.

their version of benchmark perhaps 🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

I think that’s a bowman product.

their version of benchmark perhaps 🤷🏻‍♂️

Because the world needs more Benchmark. . . 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Because the world needs more Benchmark. . . 

Heck I LOVE Benchmark and Virginia Gentleman. @Rhettro was kind enough to gift me one. Both killer values IMO.

• I like it 1

Saw an Old Fitz 17 and Heaven Hill 17 $1599 and $1699.  Wowzers!  I shouldn’t be surprised anymore.   Also saw a couple bottles of the Willett 8 yr Wheat for $500.  

3 minutes ago, JGriff said:

Saw an Old Fitz 17 and Heaven Hill 17 $1599 and $1699.  Wowzers!  I shouldn’t be surprised anymore.   Also saw a couple bottles of the Willett 8 yr Wheat for $500.  

Wow, $1699.00 for the  HH? 😳

Biba! Joe

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Wow, $1699.00 for the  HH? 😳

Biba! Joe

I guess it’s now $100 for every year of aging?!   Crazy town.   

3 minutes ago, JGriff said:

Yes @JGriff, definitely crazy town. 🫤

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I was in my local grocery today (see post under what did you purchase) and noticed 750 ml bottles of Larceny priced at $13.99.  It didn't indicate it was on sale or clearance.  I thought long and hard about picking up a bottle.  However, the deciding factor against was that I didn't want to get up to register and find it was mispriced.  I guess I could have just told them that I didn't want it.  The other deciding factor was that other than the very first bottle I bought every other bottle has been skank.  Still, I could try a pour and if it is still skank, we could use it in our baking bourbon rotation.  

I also passed on a holiday gift set of three 375 ml bottles of Beam bourbons for $28.99.  It had KC9, BH, and Beam Black.  I was intrigued but not as intrigued as by the bottle WT101 that I bought.  The shelf tag said the regular price was $48.99.  My guess is the sale price is the actual price.  They were just trying to trick me.

I also passed on New Riff Rye for $32 on clearance at another store.  I don't believe I have seen New Riff for less than $42.  I passed because I wanted to be patient on my purchases with the hope of finding something better which I did.  Still that seems like a good price.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I was in my local grocery today (see post under what did you purchase) and noticed 750 ml bottles of Larceny priced at $13.99.  It didn't indicate it was on sale or clearance.  I thought long and hard about picking up a bottle.  However, the deciding factor against was that I didn't want to get up to register and find it was mispriced.  I guess I could have just told them that I didn't want it.  The other deciding factor was that other than the very first bottle I bought every other bottle has been skank.  Still, I could try a pour and if it is still skank, we could use it in our baking bourbon rotation.  

I also passed on a holiday gift set of three 375 ml bottles of Beam bourbons for $28.99.  It had KC9, BH, and Beam Black.  I was intrigued but not as intrigued as by the bottle WT101 that I bought.  The shelf tag said the regular price was $48.99.  My guess is the sale price is the actual price.  They were just trying to trick me.

I also passed on New Riff Rye for $32 on clearance at another store.  I don't believe I have seen New Riff for less than $42.  I passed because I wanted to be patient on my purchases with the hope of finding something better which I did.  Still that seems like a good price.

That's a great price on the New Riff and it is a very good pour,  in my humble opinion.

I'd pass on the Larceny too, at almost any price. 😉

• I like it 4

I noticed the Larceny was repriced today to $27.99.  If was a pass at $13.99, I guess this makes it a double pass.  

I didn't pass on it but just missed out on Baby Saz for $27.99.  This store doesn't idly place shelf tags so this means it was on the shelf today whether a single bottle or a few.  

• I like it 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:33 PM, JGriff said:

Wait, isn’t that WFE marketing strategy?

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I noticed the Larceny was repriced today to $27.99.  If was a pass at $13.99, I guess this makes it a double pass.  

I do not care for the regular Larceny at all, at any price.

Still working on the BP's.  Liking them.  Plan to do a tasting of 3 different ones with friends in PR.  Just managed to get some C922's, looking forward to trying.  They were $70, not sure if that's too much for the self-proclaimed Cheap Bastards among us.

• I like it 1

I passed on Benchmark Full Proof at 20 bucks.  People have told me to try it, but I decided to pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace at $22 instead.

• I like it 2

Larceny BP $89.99

ECBP (store pick)* $89.99

*picked by my favorite LS, and  they let me try it.  I would have to really, really like it to pay that kind of money. Just not a big ECBP fan.  

