What Foreign Whiskey Are You Drinking 2023

jvd99

9 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

My open foreign cabinet…drinking the Hakushu I picked up today 

IMG_6160.jpeg

Can you recommend a Japanese whiskey? I don't know anything about them, and have never tried any.

I'm an Islay whiskey whore, but I also enjoy the occasional pour Oban and Balblair.

14 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Can you recommend a Japanese whiskey? I don't know anything about them, and have never tried any.

I'm an Islay whiskey whore, but I also enjoy the occasional pour Oban and Balblair.

I’ll offer some comments on the ones I have open or have experience with. 

Definitely try the Nikka From the Barrel - it’s a blend, cask strength, affordable and fairly easy to find. I think most people would say to try this first. 

I also like the Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey (coffey refers to the kind of Scottish still, not a cup of Joe). It’s easy to find and not too expensive

If you want spend more money, the Yamakazi 12 is as good as a 12 year whiskey gets, but it’s gotten ridiculously expensive in the last few years - like $180. Not really worth it for most people - try it in a bar

I’d pass on the Hakushu 12 year, the Yamakazi is much better IMO

Both Yamakazi and Hakushu are Suntory products, the Y being unpeated and matured more in sherry casks while the H is lightly pleated and aged in virgin American oak, although I don’t get much peat from it to the point I can barely detect it. 

Enjoy

• I like it 1

SO the question I have is can you really count Pendleton as a Foreign whiskey.  My understanding is that it is a Canadian Rye made in Alberta but brought across the border and bottled in the US.  I have always considered it a Canadian Whiskey but for this forum, how do we classify it?  where it was distilled or where it was bottled/location of company selling it.

42 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

SO the question I have is can you really count Pendleton as a Foreign whiskey.  My understanding is that it is a Canadian Rye made in Alberta but brought across the border and bottled in the US.  I have always considered it a Canadian Whiskey but for this forum, how do we classify it?  where it was distilled or where it was bottled/location of company selling it.

Personally, I put Canadian rye in the basket with bourbon and domestically produced rye. There's really not a lot of distinction where it needs to separated into this sub-forum

Foreign whisky for me is anything produced across the pond or in Asia

Just my two cents though

3 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I’ll offer some comments on the ones I have open or have experience with. 

Definitely try the Nikka From the Barrel - it’s a blend, cask strength, affordable and fairly easy to find. I think most people would say to try this first. 

I also like the Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey (coffey refers to the kind of Scottish still, not a cup of Joe). It’s easy to find and not too expensive

If you want spend more money, the Yamakazi 12 is as good as a 12 year whiskey gets, but it’s gotten ridiculously expensive in the last few years - like $180. Not really worth it for most people - try it in a bar

I’d pass on the Hakushu 12 year, the Yamakazi is much better IMO

Both Yamakazi and Hakushu are Suntory products, the Y being unpeated and matured more in sherry casks while the H is lightly pleated and aged in virgin American oak, although I don’t get much peat from it to the point I can barely detect it. 

Enjoy

Much appreciated!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

4 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Personally, I put Canadian rye in the basket with bourbon and domestically produced rye. There's really not a lot of distinction where it needs to separated into this sub-forum

Just my two cents though

I don't know anything about Pendleton but I basically agree that I put Canadian rye in the same category of American rye.  Not in the foreign whisky thread.  There probably has been a Canadian whisky thread but probably not enough traffic to justify it anymore.  Also just my 2 cents. 

Canadian Whiskey is not American Whiskey.  Each, has its own specific distinct and regulated methods of production.  They should be separated.  To not separate, in favor of including Canadian whiskies under any American whiskey umbrella is an injustice to the long, rich, and storied history of Canadian whiskey producers.  

Sure, it's very different from a product perspective.  But if you posted in an exclusively Canadian thread, the thread in 2023 traffic would probably be archived before even 10 posts were made.  So where do we post it?  Doesn't belong with Scotch, Japanese and Irish, which are all malt based.  It fits more with American, no?

