Cocktail Hour—2022

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Decided on a Manhattan tonight with Elijah Craig Rye Whiskey. Been really enjoying using the EC Rye for cocktails lately. 

26E93AE8-7020-43E8-8949-6901810F9872.jpeg

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, apt43bear said:

Decided on a Manhattan tonight with Elijah Craig Rye Whiskey. Been really enjoying using the EC Rye for cocktails lately. 

26E93AE8-7020-43E8-8949-6901810F9872.jpeg

My favorite thing about making a similar cocktail is pulling that cork on the Antica. 

• I like it 1

Having been a while since I'd picked up an Old Forester 100 Proof/Signature, grabbed one which also had a freebie hang-box of Old Forester Perfect Old Fashioned Syrup.  Figured why not - and wow, glad I did.  Followed the instructions (although added the syrup first so I could add the OldFo in the Oxy stainless measuring cup after, to 'rinse' the syrup out as much as I could) which called for 1/2 oz of the syrup and 2 oz of Old Forester (didn't specify 100, but obviously what I used).  I haven't tried a lot of pre-mixed stuff, but this is delightful!  

IMG_20220306_152758.thumb.jpg.56a18ba6a123c5fc7cbcb1f359c2cd6d.jpg

After just a couple of sips, I thought "Damn - I need to look into this!"  Found it on their web-site (https://www.oldforester.com/products/old-forester-perfect-old-fashioned-syrup/) for $8 . . . for the same 2 oz bottle.  Yikes - $2 a drink?  Hell, the Old Forester 100 isn't costing me $2 a drink.  So probably won't buy a bottle, but may pick up another OldFo100 if I see the freebie hanger-on ;) 

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, GaryT said:

Having been a while since I'd picked up an Old Forester 100 Proof/Signature, grabbed one which also had a freebie hang-box of Old Forester Perfect Old Fashioned Syrup.  Figured why not - and wow, glad I did.  Followed the instructions (although added the syrup first so I could add the OldFo in the Oxy stainless measuring cup after, to 'rinse' the syrup out as much as I could) which called for 1/2 oz of the syrup and 2 oz of Old Forester (didn't specify 100, but obviously what I used).  I haven't tried a lot of pre-mixed stuff, but this is delightful!  

IMG_20220306_152758.thumb.jpg.56a18ba6a123c5fc7cbcb1f359c2cd6d.jpg

After just a couple of sips, I thought "Damn - I need to look into this!"  Found it on their web-site (https://www.oldforester.com/products/old-forester-perfect-old-fashioned-syrup/) for $8 . . . for the same 2 oz bottle.  Yikes - $2 a drink?  Hell, the Old Forester 100 isn't costing me $2 a drink.  So probably won't buy a bottle, but may pick up another OldFo100 if I see the freebie hanger-on ;) 

I really appreciate that after all your years in this hobby with all the money that you've spend, that you can still be a cheap ass who costs out the number of old fashioneds you get from a 2 ounce bottle of syrup. 🤣

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, BigRich said:

I really appreciate that after all your years in this hobby with all the money that you've spend, that you can still be a cheap ass who costs out the number of old fashioneds you get from a 2 ounce bottle of syrup. 🤣

Heehee!  

19 hours ago, BigRich said:

Hey - I come by my frugality honestly on multiple fronts 😉  I'm just not show how outrageous the cost is (shit, now I'm contemplating a spreadsheet to sort out the cost of bitters and sugar that goes into my simple syrup . . . )

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Hey - I come by my frugality honestly on multiple fronts 😉  I'm just not show how outrageous the cost is (shit, now I'm contemplating a spreadsheet to sort out the cost of bitters and sugar that goes into my simple syrup . . . )

@BigRich if you're curious, sugar (priced at the 4 lb bag of Domino) + Angostura aromatic bitters (priced at the 4 oz bottle), using 1/4 oz sugar (1/2 oz simple syrup) & 1.5 ml of bitters (my guess at 2 dashes) comes out to around $0.11 per old fashioned.  