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

I passed on Benchmark Full Proof at 20 bucks.  People have told me to try it, but I decided to pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace at $22 instead.

I can see why some people may not be a fan of this but I think it's pretty tasty.  Butterscotch on the nose and palate brings to mind biting into a Butterfinger candy bar but without the chocolate.  It's sweet but I like sweet bourbons.  It is youthful but not in a bad way, IMO.  And it is a bit hot but so are most 125 proofers.  I initially bought a bottle just to satisfy my curiosity and liked it enough to buy a couple more.  If you do break down and try it, let us know what you think. 

45 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I can see why some people may not be a fan of this but I think it's pretty tasty.  Butterscotch on the nose and palate brings to mind biting into a Butterfinger candy bar but without the chocolate.  It's sweet but I like sweet bourbons.  It is youthful but not in a bad way, IMO.  And it is a bit hot but so are most 125 proofers.  I initially bought a bottle just to satisfy my curiosity and liked it enough to buy a couple more.  If you do break down and try it, let us know what you think. 

I am not a BT fan in general.  I found it hot and harsh, I call it "the worst Stagg Jr ever."  But it has mellowed over the months, with less harshness and more flavor.  I blended some with Eagle Rare and it improved both of them to my palate.   I also wonder since it is a relatively new expression, if maybe there is some variation between bottles/batches?

On 11/12/2022 at 6:15 PM, Anwalt said:

I do not care for the regular Larceny at all, at any price.

Still working on the BP's.  Liking them.  Plan to do a tasting of 3 different ones with friends in PR.  Just managed to get some C922's, looking forward to trying.  They were $70, not sure if that's too much for the self-proclaimed Cheap Bastards among us.

I am certainly a Cheap Bastard.  I paid $74.99 for each of my last two ECBPs, B522 and C922.  Several months ago, I would never imagined paying over $70.  However, I have enjoyed all but one of the releases that I have had and I have most of the releases.  After a few year drought I finding it in the wild, I have been seeing more and more. The price in Indy seems to be $74.99.  I saw several cases of C922 today and that was the price.  I haven't opened the C922 that I have.  I guess I should soon so that I might be able to pick up another if it is stellar.

$75 for a 12-year old barrel proof bourbon of known provenance with a great record on the enjoyment scale seems like a fair price.  I would prefer the $39.99 I paid for my first bottle or the $40-$50, I paid for several bottles but those days are gone.  I don't need to buy a bottle over every release but as long as it presents itself at a price I consider fair, I will bite the bullet and walk out of the store with a bottle.

Similar  story with many bourbons, FRSiB BS, WL12, OWA, WTRB, etc. I am fine with WT101, KC9, OF100, etc.  But, occasionally, it is nice to have something special.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Similar  story with many bourbons, FRSiB BS, WL12, OWA, WTRB, etc. I am fine with WT101, KC9, OF100, etc.  But, occasionally, it is nice to have something special.

This is me.  I should definitely be in the Cheap Bastard club.  There have been too many bourbons that I have tried and just thought were very average (or maybe less than average) but asking well above average pricing.  Happy to stick with the standbys and have something better on occasion - if the price is right. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am certainly a Cheap Bastard.  I paid $74.99 for each of my last two ECBPs, B522 and C922.  Several months ago, I would never imagined paying over $70.  However, I have enjoyed all but one of the releases that I have had and I have most of the releases.  After a few year drought I finding it in the wild, I have been seeing more and more. The price in Indy seems to be $74.99.  I saw several cases of C922 today and that was the price.  I haven't opened the C922 that I have.  I guess I should soon so that I might be able to pick up another if it is stellar.

$75 for a 12-year old barrel proof bourbon of known provenance with a great record on the enjoyment scale seems like a fair price.  I would prefer the $39.99 I paid for my first bottle or the $40-$50, I paid for several bottles but those days are gone.  I don't need to buy a bottle over every release but as long as it presents itself at a price I consider fair, I will bite the bullet and walk out of the store with a bottle.

When I tried the ECBP at the "bottle your own" at the distillery this past summer, I was sold.  I get that's their cherry-pick bottle, only the best for that tour.  I have enjoyed every one I have tried since then.  It really hits the spot for me.  And there are lots of bottles that cost more that do not come close.  This is the first higher proof that I found I could enjoy without ice as well.

My pleasure is increased by knowing that the redoubtable Cheap Bastard will spend for it!

I was out of town, picking up a bottle that I can't get at home, so I passed on this. I'm wishing I wouldve bought it for that outstanding price. 

0586D88B-6199-48B1-824C-36E268324549.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.