What Foreign Whiskey Are You Drinking 2023

jvd99

Feeling like a little Port this afternoon.  

6A5595E9-9F29-4BFE-9C22-D486A6B8850E.jpeg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Feeling like a little Port this afternoon.  

6A5595E9-9F29-4BFE-9C22-D486A6B8850E.jpeg

Wow, that’s certainly an older bottle! How does it compare to the current Quinta Ruban?

19 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow, that’s certainly an older bottle! How does it compare to the current Quinta Ruban?

It’s been awhile since I’ve had the QR, but as I remember, the QR is a little sweeter, while this bottle is heavier on the palate.  I 

• I like it 1

On 4/1/2023 at 8:26 PM, lcpfratn said:

It's what the QR wants to be.  The sweetness that Joe references, to me, shows too heavy of a hand with the port finishing as Glenmo has scaled up production. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, BigRich said:

It's what the QR wants to be.  The sweetness that Joe references, to me, shows too heavy of a hand with the port finishing as Glenmo has scaled up production. 

That shouldn’t surprise me. Many/most of the port and sherry casks used these days for finishing are “seasoned” casks, which I think usually means adding port or sherry to a used bourbon barrel, letting it sit for awhile, and then dumping most (but I doubt all) of the liquid into the next barrel to “season”.

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Top 5 Whiskey for me me, to finish the evening.  Redbreast 12 Cask Strength is just so gorgeous.  

9D84D713-B66A-4A92-B393-7EDE1CC47E21.jpeg

• I like it 7

On 4/10/2023 at 4:32 PM, lcpfratn said:

That shouldn’t surprise me. Many/most of the port and sherry casks used these days for finishing are “seasoned” casks, which I think usually means adding port or sherry to a used bourbon barrel, letting it sit for awhile, and then dumping most (but I doubt all) of the liquid into the next barrel to “season”.

That sounds like a bean counter's decision, not an artistic decision. 

I try and stay away from single malts that are "finished," not all the time, but most of the time 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I’m posting in this forum. Don’t no one faint. 🤯 Meeting of our local bourbon cigar group tonight. One guy was recently in the Dominican Republic for a family vacation. He bought a few bottles of rum while there. Tonight he brought a nice sample of a rum aged in bourbon barrels to share with the group. Dayum!  😋

Recent pick up.  Enjoying an end of night Springbank 10.  The nose is Glorious!  Clean.  Fresh.  Crisp linen.  Light peat.  Perfect combo.  

7D1D3E51-D243-4228-B296-F77CBEBE18C0.jpeg

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Recent pick up.  Enjoying an end of night Springbank 10.  The nose is Glorious!  Clean.  Fresh.  Crisp linen.  Light peat.  Perfect combo.  

7D1D3E51-D243-4228-B296-F77CBEBE18C0.jpeg

Solid choice. These just started showing up again, but with a price increase and some gouging here and there. Top 3 10 year olds for me are Ardbeg, Laphroiag and Springbank

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Top 3 10 year olds for me are Ardbeg, Laphroiag and Springbank

Same

• 3 weeks later...

Lagavulin 11 year Ron Offerman series.

This one was finished for 4 months in a Guiness Stout cask. I'm not one for finished whiskey but, as an Islay whiskey whore & a Guinness fan, I love it!

I'm drinking it with a Guinness Stout. They really compliment each other paired with a Nicaraguan overrun, and the US Open, it's making for a great night on the back porch 😉

20230617_215443.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Spelling...

On 5/2/2023 at 8:43 PM, smokinjoe said:

Top 5 Whiskey for me me, to finish the evening.  Redbreast 12 Cask Strength is just so gorgeous.  

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Redbreast Kentucky Oak for my first pour tonight. 

12CS sounded good, especially after my palate warmed up with the RBKO. 

RB12CS in my glass for my second pour.  This might be the perfect summer whiskey...

On 6/17/2023 at 8:53 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Lagavulin 11 year Ron Offerman series.

This one was finished for 4 months in a Guiness Stout cask. I'm not one for finished whiskey but, as an Islay whiskey whore & a Guinness fan, I love it!

I'm drinking it with a Guinness Stout. They really compliment each other paired with a Nicaraguan overrun, and the US Open, it's making for a great night on the back porch 😉

20230617_215443.jpg

I love a good Lag, but that combo just doesn't sound right to me. It's probably good, but not for me, I'm sure

I did buy a new Binny's 11 year ex-bourbon cask strength Duncan Taylor Lag barrel pick. That one went into the bunker for future consumption as I have way too many Islays open right now

• I like it 1

I love the Lagavulins, too.  The 16yo is in my Top 5 all time favorite whiskies of any type.  I do tend to slow down on Islays during the warmer months, though.  Not sure if this a result of a psychological reason, or if the smoke and peat really doesn’t work for me then.  You guys do similar?  Or, hit them consistently, regardless of season?

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I love the Lagavulins, too.  The 16yo is in my Top 5 all time favorite whiskies of any type.  I do tend to slow down on Islays during the warmer months, though.  Not sure if this a result of a psychological reason, or if the smoke and peat really doesn’t work for me then.  You guys do similar?  Or, hit them consistently, regardless of season?

The 16's just hit the shelves around here.

I'm an indiscriminate drinker, all kinds for all seasons

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I love a good Lag, but that combo just doesn't sound right to me. It's probably good, but not for me, I'm sure

I did buy a new Binny's 11 year ex-bourbon cask strength Duncan Taylor Lag barrel pick. That one went into the bunker for future consumption as I have way too many Islays open right now

I respect that and thought the same thing, until I tried it.    With a few exceptions, I'm not a fan of finished whiskey, as whatever barrel they're finished in tend to overwhelm the base spirit.    This one was aged for 4 months, Guinness barrels and it's subtle.   

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Same here, on all counts.     I'll have the occasional pour, during the summer months, but it's few and far between those pours.

• I like it 1

Opened a new bottle of Glenmo Original.  Inexpensive but satisfying pour and I like it during the summer months.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Opened two bottles with a Scotch-loving friend. Very good, I prefer this style to peaty, smoky Islays.

Glendronach.jpg

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Opened two bottles with a Scotch-loving friend. Very good, I prefer this style to peaty, smoky Islays.

Glendronach.jpg

Good call.  I just picked up an 18 this week myself which I have not opened yet.  I really like the 15 yr too.  Looking forward to trying the 18 to see how it stacks up to the 15.  I've never had the 21 before.. but some day!

• I like it 1

On 7/9/2023 at 9:52 PM, Kepler said:

Powers John's Lane 12 yr while I'm watching my DVR recording of the British GP.

That's a great pour!

I gained an appreciation for Irish whiskey, (and Guinness stout), on a trip to Ireland and "discovered" Powers over there.

I tried a lot of them and kept circling back to the Powers Gold, which is their cheapest offering.   I enjoyed the John's Lane too.   

Next time I see a bottle, I'll snag one.  Ordinarily, the $65.00 price tag would give me pause but I rarely drink it, so I have no problem with that.