What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

It's a new year, I've sipped on a few over the holiday but have put a dent in this 2016 high west double rye. Can't wait to hear about all the great rye this year.

20240102_220659.jpg

• I like it 5

Call me Rerun, but I couldn't resist going back for another Alberta Premium Cask Strength.  This is a steal at $50. And it fits tonight's theme perfectly, as I just got back from an 5-0 AHL hockey win by the hometown Milwaukee Admirals over the Colorado Eagles.  Canadian pastime calls for Canadian rye.  Tonight it's all chocolate and mint and a marshmallow finish.  

• I like it 5

My wife got me some bottles for my birthday. She is getting pretty good at selecting things I want.

20240107_142634.jpg

• I like it 10

Hey, it's me again. I bought another bottle of rye.

20240108_153054.jpg

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Excited to crack one of these soon!

IMG_8397.jpeg

Excellent.  What are those running in your neck of the woods?

5 hours ago, n811 said:

well, they aren’t exactly in my neck of the woods.

Thank goodness for mail order.

They were about $120 each including fedex.

As a rye nerd, it was worth it to me.

• I like it 2

These Old Overholt 10s look interesting. Honestly I’ve never paid that much attention to Old Overholt. They’ve been doing some brand expansions in recent years but that has been after I drastically reduced drinking. Is it the same mashbill as KC rye? I’ve never really heard of Beam having multiple rye mashbills, except maybe that the Booker’s rye was a unique mashbill one-off? 

I hope this release is good. I do think fondly of Old Overholt, as it was the first bottle of rye I ever got in the mid 90s. I didn’t love it at the time, and I probably still wouldn’t love the standard version. Fun memory though

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Excited to crack one of these soon!

IMG_8397.jpeg

8 hours ago, n811 said:

59 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

These Old Overholt 10s look interesting. Honestly I’ve never paid that much attention to Old Overholt. They’ve been doing some brand expansions in recent years but that has been after I drastically reduced drinking. Is it the same mashbill as KC rye? I’ve never really heard of Beam having multiple rye mashbills, except maybe that the Booker’s rye was a unique mashbill one-off? 

I hope this release is good. I do think fondly of Old Overholt, as it was the first bottle of rye I ever got in the mid 90s. I didn’t love it at the time, and I probably still wouldn’t love the standard version. Fun memory though

They are priced in the low 90's here in Texas.  I keep passing on them due to the price and to the fact I don't consume a lot of rye personally, but the more you guys post, the harder it is for me to pass on these.   Lol.  I do really enjoy the 11 year OO that I traded for, so it's probably very good juice.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Yeah, the Beam Rye and OO are the same mash bill.

I had seen recently a version of OO.  They brought back the 4 year age statement and bumped the proof up from 80 to 86 (bumped up the price too).  Still not quite enough to interest me.

There is or was a B.I.B. version - in my wheel house.

If you like that mash bill, I've been seeing a lot of the KC Rye 7 year 100 proof @ around $30 - nice.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

Yeah, the Beam Rye and OO are the same mash bill.

I had seen recently a version of OO.  They brought back the 4 year age statement and bumped the proof up from 80 to 86 (bumped up the price too).  Still not quite enough to interest me.

There is or was a B.I.B. version - in my wheel house.

If you like that mash bill, I've been seeing a lot of the KC Rye 7 year 100 proof @ around $30 - nice.

I like the OO114, which is a 4 year rye.

Since it's the same mash bill, then I imagine that it is really good with that extra time in the barrel.

I consider the bonded & the 114 good value pours. 

$90.00  is not in the value pour category, to me anyway, and I think I would need to try it first....

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

It is snowy here, and the sun has set. I opted to open a rocket top batch 3 this evening. It is quite enjoyable.

20240115_175748.jpg

• I like it 2

It’s been awhile since I popped a Baby Saz.  I have felt that this has lost more than a bit of the warm baking spice notes that I found so attractive in it in early releases, but it is still a very nice drink.  The spice notes seem to be more edgy and lacking the warmth, to me.  But, it’s definitely rye tasting…and good.  