Just as I suspected . . . HIGHWAY ROBBERY at $2 a throw!! (although already killed off that 2 oz bottle, so they were tasty :D)

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, GaryT said:

@BigRich if you're curious, sugar (priced at the 4 lb bag of Domino) + Angostura aromatic bitters (priced at the 4 oz bottle), using 1/4 oz sugar (1/2 oz simple syrup) & 1.5 ml of bitters (my guess at 2 dashes) comes out to around $0.11 per old fashioned.  

Just as I suspected . . . HIGHWAY ROBBERY at $2 a throw!! (although already killed off that 2 oz bottle, so they were tasty :D)

We might be distant relatives...😄

• I like it 1

Palate's a bit off tonight, so Old Fashioned it is, with Rittenhouse BiB as the base- delicious...let's have another!

• I like it 1

Its cold out, flurries this morning, and temps in the teens tomorrow night…yuck.  So, cooking up a pot of chili, and now kicking back and watching “Clue” on TV with a bright and crispy Vesper.  😋

4404D1C5-56FA-4FAE-9735-9D55FF57400A.jpeg

• I like it 3

I'm lazy, so my Old Fashioned is typically just bitters, simple syrup and whiskey.  Decided to put more work into it today, muddling a tsp of demerara sugar, 2 angostura + 1 orange bitters & 1 tsp water.  Never got to really a paste, but got to where I couldn't visibly see hardly any crystals left.  Added 2oz ECBP and stirred, while smoking an apple chip into a mason jar (thanks for the link @tanstaafl2), spilling everything into that and swirling for about 30 seconds, then back into the original glass.  Quite nice!  

• I like it 1

Irish Old Fahsioned.

2oz. Jameson.

3/4oz. Benedictine

2 dashes orange bitters

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Delicious.

• I like it 2

On 3/19/2022 at 10:51 PM, flahute said:

Irish Old Fahsioned.

2oz. Jameson.

3/4oz. Benedictine

2 dashes orange bitters

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Delicious.

Trying this tonight, and . . . yep . . . definitely have to start buying a full 750 of Benedictine going forward!  Thanks for sharing!

Made this two weeks ago at poker night, need to go less on the grenadine and a little more lemon juice but wasn’t bad.

892609C4-F3E4-49DB-A05F-8166A84EB114.jpeg

• I like it 1

Happy Hour tonight is a version of  a "Peach Me", using a few thing I have recently acquired.

I used 2 ounces of WT101.

I used 1 Amarena Cherry.  Christmas gift form my son.

I used 3 drops of of Rock Creek Bitters Orange Spice.  Bought this at a street market when I was down at St. Pete's Beach in February.

Didn't strain, left the drink in the glass with the muddled fruit.

These were my changes from the below cocktail recipe.

Basically a Peach Old Fashion.  Pretty good.  I was able to find a use for the old bottle of Peach Schnapps I had stored in the bunker. WIN!

Ingredients

• 1 Luxardo maraschino cherry

• 1 orange slice

• 3 dashes Angostura orange bitters

• 2 1/2 ounces Woodford Reserve bourbon

• 1/2 ounce peach schnapps

• Garnish: orange slice

Steps

1. Muddle the cherry, orange slice and bitters in a mixing glass.

2. Add the bourbon, peach schnapps and ice and stir until well-chilled.

3. Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.

4. Garnish with an orange slice.

Edited by Richdel
  • I like it 1

Manhattan up tonight (please pardon the incorrect glassware). Noilly Prat vermouth, Angostura bitters, inexpensive Kroger brand maraschino cherries, and OGD BIB for the base. Mom and Pop used to always drink these on top of a few cubes. No disrespect intended, but I rather enjoy this iteration substantially more. 

