What Foreign Whiskey Are You Drinking 2023

jvd99

On 7/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

That's a great pour!

I gained an appreciation for Irish whiskey, (and Guinness stout), on a trip to Ireland and "discovered" Powers over there.

I tried a lot of them and kept circling back to the Powers Gold, which is their cheapest offering.   I enjoyed the John's Lane too.   

Next time I see a bottle, I'll snag one.  Ordinarily, the $65.00 price tag would give me pause but I rarely drink it, so I have no problem with that.

Irish whiskey prices are skyrocketing.  $65 isn't cheap but it won't buy a much better Irish than the John's Lane 12.

• I like it 2

The new Laphroig Cairdeas came out, finished in Mediera and white port, anyone tried it?

I had pours of a Teeling NAS cask strength SiB pot still store pick and now the Redbreast Lustau.   I really love the Lustau. 

• I like it 2

I also had a short pour of RB 12CS which was fantastic as always. 

Powers John's Lane in my glass now.  This is hitting the spot so well, I will probably stick with this for the rest of the evening.  In my blind sbs, the Yellow Spot beat it (barely), but at the current pricing I don't see myself buying another Yellow Spot when I can just buy the John's Lane 12 for under $60.  It's an absolute no-brainer.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of what I've been drinking lately.  My favorite of these is the one in the middle.  Really like the oak notes on this one, unique among single malts I've tried.  I liked it enough to pick up a backup bottle.

20230730_171839.thumb.jpg.4c8dee2419f938883b66875500ba509d.jpg

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

End of the day pour of Glenlivet 12 yr “Illicit Still”.  

50854D7A-ADEC-4E47-B585-E0AC098D7BFD.jpeg

• I like it 2

Starting the weekend with what has become a favorite. Granted, I know very little about Scotch, so "favorites" may be fleeting.

Glendronach 18.jpg

• I like it 1

Lag 16 in the glass.

I took a flask of it for an overnight trip to Gettysburg,  but ended up drinking Rebel 100 instead😏

I'm too lazy to pour it back in the bottle,  and it is perfect  weather for the back porch, Scotch and a cigar...

20230929_180015.jpg

• I like it 1

Nikka From the Barrel, to finish up the evening.

C87B0A55-4E30-454E-A349-333A868A93A0.jpeg

• I like it 1

Having a pour of Glenallachie 12 alongside the Bunnahhabhain 12 that I just cracked open. Impromptu sbs.  They are both excellent.  The Bunna 12 has more complexity and depth. The Glenallachie is just a damn sherry flavor bomb that keeps you coming back for more.  Both are staples for the bar.

No need for a new thread, just an interesting blurb on Diageo's closed distilleries from Serge at whiskyfun.com

"Port Ellen wasn't that bad, after all

There has always been a subset of whisky enthusiasts who used to believe, and perhaps still believe, that the distilleries closed by Diageo's predecessors in 1983 or slightly later (Port Ellen, Banff, Brora, Coleburn, Convalmore, Glenesk, Glenlochy, Glenury, Millburn, North Port, Glen Mhor, St. Magdalene and a few others) due to a global overcapacity linked to a drop in world demand, were chosen because the quality of their whiskies was inferior to others. Some even claimed that Port Ellen, for instance, was inferior to Lagavulin and Coal Ila, with its closure and almost complete demolition by its owners as shining evidence. But in reality, the reasons were more tied, after the oil crisis, to production and modernisation costs as well as to poor expansion possibilities if ever needed (land, access, environmental issues). Because the older and smaller the distilleries, the lower the yields and thus the higher the production costs! In a way, one could almost claim that the intrinsic quality of the malts produced by these antique distilleries was actually superior to others. After all, the best soups are made slowly, in old pots. And by the way, why would Diageo go to such lengths to replicate as precisely as possible the malts from the old distillery in the brand new Port Ellen, if its malts had been 'less good than others'? Peace!"

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 9:31 PM, Kepler said:

Irish whiskey prices are skyrocketing.  $65 isn't cheap but it won't buy a much better Irish than the John's Lane 12.

I finally snagged one, on sale, of course.😉

I like the Gold, but the John's Lane is crazy good.

I can see this being a staple on the bar.

Good call, for both quality and price.

20231111_224706.jpg

• I like it 1

I finished off a very good 12y Linkwood SB. For a fairly young Scotch, it drank way above its age. Very good. 
88574963-2542-4223-A4C0-B886313D7B9B.thumb.jpeg.c863a515465a73c6277a08871efb6941.jpeg

• I like it 1

This was a christmas gift from about 5 years ago. I am not normally a Canadian Fan as my only other experience with Canadian Whiskey is CR.

This was  a very nice drink.  Had a strong caramel apple note.  The leather label on the bottle was very different and made it different.

IMG_3413.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 11/11/2023 at 9:58 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I finally snagged one, on sale, of course.😉

I like the Gold, but the John's Lane is crazy good.

I can see this being a staple on the bar.

Good call, for both quality and price.

20231111_224706.jpg

I'm glad you like it.  I really like it a lot too.  I don't take credit for the recommendation; I learned about that one right here from other SBers' excellent recommendation. Thanks SBers!

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

43 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'm glad you like it.  I really like it a lot too.  I don't take credit for the recommendation; I learned about that one right here from other SBers' excellent recommendation. Thanks SBers!

Thanks!

SB is a treasure trove of great information.