I think it fits easily and correctly in the foreign whiskey section.  

Edited by smokinjoe

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I think it fits easily and correctly in the foreign whiskey section.  

This is the way....

On 11/17/2023 at 10:51 AM, jvd99 said:

Just my two cents though

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

This is the way....

Geeze make up your mind already 😃

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Geeze make up your mind already 😃

My opinion doesn’t count, if the mods think it should separated, fine by me 👍

29 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

My opinion doesn’t count, if the mods think it should separated, fine by me 👍

Ahhh.  No, your opinion definitely counts.  Everyone's opinion counts.  I, for one, will continue to post Canadian rye whiskey in the regular rye whisky thread (American rye whiskey is the only thread that is actually being used regularly).  I mean, nobody cares.  And rye fans will understand.  Honestly if we were going to update the site, I'd vote to get rid of national threads.  Have it by category:  Bourbon, Rye, Malt, etc.  Fans of American Malt would have more in common with posts about Scotch and Japanese malt whisky, etc....

Anyway, no big deal either way

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing up the Thanksgiving Holiday with a Compass Box Enlightenment.  

179B491F-5E20-449A-AF3A-78C60B71309B.jpeg

• I like it 2

GlenAllachie 12 year, a "happy hour" time pour at home.  

GlenAllachie 12 is in my wheelhouse.  This one has earned a place on my bar as a "staple" whisky (meaning, a bottle that I will almost always have open on my bar). I don't take this lightly because I have probably five times as many different bottles available in the bunker as I have spots open on my two bars, lol (upstairs and downstairs bars). 

This whisky offers a great combination of price/value and quality.  I consider myself to be basically a bourbon drinker, so I may describe things through the lens of a bourbon man.  With that in mind, I'll say that, for me, Glenallachie 12 is my "WT101" of single malts.  I'm sure that seasoned Scotch drinkers have different opinions on that though.

• I like it 1

Started with 21 ye Clynlesh, then Springbank 10 and then….

Oh dang!!! This is one powerful dram! I can smell this across the room…just opened and first pour

IMG_6239.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

GlenAllachie 12 year, a "happy hour" time pour at home.  

GlenAllachie 12 is in my wheelhouse.  This one has earned a place on my bar as a "staple" whisky (meaning, a bottle that I will almost always have open on my bar). I don't take this lightly because I have probably five times as many different bottles available in the bunker as I have spots open on my two bars, lol (upstairs and downstairs bars). 

This whisky offers a great combination of price/value and quality.  I consider myself to be basically a bourbon drinker, so I may describe things through the lens of a bourbon man.  With that in mind, I'll say that, for me, Glenallachie 12 is my "WT101" of single malts.  I'm sure that seasoned Scotch drinkers have different opinions on that though.

I’m pretty sure I saw a holiday sample pack of Glenallachi, think I’ll pick one up, never tried it before

4 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I’m pretty sure I saw a holiday sample pack of Glenallachi, think I’ll pick one up, never tried it before

Good idea.  But keep in mind it'll be nothing like that Octomore! 

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Good idea.  But keep in mind it'll be nothing like that Octomore! 

I like everything!

• I like it 1

I tried something new to me - Grant's Triple Wood.  At first taste, a sweetness like honey, but not cloying, then a slight citrus note and maybe a touch of barrel.  I feel I'll get more out of it over time.  It's not a peat or smoke bomb.  It's a pleasant enough whisky, no off flavors. 

• I like it 1

Opened up a heavy hitter from the bunker - got this one earlier this year at 15% off - it's really good - reminds my of nicely aged Macallans from years ago

IMG_6256.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Most Irish whiskey lasts for years around here....I think that I've only had this one for a couple months. Hmmm...

20231215_192345.jpg

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Most Irish whiskey lasts for years around here....I think that I've only had this one for a couple months. Hmmm...

20231215_192345.jpg

Good work there!  👍

• I like it 1