IMG_20220325_223646.jpg

• I like it 5

On 3/25/2022 at 11:40 PM, Thomm said:

Manhattan up tonight (please pardon the incorrect glassware). Noilly Prat vermouth, Angostura bitters, inexpensive Kroger brand maraschino cherries, and OGD BIB for the base. Mom and Pop used to always drink these on top of a few cubes. No disrespect intended, but I rather enjoy this iteration substantially more. 

IMG_20220325_223646.jpg

Can't imagine anyone not respecting someone finding joy in what they enjoy - bravo!

I'm enjoying an Old Pal tonight - some 'Bar Rye' (which is a bunch of different ryes; whenever it gets low I top it off with whatever is handy and open so likely this has Rittenhouse BIB, Baby Saz, Old Fo Rye, Castle & Key Restoration Rye, and some other stuff), Campari, and Dolin blanc vermouth.  While I'm enjoying it as I haven't hit anything with Campari recently, learning that I'd prefer a Vieux Carre or Preakness or Manhattan.  Starting to set my Friday night dance card early ;) 

• I like it 1

When you are on a low carb diet, the cocktail options get narrowed down so my wife and I have been experimenting with Martinis. I recently was given a book with cocktail recipes from Death & Co. which has a lot of great options - variations on ingredients and ratios. Tonight however we went with a recipe from a Substack subscription I recently signed up for - Cocktails with Suderman. I've been monitoring the free version for a while now and the Irish Old Fahsioned recipe I posted a while ago came from this.

So - this martini is called the Martini Deluxe. It's based on a mid-century era recipe from a cocktail book by David Embury called The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks.

That recipe calls for Lillet Blanc. However, since the book was written, the recipe for Lillet has changed. Supposedly, Cocchi Americano has a more pronounced bitter backbone that resembles what Lillet used to be like so it is the proper substitution for this recipe.

It is:

1/2 ounce Cocchi Americano

2 1/2 ounces Beefeater gin. The gin is important - must be dry and non floral. (Tanqueray for example is too floral)

Garnish with lemon.

Wow this is good! I will make this again!

• I like it 2

I'm with you on the gin. I've tried many of the fancy, modern gins, but I always go back to (regular) Beefeater to center myself.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, flahute said:

When you are on a low carb diet, the cocktail options get narrowed down so my wife and I have been experimenting with Martinis. I recently was given a book with cocktail recipes from Death & Co. which has a lot of great options - variations on ingredients and ratios. Tonight however we went with a recipe from a Substack subscription I recently signed up for - Cocktails with Suderman. I've been monitoring the free version for a while now and the Irish Old Fahsioned recipe I posted a while ago came from this.

So - this martini is called the Martini Deluxe. It's based on a mid-century era recipe from a cocktail book by David Embury called The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks.

That recipe calls for Lillet Blanc. However, since the book was written, the recipe for Lillet has changed. Supposedly, Cocchi Americano has a more pronounced bitter backbone that resembles what Lillet used to be like so it is the proper substitution for this recipe.

It is:

1/2 ounce Cocchi Americano

2 1/2 ounces Beefeater gin. The gin is important - must be dry and non floral. (Tanqueray for example is too floral)

Garnish with lemon.

Wow this is good! I will make this again!

Just made one, and enjoying it! 👍🏻

593864A5-76F3-4977-8935-39784A1FAD42.jpeg

I made my first Vieux Carré cocktail today, nor had I ever had one before. I used the standard recipe of 3/4 oz rye, 3/4 oz sweet vermouth, 3/4 oz Benedictine, 2 dashes Angostura, and 2 dashes Peychaud's. It tasted very good, but man, it was way too sweet.

What proportions do y'all like?

Tried a French Gimlet. Tanqueray, St. Germaine, and lime juice. I know it's not the right type of glass but they were clean.20220405_221408.thumb.jpg.30b0342469535d2ae3a122f71ec6b6eb.jpg

Had a bottle of Suntory Toki sittin around forever that someone gave me. Decided to use it up and a high ball is all I could think of making with it. 

4D6728A1-7902-4845-ACE3-25DD8B0C6734.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.