What rye did you purchase/ drinking 2022

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I'll get this year started, although a few days late. I'm currently enjoying a pour of Parker's heritage heavy char rye for my birthday pour, which is also a day late, but I worked a long one yesterday. So the meal and celebration was postponed until today. Cheers everyone and here is hoping to another wonderful year of drinking rye.

• I like it 1

Had a variety of pours today as it's a snow day here, and no work tomorrow either. Started off with a baby saz and ended here again. It's so good this topic just might become watch me quickly drink a PHC rye without sharing. I do hope some of my friends get to try some though. I'm going to have to try and hide this bottle behind some others just to make sure they can.

IMG_20220107_182733.jpg

• I like it 2

Opened a RB Rye I purchased at the distillery gift shop in August.. Mmmm! 
Happy FRYEday!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kjbarth said:

Opened a RB Rye I purchased at the distillery gift shop in August.. Mmmm! 
Happy FRYEday!

I recently purchased and opened my first RB Rye.  I agree.  Mine is a standard version and it is stellar.  Easily on par with Pikesville. I can only imagine what a gift shop version tastes like.  Enjoy!

I am on a Rare Breed flight tonight so bourbon is on deck.  However, the rye is a awesome!

• I like it 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:38 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I recently purchased and opened my first RB Rye.  I agree.  Mine is a standard version and it is stellar.  Easily on par with Pikesville. I can only imagine what a gift shop version tastes like.  Enjoy!

I am on a Rare Breed flight tonight so bourbon is on deck.  However, the rye is a awesome!

Would the gift shop bottle be that different? I mean if it’s just the regular RB Rye, it’d be the same thing, yeah? When I was there in June the RB Rye they had for sale looked to be the same stuff I can find on my local shelves. Maybe I was wrong?

Talk of the Leopold Three Chamber Rye and spotting a bottle of the newest "Holiday Edition" of the Three Chamber Rye inspired me to have a rye night this week. OK, several rye nights this week!

647253920_Ryewhiskey.jpg.cd4e85ff9f118a4ee1ae952ac2415258.jpg

None of them are really a direct comparison to the Leopold BIB Rye which is 80% Abruzzi rye (an old style rye species they sought out and had grown just for this purpose) and 20% of their own floor malted rye (or at least I presume it is rye!). I suppose that a younger Old Potrero with its malted rye mashbill might be closest but the Hotalings is 16yo (and delicious!). The LSB with is 13yo ADL 100% rye is also excellent. Better than many Whistlepigs that I have had. The KBD Vintage 21 is interesting and dense but still more ashy than I really enjoy. 

The Leopold is certainly the most distinctive of the bunch with its sweet bready yeast character but certainly also has a unique rich oily finish to it that I don't see in most rye whiskies. I hope that let some of it age a while. And that if they do I can afford a bottle without mortgaging my house...

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Talk of the Leopold Three Chamber Rye and spotting a bottle of the newest "Holiday Edition" of the Three Chamber Rye inspired me to have a rye night this week. OK, several rye nights this week!

647253920_Ryewhiskey.jpg.cd4e85ff9f118a4ee1ae952ac2415258.jpg

None of them are really a direct comparison to the Leopold BIB Rye which is 80% Abruzzi rye (an old style rye species they sought out and had grown just for this purpose) and 20% of their own floor malted rye (or at least I presume it is rye!). I suppose that a younger Old Potrero with its malted rye mashbill might be closest but the Hotalings is 16yo (and delicious!). The LSB with is 13yo ADL 100% rye is also excellent. Better than many Whistlepigs that I have had. The KBD Vintage 21 is interesting and dense but still more ashy than I really enjoy. 

The Leopold is certainly the most distinctive of the bunch with its sweet bready yeast character but certainly also has a unique rich oily finish to it that I don't see in most rye whiskies. I hope that let some of it age a while. And that if they do I can afford a bottle without mortgaging my house...

Quite the lineup. I e never had a vintage rye, ever. But that's a super solid lineup. I thought the regular 3 chamber was interesting, but not super. How did the special compair?