5671D667-07A9-4A3B-8C70-7F28C2A48B4F.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s been awhile since I popped a Baby Saz.  I have felt that this has lost more than a bit of the warm baking spice notes that I found so attractive in it in early releases, but it is still a very nice drink.  The spice notes seem to be more edgy and lacking the warmth, to me.  But, it’s definitely rye tasting…and good.  

5671D667-07A9-4A3B-8C70-7F28C2A48B4F.jpeg

A local put this on sale for $24.96.  From unattainable to available and on sale.  Thank you.  Yes, I will have another.

A couple of unexpected end of the week pours of Hard Truth High Road Rye 93 proof.  I love this stuff.  Some stores sell for mid-$30s while others sell for mid-$60s.  I think the store that sell it in th mid-$60s are confusing it for the barrel proof version.  You would think the UPC would tell them how to price.  I know where to shop.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

Celebrating a Caps victory and the first hat-trick that I've witnessed 20240118_213430.thumb.jpg.6397f0ef9fb835a51bf72429455b3065.jpgin person with a big rye😃

20240118_231803.jpg

• I like it 4

Last night Fryeday eve called for a pour of New Riff SBBP herbal mild sweetness....hit the spot!!

• I like it 4

I went to the store for some groceries today and thought I might grab a something spicy for a cold evening of watching NFL football.  Not that I don't already have a variety of options but I was looking for something like WTR101.  I ended up picking up a Ritt BIB single barrel store pick.  

Not knowing what to expect, I opened the bottle tonight and I am pleasantly surprised by its unique and enjoyable flavor.  It definitely has the typical fruit forward profile but slightly amped up in a good way.  I get the dark fruit but also peach notes on the palate.  It is worth the slight upcharge.

While I find standard Ritt BIB to be better in cocktails, this version is really good neat.

I can see grabbing another bottle.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

52 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I went to the store for some groceries today and thought I might grab a something spicy for a cold evening of watching NFL football.  Not that I don't already have a variety of options but I was looking for something like WTR101.  I ended up picking up a Ritt BIB single barrel store pick.  

Not knowing what to expect, I opened the bottle tonight and I am pleasantly surprised by its unique and enjoyable flavor.  It definitely has the typical fruit forward profile but slightly amped up in a good way.  I get the dark fruit but also peach notes on the palate.  It is worth the slight upcharge.

While I find standard Ritt BIB to be better in cocktails, this version is really good neat.

I currently have 4 different ritt sp bottles. Each is wildly different then the others. None are like the standard issue. All have been fantastic. It's come to the point, I believe, that when I see one I'm just going to grab it. 

• I like it 3

Just now, Mattk said:

I currently have 4 different ritt sp bottles. Each is wildly different then the others. None are like the standard issue. All have been fantastic. It's come to the point, I believe, that when I see one I'm just going to grab it. 

Thanks for sharing.  I was wondering if I was caught up in the recency effect.  I like it tonight so it must be good.  I will grab one of the other bottles if it is still there when I go back to the store.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Mattk said:

I have one store pick Ritt already so I passed on a different one recently when I came across it.  Maybe I should go back and pick it up.

• I like it 1

Sagamore 8 yr is really good.  And available.

Besides private single barrel picks, I think the bonded 5 year is still my favorite Sagamore.  My understanding is the BiB is all their own distillate.

20240120_221914.thumb.jpg.373d3674120c6d1b13b2b1a0fed24b0a.jpg

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Sagamore 8 yr is really good.  And available.

Besides private single barrel picks, I think the bonded 5 year is still my favorite Sagamore.  My understanding is the BiB is all their own distillate.

20240120_221914.thumb.jpg.373d3674120c6d1b13b2b1a0fed24b0a.jpg

With the exception of the DO, I like pretty much everything from Sagamore.   

We keep meaning to check out the distillery but haven't gotten around to it which is inexcusable, because they're 20 minutes from the house :ph34r:

They actually deliver locally.    

13 hours ago, Mattk said:

Nice!

I keep a bottle of the BiB on hand, but didn't realize that they had picks.   Good to know!

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

What did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?