Your Top 3 Bourbon Pours and Repeat Purchases

smokinjoe

What 3 bourbons have you been drinking over the last several months that are hitting your sweet spot so well that you keep repurchasing it regularly.  

My own, in no order of preference:

Jack Daniel’s Bonded

Wild Turkey 101

Cooper’s Craft 100

Mind you, my (and yours) rotation is entirely evolving and without comparisons to any previous statements of preferences!  😁

• I like it 3

Regular ol' MM

OF86

Doorly's 12 year rum (I realize it's not a bourbon, but it's definitely been in my wheel house lately)

Another that's been hitting the spot but due to price I don't go through it as quickly as others, OF1910

• I like it 1

Mattie Gladden-  Only 4 years old but great taste and mouthfeel

MM 101. The Samuels family always delivers and this proof seems to hit the spot

Rossville Rye Cask Strength 95/5 mash bill-  the spice and proof make a good dram (not technically bourbon but close;})

FR 2022 LE (got several when they got in stores here in EU)

Blanton's SFTB (get lucky sometimes with prices that would make US folks jealous)

WTRB Batch WT-03-RB from 2003-2013, so not the golden label one but before that. Loved it so much that I did a rebuy at an auction. The current one is really good, but that one has more dense flavors in my view.

• I like it 1

Old Forester Signature (just a good honest bourbon)

JD Single Barrel Rye 

WT 101 (A grown man's bourbon)

• I like it 1

Sagamore Spirits Barrel Select Rye 

Manatawney Still Works Select (4-grain malt whiskey) 

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (on those very rare occasions when I can find it)

Still on the lookout for the elusive Pikesville.   

• I like it 1

KC12 - don't like to fall below a half case

George Remus - the daily goto

OF100 - 'cause it's good neat & my cocktail mixer of choice

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

Sagamore Spirits Barrel Select Rye 

Manatawney Still Works Select (4-grain malt whiskey) 

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (on those very rare occasions when I can find it)

Still on the lookout for the elusive Pikesville.   

We're lousy with Kentucky Spirit here lately, but at $75 and up, it's a hard pass for me. Probably why they're sitting on the shelf. I was able to pick up few at the ABC store last summer for around $35. I can't believe they've doubled in price in a year. I'm a buyer at $35.

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

[Snip some stuff]

Mind you, my (and yours) rotation is entirely evolving and without comparisons to any previous statements of preferences!  😁

Totally agree on an evolving rotation.  AND on ignoring any lists I've posted before.:ph34r:

My recent three -  OGD BIB (OF COURSE!), VOB BIB, and JD BIB.  Three weeks ago, MM101 was ahead of the JD and VOB which were unopened at the time, and a HH 6YR BIB was ahead of the MM.

At $43 for the family size bottle, OF 100 is the clear leader for me. Battling it out for second are WT 101, EW BIB, Booker’s and JD SiB BP. There’s also a fair bit of Bajan rum as well as tequila consumed in my house. 👍🏼 

• I like it 2

In alphabetical order:
#1. Buffalo Trace

#2. Maker’s Mark

#3. Weller Special Reserve  🤞 If and when I can find it at a reasonable price. 🙄

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

We're lousy with Kentucky Spirit here lately, but at $75 and up, it's a hard pass for me. Probably why they're sitting on the shelf. I was able to pick up few at the ABC store last summer for around $35. I can't believe they've doubled in price in a year. I'm a buyer at $35.

I see WTKS only about twice a year in these parts,  always in Jersey, never in Pennsy.   When I do see it, it's about $65, considerably more than a few years ago,  when the price was comparable to Rare Breed.  

I pay the price because I just gotta.   Wild Turkey is the best bourbon,  101 is the best, signature proof for Wild Turkey,  and WTKS is the single barrel expression of the best bourbon at its ideal proof.   And the damn things are invariably great.

I suspect that WT well knows that there are idiots like me out there who swallow willingly  and pony up.   The saving grace is that Pennsylvania apparently doesn't know it,  so it is never stocked and remains a rare treat for me.

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, bayouredd said:

KC12 - don't like to fall below a half case

George Remus - the daily goto

OF100 - 'cause it's good neat & my cocktail mixer of choice

All excellent choices.  My favorite list so far.    

23 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Regular ol' MM

OF86

Doorly's 12 year rum (I realize it's not a bourbon, but it's definitely been in my wheel house lately)

Another that's been hitting the spot but due to price I don't go through it as quickly as others, OF1910

Doorlys 12 is the WT 101 of rum.   

• I like it 1

My three are:

OF100

FRSmB

OGD BIB

and ECBP whenever I can find it. (Oops that’s four)

Great topic, @smokinjoe!

Sure, I can list bottles like ECBP, Sazerac, etc. that I love but that aren't always available.  But, if I catch your drift, I believe you are referring to what we can walk into the store and buy most of the time.

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rye 101

Knob Creek 9 Year

I can find a bottle anytime I want it.

• I like it 3

Putting aside group barrel picks, my three most purchased are: Four Roses PS, Russell's Reserve SiB PS, and Wild Turkey 101. Limiting it to easily available stuff, my three most frequent buys would be Wild Turkey 101, Maker's Mark, and Four Roses SmB.

Relatedly, I have noted that the following brands are good values and actually available (and they make up nearly all of my non-pick "shelf" purchases):

Four Roses

Wild Turkey

Russell's Reserve

Old Forester

Maker's Mark

Bowman

That last one may only apply here in Virginia though. While there are limited versions of these brands that are nearly impossible to find, they all have a nice range of products that are fairly priced and widely available.

• I like it 1

Tie between WT101 and OF100

Four Roses standard single barrel

RRSiB - the shelf version.

• I like it 1

My recent list would be:

VOB 100

Four Roses SB

WT101

I could also add the WT101 Rye.  That has been showing up alot here lately.  Good for cocktails and I like it just fine neat.

• I like it 1

Uh, it has been 29 hours and some minutes since I posted last on this thread.  Can I go again?:rolleyes::wub:

A MM BP somewhere around 104 proof (snuck while making a peach gin freeze)

WT 101 KSBW (because other posters mentioned it, and I like it so NEEDED some)

VOB 100 (the bottle is almost empty and my wife told me I have too many open bottles on the dining room floor in the corner.  Blame HER for this reposting.  I'm drinking as fast as I can!)B)🙄

• I like it 2