What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

Fryeday  bottle kill.  Down to 2 in the bunker.  DANGER--WILL ROBINSON!!!

IMG_20240308_232346__01.jpg

I hear you. Pikesville has been scarce ‘round  these parts lately. I think, I have a few stashed somewhere, tho 🤨

Cheers

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Having some WT101 Rye along with a "Lemonades" girl scout cookie.  Perfect combination 🍋 🥃 ✔️

No disrespect to the classics,

but those lemon cookies are the absolute best!

• I like it 1

This one is always solid.

20240309_171044.jpg

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, 0895 said:

No disrespect to the classics,

but those lemon cookies are the absolute best!

They are surprisingly spectacular. 

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

They are surprisingly spectacular. 

My favorite of the cookies by far.

6 minutes ago, Mattk said:

My favorite of the cookies by far.

My favorite was always the Thanks-a-Lot, but I guess it has been discontinued.  Tried the new Adventurefuls this year, and those taste basically the same as Thanks a Lot, but just a different design.  So all is right with the world again.

But this year these Lemonades really opened my eyes.  These have shot up my list, maybe top 2. 

Yep, I know I'm still a relative noob, but this is my first experience with OF Rye.  Of especial interest to me is this is the first bottle of brown liquor I've seen that lists the mashbill in the back label blurb. Here's to expanding my ho-rye-zons.

IMG_20240310_191648.jpg

• I like it 3

21 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Yep, I know I'm still a relative noob, but this is my first experience with OF Rye.  Of especial interest to me is this is the first bottle of brown liquor I've seen that lists the mashbill in the back label blurb. Here's to expanding my ho-rye-zons.

IMG_20240310_191648.jpg

FWIW, I like this stuff a lot!  🥃😊    I hope you enjoy it, Thomm.  😋

• I like it 3

51 minutes ago, Thomm said:

IMG_20240310_191648.jpg

I love both ryes in your photo.

• I like it 1

Open up a KC Rye 7 year tonight.  It's been a while my friend.  You are still rough around the edges.  That's why I love you.

• I like it 2

Whelp, met with Faster Horses a few weeks ago. We got each other a bunch of goodies at cost. Met halfway between Knoxville & Nashville for some BBQ and an exchange. He also gave me a rye to try. A Michigan rye in an Ohio State Glencairn, no less.

We went looking around. He has a good eye for the rye. He spotted several 375 ml of High West Double - 2017, so the good stuff. $20 per bottle!

Be like Faster Horses.

MI Rye.jpg

• I like it 5

Daggunnit - that is good rye. Now I need to look it up.

To repeat: Be like Faster Horses.

• I like it 2

I got an urge for something a different, so I pulled an Alberta CS out of the bunker.

Most Canadian Whisky is just blah - 80 proof well liquor for mixing drinks, GNS and caramel color added.  On the contrary, this stuff is awesome.  Thanks again to mbroo5880i for the heads up.

• I like it 5

Unplanned purchase, but they were on sale so I grabbed a couple.  I didn't have one of these open so decided to take it for a spin. I'm a big fan of this rye. 

20240313_182110.thumb.jpg.66ac48ac1c74fda1857162f6c41d5883.jpg

• I like it 8

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Unplanned purchase, but they were on sale so I grabbed a couple.  I didn't have one of these open so decided to take it for a spin. I'm a big fan of this rye. 

It's been awhile for me but it is a great rye.  

KC Rye as a starter.  Maybe a repeat or maybe something else for my next pour.  It depends on which bottle catches my attention when I go back to the cupboard.

• I like it 2

On 3/10/2024 at 8:37 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Open up a KC Rye 7 year tonight.  It's been a while my friend.  You are still rough around the edges.  That's why I love you.

Big fan of KC rye too

• I like it 3

On 3/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, Anwalt said:

Daggunnit - that is good rye. Now I need to look it up.

To repeat: Be like Faster Horses.

He seems like a good guy.  Any fan of Tom T. is okay in my book.

• I like it 3

36 minutes ago, Kepler said:

22 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

It's been awhile for me but it is a great rye. 

I realize there is always the single barrel variation factor, but I did a short SBS with my Rare Breed rye and I definitely preferred this RR over the WTRBR.  Impressive when considering the 104 proof vs 112 disadvantage.

And it was absolutely no contest compared to the WT101R  (and I really like WT101R)

Currently I'm comparing it directly to Pikesville and it's close.  I mean very very close.  It just comes down to personal preference.

The Pikesville tastes more like a bourbon compared to the RRSiB.  Since the RR displays more rye spice complexity I'm going to give the nod to the RRSiB.  This is a clear upset in my book, considering how highly I rate Pikesville ... even when taking into account that Pikesville is usually significantly cheaper than RRSiB. 

I did happen to luck into this RR on sale at the same price as Pikesville but that's not typical at all.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

He seems like a good guy.

That he is.

• I like it 3

On 3/12/2024 at 4:07 PM, Anwalt said:

Whelp, met with Faster Horses a few weeks ago. We got each other a bunch of goodies at cost. Met halfway between Knoxville & Nashville for some BBQ and an exchange. He also gave me a rye to try. A Michigan rye in an Ohio State Glencairn, no less.

We went looking around. He has a good eye for the rye. He spotted several 375 ml of High West Double - 2017, so the good stuff. $20 per bottle!

Be like Faster Horses.

MI Rye.jpg

Thanks John.. Thats a humbling compliment to receive from the international bourbon diplomat of 2023-24. Really enjoyed the hunt.. they raised the price on those stagg jrs ro 149 by the end of the week. 

• I like it 2

On 3/10/2024 at 7:45 PM, Thomm said:

IMG_20240310_191648.jpg

On 3/10/2024 at 8:09 PM, Richnimrod said:

FWIW, I like this stuff a lot!  🥃😊    I hope you enjoy it, Thomm.  😋

On 3/10/2024 at 8:36 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I love both ryes in your photo.

Count me in.  Also a big fan of OF100 Rye. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Score & Pour!!!  Nice.  Enjoy. 

Cheers

It kind of bugs me that they switched the label up so much this year. Luke halfway through the series. There has always been a slight variation year to year. But this is pretty drastic. 4 more years and I'll have a full series tasting...

20240314_165231.jpg

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

A good rrsibr is simply wonderful, and even better if it is on sale.

• I like it 1

Fryeday errands so I had too make a few stops.  137.5 proof!   If I wasn’t. On antibiotics, I would have one open!🥵

image1.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
Adding pic
  • I like it 5