What Foreign Whiskey Are You Drinking 2023

jvd99

On 12/4/2023 at 6:37 PM, jvd99 said:

Opened up a heavy hitter from the bunker - got this one earlier this year at 15% off - it's really good - reminds my of nicely aged Macallans from years ago

IMG_6256.jpeg

Wow!  That looks fantastic. 🤤

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Good work there!  👍

Thanks! 

If memory serves, I picked this bottle up on your recommendation. 

Sláinte! 🥃

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Compass Box The Spaniard after dinner, tonight.

0B9DEAA3-38C6-4EE6-A100-0AFCBBC0F0BC.jpeg

How is the Spaniard? I hadn’t pulled the trigger on one, but they’re still around 

12 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

How is the Spaniard? I hadn’t pulled the trigger on one, but they’re still around 

I really like it as an after dinner pour.  It’s almost dessert like.  Mrssmokinjoe made some chocolate cookies with a cherry center for Christmas , and it paired very well tonight!  I definitely recommend it.  The reason I went with it, is that I saw a bottle in a shop on Friday, and figured I’d rekindle my memories of it.  

• I like it 1

Found this a few years ago, it’s a 35 year old blend of Speyside, Highland and grain, 46 ABV, aged in sherry casks. It was cheap for a 35 yo whiskey, like not much more than $125. Cracked it open tonight and it’s OK. First sip I thought maybe Macallan 18ish, but really it’s more akin to Macallan 12. Definitely doesn’t taste like 35 yo Macallan, but you get what you pay for. 

IMG_6286.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 12/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, jvd99 said:

Finished Compass Box Peat Monster LE Cask Strength, replaced with Ardbeg 19

IMG_6284.jpeg

I love the 19 year.

Mrs. Skinsfan gifted  me a bottle a couple years ago and I've been nursing it along.

It will be in the "Empty Bottle Support Group" thread soon😑

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love the 19 year.

Mrs. Skinsfan gifted  me a bottle a couple years ago and I've been nursing it along.

It will be in the "Empty Bottle Support Group" thread soon😑

I picked up a couple of these based on your posts about it - doesn't disappoint 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I'm glad the you like them.   I'd feel bad if someone bought $250.00 whiskey on my recommendation, and didn't like it.

I just took a peek at the bottle....I have more left than I thought...almost half.     Bourbon & rye are my libations of choice but I'm a certified Islay whiskey whore.   I think I have ~ 10 bottles of Scotch, give or take, and the Ardbeg 19 year is my favorite....followed closely by the Lag 16 & 11.   

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Bourbon & rye are my libations of choice but I'm a certified Islay whiskey whore.   I think I have ~ 10 bottles of Scotch, give or take, and the Ardbeg 19 year is my favorite....followed closely by the Lag 16 & 11.   

15 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I'm just curious so feel free to ignore my question if you don't want to answer.  Are any of you guys smokers (or ever been smokers)?  Reason I ask is I really dig many non-peated scotches but some of the heavy Islays leave smoke flavors in my mouth the next morning, which I hate (even if I enjoyed the drinking experience when I'm sipping the scotch).  I have a really low tolerance for cigarette smoke, ... so much so that I simply can't stand being around it in closed spaces, nor can I tolerate any objects in my house that have the smell of cigarette smoke.

Its probably a dumb question on my part, but I am curious how much of  a connection there is to what kind of whiskies we all prefer.

• I like it 1

I gave up the smoking years ago.

But since you mention it, there's a whisky called For Peat's Sake.  Last time I was sipping it, I got a similar sensation to back in the day, drinking and smoking at the same time.  It also reminds me of a campfire.

Famous Grouse has a different smoky note in the profile.  It reminds me of cooking and eating hot dogs.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm just curious so feel free to ignore my question if you don't want to answer.  Are any of you guys smokers (or ever been smokers)?  Reason I ask is I really dig many non-peated scotches but some of the heavy Islays leave smoke flavors in my mouth the next morning, which I hate (even if I enjoyed the drinking experience when I'm sipping the scotch).  I have a really low tolerance for cigarette smoke, ... so much so that I simply can't stand being around it in closed spaces, nor can I tolerate any objects in my house that have the smell of cigarette smoke.

Its probably a dumb question on my part, but I am curious how much of  a connection there is to what kind of whiskies we all prefer.

Hmmmm......never gave that much thought.

I gave up smoking cigarettes back in the late 80's.    I've never noticed a smoke flavor in my mouth the next morning after drinking them.   I do notice that, for whatever reason, a heavily peated Islay whiskey gives me a stronger "Kentucky Hug" than most bourbon and ryes, regardless of the proof.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

I don't equate Islay smells or flavors to actual smoke. It can remind me of smoke, or a fire, BBQ etc. from time to time, but I've never felt like ive had a cigar or cig afterwards.

18 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Hmmmm......never gave that much thought.

I gave up smoking cigarettes back in the late 80's.    I've never noticed a smoke flavor in my mouth the next morning after drinking them.   I do notice that, for whatever reason, a heavily peated Islay whiskey gives me a stronger "Kentucky Hug" than most bourbon and ryes, regardless of the proof.

12 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I don't equate Islay smells or flavors to actual smoke. It can remind me of smoke, or a fire, BBQ etc. from time to time, but I've never felt like ive had a cigar or cig afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback.  The morning aftertaste only happened to me once but made a strong impression on me. I'll have to give it another shot sometime.  And maybe change my toothpaste brand or mouthwash, hehe 😁 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

had world's first battle of sauternes finished whisky, with a proper 83 vintage sauternes for comparison, The Harpy was the clear winner, but all were tasty.

20231231_230748.jpg

• I like it 1

Only recently discovered the GlenAllachie 15 and have been gravitating towards it more so than any of my other Scotch whisky.  Super dark colors, a Sherry bomb, and a pretty good value in my opinion.

IMG_5243.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 1/4/2024 at 12:57 PM, NDN98 said:

Only recently discovered the GlenAllachie 15 and have been gravitating towards it more so than any of my other Scotch whisky.  Super dark colors, a Sherry bomb, and a pretty good value in my opinion.

IMG_5243.jpeg

I love the 15 👍.  And the 12 is almost as good and a lower price

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

This one is a gem! Very nice. Given prices from the big boys on OB 30 year olds are prohibitive, this one is still available around me for at retail price which is not bad in the current climate

IMG_6700.jpeg