On 1/9/2022 at 9:28 PM, Mattk said:

Quite the lineup. I e never had a vintage rye, ever. But that's a super solid lineup. I thought the regular 3 chamber was interesting, but not super. How did the special compair?

The one above is the only one I have tried so I cant say.

I recently picked up the Dickel x Leopold collaboration and another store pick of Wilderness Trail.

• I like it 2

I picked up another Pikesville for the bunker. I thought long and hard about snagging a bottle of Wilderness Trail and probably will finally bite the bullet and try that one before too long.

• I like it 2

Right place at the right time kind of purchase. I was pretty excited to finally see a couple bottles. I've wanted to try one since they were first released. It doesn't disappoint.

IMG_20220114_150411.jpg

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Mattk said:

Right place at the right time kind of purchase. I was pretty excited to finally see a couple bottles. I've wanted to try one since they were first released. It doesn't disappoint.

IMG_20220114_150411.jpg

Boy, that Rye has a lot of color. 

Cheers

17 hours ago, Mattk said:

IMG_20220114_150411.jpg

Love the Balboa.  I also recently picked up a 6 year Malted Rye from New Riff, though haven’t cracked that open yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not been having many lately. Things have been a bit crazy out my way, but I had a craving. So to tonight's pour is a bit different.

IMG_20220123_193713.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 3:42 PM, Mattk said:

IMG_20220114_150411.jpg

I passed on a bottle.

I've regretted it ever since.

I like every New Riff that I've tried.

I picked up a new one for me - Cardinal Spirits Straight Rye Whiskey 90 proof "at least 3 years old".  Cardinal Spirits is a company in Bloomington, IN (my old hometown).  From what I can tell they buy Bourbon and Rye from MGP and bottle it under their own label.

So, how is it.  Dickel and Bulleit both offer a 90 proof Indiana Rye (MGP) with no age statement (so at least 4 years old).  My impression is the Cardinal Spirits version is very close to those, not necessarily better or worse.  At $20.99 on sale, I may even get a back up bottle.

For the same price they have an "at least 3 years old" Bourbon too.  Still thinking about that one. 🤔 Bourbon that young is usually white doggy.  May take one for the team.

The thing about these small NDP or craft operations is I doubt they ever have a proper warehouse to age barrels like the legacy distillers in KY, where the temperatures fluctuate. 

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

This is a stellar MGP rye.

20220203_182903.jpg

NB has some stellar barrels.

• I like it 2

I’m still not really buying whiskey, but I’ll still walk through an aisle just out of curiosity and maybe will grab something as a gift or whatever. I scanned a rye section and saw a couple newer expensive things. Then I noticed that Old Overholt 114. I knew that had come out a while ago but hadn’t seen it around here before. Is that stuff any good? Affordable price at $34 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

NB has some stellar barrels.

This is my first one and, If this rye is any indication, I'm all in.

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I’m still not really buying whiskey, but I’ll still walk through an aisle just out of curiosity and maybe will grab something as a gift or whatever. I scanned a rye section and saw a couple newer expensive things. Then I noticed that Old Overholt 114. I knew that had come out a while ago but hadn’t seen it around here before. Is that stuff any good? Affordable price at $34 

It's really good, and lot of bang for the buck. 

The average price around here, (metro Baltimore area), is ~ $30.00.

A case that I had special ordered about 2 years ago arrived at the Utah state liquor store today. Happy to get it for just under $80/bottle, but the wait was long. Hopefully will be worth it.

MichtersRye.jpg

Edited by Mano
  • I like it 6

1 hour ago, Mano said:

A case that I had special ordered about 2 years ago arrived at the Utah state liquor store today. Happy to get it for just under $80/bottle, but the wait was long. Hopefully will be worth it.

MichtersRye.jpg

Surprised they even fulfilled it since it is "allocated". Isn't MSRP ~$100?  I've seen it go for $200+. Wasn't completely gone (as in mot being released at all) for 1.5 years or so? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.