What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

4 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

So after the Rendezvous, I tried Pikesville, then WTRBR. Maybe, due to my familiarity with WTRBR, I felt it was superior to the Rendezvous. The Rendezvous had a short finish and not a lot going on with the palate. I suspect the high rye , very low corn component. I won’t give up on HHRR, because of my stellar history with HHDR. 

P.S.  The Pikesville, was just meh tonight. Could be just tonight, but it was just boring. 
It used to be a fave of mine. Could be this batch. 

Cheers

From memory, the rendezvous from 2014-2016 was about its peak flavor. I think they started running out of the quality 7 year high rye MGP stuff like everyone else around 2018.

I was about to have a pour of ri1, but it had other ideas, I'll just have a redemption screw top tonight and deal with cork tomorrow.

20240511_165119.jpg

20240511_165012.jpg

Pikesville rye in the glass...

20240511_211546.jpg

• I like it 1

Beam's OO BIB neat while grilling a tri-tip.  Got the OO out for a classic 2:1:::rye: Dolins sweet vermouth on the rocks w/ a real maraschino cherry in syrup and some Angostura.  I just cannot grill food without having a glass of something neat while I'm braving the elements and the bugs.  Is my reason/excuse for drinking out there.   Frankly neither the elements nor the bugs bother me all that much.

• I like it 4

I'm nearing the end of this mtbsr. And I have to say it wasn't great. Did anyone have an awesome bottle this round? I understand this is a sib, so there will be variety. But this one was all syrup and burn. Basically none of what I'd expect from a michter product.

20240511_222033.jpg

JDSBBP rye while sitting on the deck.  We saw some amazing Northern Lights last night.  Hopefully to repeat the experience tonight.

• I like it 5

27 minutes ago, markandrex said:

JDSBBP rye while sitting on the deck.  We saw some amazing Northern Lights last night.  Hopefully to repeat the experience tonight.

That sounds amazing. Sadly it's very cloudy here tonight.

• I like it 1

Old Fo Rye tonight after entertaining my mother in law.

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Old Fo Rye tonight after entertaining my mother in law.

"Entertaining" your mother in law?  Do tell.

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Umm that didn't come out right.  I need a do-over! 🤦‍♂️
I meant something along the lines of music, singing or entertainment. 

On 5/12/2024 at 12:53 AM, Kepler said:

I took her to church, then out to eat at Bob Evans (along with some other family members).  That's what she said she wanted to do for Mothers Day.

On 5/11/2024 at 10:00 PM, markandrex said:

441675710-10161346606755901-5998914650191404067-n.jpeg

442415582-442631925016650-7808697156355419057-n.jpeg

438165157-10231937546839911-7253457823867676564-n.jpeg

• I like it 8

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

I took her to church, then out to eat at Bob Evans (along with some other family members).  That's what she said she wanted to do for Mothers Day.

I love Bob Evans breakfast.  Great stuff. 👍

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

I love Bob Evans breakfast.  Great stuff. 👍

I don’t think I’ve had a breakfast at Bob Evans, but I had a customer in Troy, OH who was an always lunch visit, and we always went to the BE down the road.  It was always GREAT!  I’ll go there any time!  👍🏻

• I like it 3

10 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I don’t think I’ve had a breakfast at Bob Evans, but I had a customer in Troy, OH who was an always lunch visit, and we always went to the BE down the road.  It was always GREAT!  I’ll go there any time!  👍🏻

Anytime I ever find myself "up north" I always make sure I have a breakfast at Bob Evans.  Maybe I need to try the lunch too!

18 hours ago, markandrex said:

441675710-10161346606755901-5998914650191404067-n.jpeg

442415582-442631925016650-7808697156355419057-n.jpeg

438165157-10231937546839911-7253457823867676564-n.jpeg

Were theses pictures you took?  My goodness!  That's amazing!  I hope to see them someday.

2 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Were theses pictures you took?  My goodness!  That's amazing!  I hope to see them someday.

It is absolutely a bucket list type of experience!   I didn't get to see the latest display, though it could've been viewed in my area; but for the cloud cover.   

My initial experience occurred when I (and a few buddies) was driving waaaay North into Canada for a weeklong back country fishing trip.   We were 'doing all the driving in a day' (20-hours) with only gas, meal, and potty breaks.   During our next-to-last break (4-hours to go) at about 4 a.m. we stopped beside some unnamed lake to stretch, and pee.   Suddenly the sky seemed to just light up with shimmering 'curtains' in shades of brilliant green, blue and bit of violet.   The display covered nearly all the sky and lasted until we decided we'd never leave if we awaited the 'conclusion'.    I've been lucky enough to view the Aurora several more times; but never as vivid as that first and most memorable occasion.

• I like it 3

I'm having Ritt B.I.B.  In a good way, this tastes so much like a high rye Bourbon.  I'd compare it to OGD or some others.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm having Ritt B.I.B.  In a good way, this tastes so much like a high rye Bourbon.  I'd compare it to OGD or some others.

They taste very different to me, but u do grab both of them in si m ilar situations...bold flavors, value priced, stand up in cocktails...

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

Still my go to. It has something extra above a high rye bourbon. Have you tried any of the sibs?

9 hours ago, Mattk said:

Still my go to. It has something extra above a high rye bourbon. Have you tried any of the sibs?

I have not tried the single barrel version yet.  I saw it once in a store I don't shop too often.  I need to talk to the manager of my regular place.  Maybe they'll get some.

My immediate family is celebrating my son-in-law's birthday (yesterday), as well as mine (actually Sunday) this evening.   We're going out for dinner, then back here, whereupon I'll uncork that bottle of Rare Breed Rye I picked up at the gift shop last weekend of April.   It'll be offered around and likely partaken by most of us.   So, we'll put a dent in the contents; but that signed bottle shall be kept no matter what.

• I like it 3

36 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

My immediate family is celebrating my son-in-law's birthday (yesterday), as well as mine (actually Sunday) this evening.   We're going out for dinner, then back here, whereupon I'll uncork that bottle of Rare Breed Rye I picked up at the gift shop last weekend of April.   It'll be offered around and likely partaken by most of us.   So, we'll put a dent in the contents; but that signed bottle shall be kept no matter what.

Happy Birthday to you both!  I will have a pour of some PHC 8 yr double char , no RBR in the house currently.

• I like it 2

Celebrating fRYEday with some delicious Dickel house distilled rye.

Kinda wish I had some backups…

IMG_8698.jpeg

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

Celebrating fRYEday with some delicious Dickel house distilled rye.

Kinda wish I had some backups…

IMG_8698.jpeg

Cool.  I didn't know Dickel distilled their own rye.  Dickel rye was always MGP rye, correct?  When did they start making their own?