Your Top 3 Bourbon Pours and Repeat Purchases

smokinjoe

On 8/19/2023 at 1:45 PM, Grady330 said:

What does the SFTB taste like?? 

I'm not very good at descriptions just yet, though slowly improving. Next time I pour a glass I'll...give it a, umm, shot. "Lots of flavor, on the sweet side, coats the mouth, drinks a bit hot, worth it" probably isn't super specific! I do like it enough that I think I could recognize blind. I'll probably be put to the test and fail, now that I wrote that!

I am reading the book Cork Dorks...it describes what sommeliers must go through to actually be able to detect "notes of peach and creme brulee, etc.". Strikes me as hellish. Truly, a fascinating book that describes a fascinating subculture, one to which I shall never belong but always respect.

• I like it 1

In our house, we usually sip on 5 - 10 things at any given time.  We always have these on hand:

WTRB - so hard to beat this flavor profile and proof at an under $50 price point

WT 101 Bourbon and Rye - seems to be a popular choice for good reason

EW Black and White Label - always solid and reliable 

Cheers,

Scott

• I like it 2

Sometimes it is interesting to review your buying and drinking habits after some period of time.  I replied in this thread on June 13.  The following were my picks.  

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rye 101

Knob Creek 9 Year

In retrospect, I should now change my picks to the following order:

Knob Creek 9 Year

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rye 101

😃😜😎

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Without thought other than they’re what I want, I picked up Cooper’s Craft 100, WT 101, and JD Bonded in the last 2 weeks.  Looking back here, I’m still on the same train, apparently.  🤪.  OGD 114 seems to be getting into the cart regularly, too.  

• I like it 4

If nothing I am consistent, my top three remain KC 9 year, WT101, and WTR101 have remained the same over my last two postings in this thread.  However, similarly to @smokinjoe, I have been finding the occasional bottle of OGD114 in my shopping cart.  It disappeared in Indy for awhile but has been plentiful since last summer.  I recently had a conversation with another customer who was picking up a bottle of OGDBIB for $20.99, mind you.  We were laughing about how OGDBIB is $20.99 and OGD114 for $23.99 and the taters continue to pass on it for other ...ish. 

• I like it 3

OGD, WT101 and Mellow Corn all suck.  Dont buy any of them.  Not recommended for daily consumption, at all.   

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

OGD, WT101 and Mellow Corn all suck.  Dont buy any of them.  Not recommended for daily consumption, at all.   

Yeah! What he said! 🫨

Russell's Reserve single barrel is what I purchase the most frequently.  In my bunker I probably have about the same number of WT101, Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed bottles, but the majority of those were purchased quite awhile ago when I was, ahem, "hoarding" particular batches that I really liked.  I'm good there now, so I don't do that anymore.

But on average RRSiB is the bottle I'm most likely to put in my basket when I'm just wanting to grab something.  In fact, I just picked up another one this past week. 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Any mid shelf brands from the legacy distillers, especially the ones at or around 100 proof - no way.  😉

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

Any mid shelf brands from the legacy distillers, especially the ones at or around 100 proof - no way.  😉

If it is under $30, it is bottom shelf.  Just sayin.'

My favorites are Spirits Direct from Total Wine.  They are able to pick the honey barrels and offer them at a discount price.  That's how they got to be the largest and most successful liquor chain in the world. 

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

My favorites are Spirits Direct from Total Wine.  They are able to pick the honey barrels and offer them at a discount price.  That's how they got to be the largest and most successful liquor chain in the world. 

"You're killin' me, Smalls!"   🤣 🤣🤣

• I like it 5

On 2/18/2024 at 7:58 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Please tell me that my sarcasm detector is working today.  Please?

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nope. You’re on your own pal. I get myself in enough trouble as it is. 🤨

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Misdirection.  There only so many fish in the under $30 pond.  That's where I do my fishin.' 

There are literally 100s of very pretty bottles with fascinating stories out in the ocean of bourbon for the taters to track down.  My advice to newbies and taters is that you don't want to be a Cheap Bastard.  Drop the coin if you want to impress your family, friends, and neighbors.

• I like it 3

SO!  Here's a thread I don't remember.  Did I already post here?  WHO CARES!!??

My three - (1) OGD BIB, (2) whatever I grab in the dark of the dining room when I am thirsty but not picky, (3) uh, what's the question again?  Hitting the HH BIB 7YR so, again I DON'T CARE!!??

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

SO!  Here's a thread I don't remember.  Did I already post here?  WHO CARES!!??

My three - (1) OGD BIB, (2) whatever I grab in the dark of the dining room when I am thirsty but not picky, (3) uh, what's the question again?  Hitting the HH BIB 7YR so, again I DON'T CARE!!??

Harry, your forgot one!

(4) whichever bottle you stashed in your trashcan next to your chair

😀

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Misdirection.  There only so many fish in the under $30 pond.  That's where I do my fishin.' 

There are literally 100s of very pretty bottles with fascinating stories out in the ocean of bourbon for the taters to track down.  My advice to newbies and taters is that you don't want to be a Cheap Bastard.  Drop the coin if you want to impress your family, friends, and neighbors.

We fish in the same pond.....

• I like it 3

I have recently become a fan of  Evan Williams 1783. It's cheap and it's good. For someone like me that can no longer afford the more pricey drams, this is  pretty good.

• I like it 5

4 minutes ago, ebo said:

I have recently become a fan of  Evan Williams 1783. It's cheap and it's good. For someone like me that can no longer afford the more pricey drams, this is  pretty good.

It is good.  @PaulOturned me onto it.  Very underrated. 

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, ebo said:

I keep passing this one up, intending to pick up a bottle and restock.  Thinking about how quickly I went through the last one, it's a no-brainer. 

To me, it's similar to WT 101.  How long can they stay at their respective price points before the secret gets out?

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, ebo said:

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

It is good.  @PaulOturned me onto it.  Very underrated. 

Agreed.  Tastes about as good as current Elijah Craig NAS, and you can get a handle of 1783 for what a 750 of EC costs.

• I like it 3

36 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Agreed.  Tastes about as good as current Elijah Craig NAS, and you can get a handle of 1783 for what a 750 of EC costs.

If only they would give us 1783 NAS BP for $20.  I would be all in.  😀

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I keep passing this one up, intending to pick up a bottle and restock.  Thinking about how quickly I went through the last one, it's a no-brainer. 

To me, it's similar to WT 101.  How long can they stay at their respective price points before the secret gets out?

I believe the cost in my area is around $18.  I still prefer WT101 and OF100 in the sub-$25 price range but it EW1783 is solid and should be a bottle stock on every bar. 

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

If only they would give us 1783 NAS BP for $20.  I would be all in.  😀

Ahh, we can dream can't we! 😃

• I like it 1