What Foreign Whiskey/Whisky Are You Drinking 2022

BigRich
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Christmas Eve family dinner was over.  My job post-food included putting the garbage bag on the front porch in hopes that the local animals leave it alone AND doing ALL the dishes.  After everyone else had left or gone upstairs and after hand washing the last pot, wine glass, and over-sized serving dish, I started the dishwasher and grabbed a StraightBourbon Glencairn and poured myself less than two ounces of a close-to-Dusty Murray Hill Club, batch 18. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Got up this AM at 6 ET anticipating the rise of a three year old grandniece.  I was right on time to keep her from attacking the presents.  No animals attacked my garbage bags on the front porch either.  Great Xmas morn.

Celebrating with sips from some Xmas gifts - a really young Maryland Whiskey Co., Rockville, Maryland, single cask 90 proof whiskey (with lots of promise - excellent mash bill - grain of course BUT caramel notes, chewy mouthfeel, slight pepper even in something so young) AND some Cedar Ridge (Swisher, Iowa) BIB RYE batch 2 bottle 2469.  The CR is from relatives who attended U of Iowa and asked over Labor Day if I’d like to try some. DUH!!!

I’d buy this CR BIB if I saw it locally.  Good mouthfeel, plenty of pepper laying on top of caramel and Allspice, crisp if short finish which leaves NO aftertaste.  It calls to me — CLASSIC siren song.  Good news is I don’t have to drive anyplace today  except to the alley to deposit those garbage bags on the front porch.  I’ll do that after all the relatives leave and my wife and I eat a two rib standing rib by ourselves. Hahahahahahaha.

Happy holidays, you all.

Merry Christmas!

23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I got a hankerin’ for some Irish.  

CD5D0C08-8DAC-4C58-870A-2212E96B9A11.jpeg

How'd ya like it?  Been thinking about that one.

Picked up some Redbreast 12 Yr a few days ago. Haven't broken the seal yet and may not until 2023 (finishing off a couple bourbons first).

• I like it 2

It was my turn to get the next round for our group on New Year's Eve.  I had started my daughter-in-law on Redbreast 12 already.  They had the 15yo sitting next to the 12 so I picked the 15yo for my round.  It was a huge hit! 

• I like it 3

For some in Puerto Rico, Three Kings Day (this past Friday) is a bigger deal than Christmas.  Took some Irish over to a friend's house...he prefers Scotch & Irish over bourbon most of the time.  But we remain friends anyway.  

We thought the Red Spot the best, hands down.  Will try 'em blind next time.

Spots.jpg

• I like it 2

Nikka From the Barrel while watching “Notting Hill” with Mrssmokinjoe.  

82AAA9AC-5A5A-4115-BA28-64DDEAD428A0.jpeg

• I like it 4

I was with a client and his son last week and he treated me to this incredible lineup. 
The Glen Spey and the Brora particularly stood out. 

66F8787F-16F5-4E33-86B3-6AF39FEAEBC1.jpeg

61E60D2B-A7BB-43AC-A3BD-6AAB56F4F33E.jpeg

• I like it 5

Anyone know anything about this?  A client picked it up in 2018 at the distillery and figured I'd enjoy it, so he's bringing it to me this weekend.

Rye Down Under.jpeg

My desert island Scotch.

The cost of this one is all over the place...as "low" as $99.00 and as high as $136.00. 

Paid $99.99 for this one at a Va ABC store.

20230117_165035.jpg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Anyone know anything about this?  A client picked it up in 2018 at the distillery and figured I'd enjoy it, so he's bringing it to me this weekend.

Rye Down Under.jpeg

Belgrove is awesome stuff!

It's not distributed here so I've had to order online a few times, not cheap but worth it, a brilliant farm to bottle operation.

The story of the distillery and the mad proprietor/distiller Peter Bignell is worth a read. 

I became aware of them back when this story surfaced and had to check them out. www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35378882

This was my previous order.

I'd be very happy to have a bottle gifted!

20201020_161859.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

My desert island Scotch.

The cost of this one is all over the place...as "low" as $99.00 and as high as $136.00. 

Paid $99.99 for this one at a Va ABC store.

20230117_165035.jpg

I thought the prices of these was supposed to go up noticeably but I haven't seen that at all. It's been $99 by my for years.  Same with the Talisker 18.  Still trucking along in the $129 to $159 range. 

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I thought the prices of these was supposed to go up noticeably but I haven't seen that at all. It's been $99 by my for years.  Same with the Talisker 18.  Still trucking along in the $129 to $159 range. 

I heard the same.

I'm an Islay whore, and the cost for a couple of my "go-to's", ( Ardbeg, Laphroaig), have crept up a few bucks, but not as much as the Lagavulin, at least in our neck of the woods, (Baltimore metro area). 

3 hours ago, beasled said:

The story of the distillery and the mad proprietor/distiller Peter Bignell is worth a read. 

I became aware of them back when this story surfaced and had to check them out. www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35378882

This was my previous order.

I'd be very happy to have a bottle gifted!

Thanks for the info!  I like the sound of "mad distiller".  I will report back once I open it with a rye-loving friend of mine.

20 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Thanks for the info!  I like the sound of "mad distiller".  I will report back once I open it with a rye-loving friend of mine.

Hope you enjoy, let us know what you think. They're more akin to single malts than the 'typical' ryes of Kentucky/MGP, but delicious nonetheless. 

• I like it 1

Octomore /2_140 is really exceptional - I'm not always a huge Islay guy, but this one is hitting the spot, maybe because I've just been on a scotch kick lately

• I like it 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:44 PM, jvd99 said:

Octomore /2_140 is really exceptional - I'm not always a huge Islay guy, but this one is hitting the spot, maybe because I've just been on a scotch kick lately

Local PBS station, WETA, ran "The Water of Life" last night which turned out to be a 1.5 hour documentary/advert/paean about Bruichladdich which makes Octomore (really heavy peat), Port Charlotte (regular peat), and the series of Bruichladdich releases (almost no peat).  Brief shots of the Ardmore and Lagavulin distilleries from far away did appear, but most of the show featured Jim McEwan talking about his leaving Bowmore and becoming master distiller at Bruich.  His bit on how Octomore came about was fascinating.  Josh Peters of "The Whiskey Jug" blog, was one of the interviewees.

Wife and I sipped on DIageo's Lagavulin 16 while watching.  Nosed the glasses this AM - still can smell the Lag peat.  Makes me want to refill the glasses and have them for breakfast.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.