Your Top 3 Bourbon Pours and Repeat Purchases

smokinjoe

13 hours ago, Thomm said:

I keep passing this one up, intending to pick up a bottle and restock.  Thinking about how quickly I went through the last one, it's a no-brainer. 

To me, it's similar to WT 101.  How long can they stay at their respective price points before the secret gets out?

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Agreed.  Tastes about as good as current Elijah Craig NAS, and you can get a handle of 1783 for what a 750 of EC costs.

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I believe the cost in my area is around $18.  I still prefer WT101 and OF100 in the sub-$25 price range but it EW1783 is solid and should be a bottle stock on every bar. 

I want to like it.  I really do.   I don't.      I bought a handle and gave it away.   

50 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I want to like it.  I really do.   I don't.      I bought a handle and gave it away.   

Was it the 86 proof round bottle or newer 90 proof flat sided bottle.

The 86 I thought was just blah.  One of the few times I know of, the rebranding was an improvement.  As long as they keep dumping some older barrels into the vat, I'm a customer.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

If only they would give us 1783 NAS BP for $20.  I would be all in.  😀

I'll tell you what I'd like to see.  Have Four Roses put together a standard batch of the Bourbon they bottle at 80 proof.  It contains all ten recipes, including at least a little extra aged stuff (so I have been told).

Here's the kicker - don't add any water or chill filter it.  Bottle it at whatever proof you get after all the barrels are dumped together.

I bet that would be awesome, and seems potentially so easy to do. 

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Was it the 86 proof round bottle or newer 90 proof flat sided bottle.

The 86 I thought was just blah.  One of the few times I know of, the rebranding was an improvement.  As long as they keep dumping some older barrels into the vat, I'm a customer.

The newer 90 proof version. 

I always give a bottle a few chances, figuring that palates change, bottles open up, etc... and  even tried a pour from a different bottle.   It's not bad, but it's just not in my wheelhouse.   As far as a budget bourbons go, I prefer the spiciness & higher proof of Fighting Cock

My son loves it, so it wasn't wasted. 

• I like it 2

as mentioned by many 

WT101

ECSB

FRSB

really can't go wrong with WT101.   That's my reference bourbon.  In order to get in the rotation it has to beet that for taste first then value.

For some reason my local WalMart had 1L bottles of EWBIB for $8.98 a bottle.   I bought a case and a half and passed along the deal to a few other friends that also like white label EW.  Went through the next month out of curiosity and the same bottle was listed at $24 for a 1L.  Then just before Christmas a large regional store about 2 hours away had a Christmas sale with ECSB at $32 for a 1.75.  Needless to say I bought a case.  Also the store had a “Secret Sale” spot on their website with Evan Williams 1783 for $15.99 for a 1.75.  I ordered a case of course.  When I picked it up they gave me the price but explained they made a mistake on their website and said they had to change it online.   So long story short, I am sipping Heaven Hill products all year with room to spare.  All are on my top 5 list and I have a slight smirk on my face like a small scale lottery winner.   

• I like it 6

Fighting Cock (drinking it neat and blending it with Dr. Pepper...don't judge me)

Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond (I'm doing a barrel pick of it at the end of this week and I'm trying to get the flavor profile down)

Maker's Mark Cask Strength 

48 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Fighting Cock (drinking it neat and blending it with Dr. Pepper...don't judge me)

Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond (I'm doing a barrel pick of it at the end of this week and I'm trying to get the flavor profile down)

Maker's Mark Cask Strength 

Are the HH BiB picks new? Never seen one of those before. And also, is it preferable to picking an EC SmB which is older and cheaper, if a slightly lower proof?

• I like it 1

I seem to have unwittingly been on an extended ride on the Bulleit train in recent months, as witnessed by yet another reloading of a family sized bottle yesterday.  Conversely, VOB 90 has taken a rest as it’s not available on my main liquor run line.  And while I like it very much, I can’t bring myself to say I’m going hunting for a $24 family sized bottle of whiskey…😁.  I’ll punch that ticket later, I guess.  I have to maintain some thread of dignity…🤣

• I like it 3

On 3/9/2024 at 7:30 AM, smokinjoe said:

I seem to have unwittingly been on an extended ride on the Bulleit train in recent months, as witnessed by yet another reloading of a family sized bottle yesterday.  Conversely, VOB 90 has taken a rest as it’s not available on my main liquor run line.  And while I like it very much, I can’t bring myself to say I’m going hunting for a $24 family sized bottle of whiskey…😁.  I’ll punch that ticket later, I guess.  I have to maintain some thread of dignity…🤣

The first time I went to the Sphere in Vegas I was fortunate enough to sit in a client's suite that had food and drinks provided. It was only the second night being open so they were still working out kinks such as the woman in charge of pouring your drinks for you. Bulleit was the only bourbon they had and she poured it into a stemless wine glass with the same fill level as a glass of wine. I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. It tasted good!

• I like it 6

On 3/5/2024 at 12:03 PM, Jazz June said:

Are the HH BiB picks new? Never seen one of those before. And also, is it preferable to picking an EC SmB which is older and cheaper, if a slightly lower proof?

HH offered up two barrels for charity last year...one sold at auction during the Master Distillers Auction during the KBF in support of the Oscar Getz whiskey museum (which is the one my group purchased) and one donated to a humance society who raffled it off.  They may add HHSIB to their single barrel program this year.  Regarding if EC might be the better choice....maybe...maybe not...EC is definitely cheaper and usually older, but this was unique experience and we got to be first to do it so while that doesn't make the whiskey taste better it does make it a better story to tell while sharing pours of it.  

Edited by ThirstyinOhio
  • I like it 3