What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

6 hours ago, markandrex said:

Fryeday errands so I had too make a few stops.  137.5 proof!   If I wasn’t. On antibiotics, I would have one open!🥵

image1.jpeg

At that proof, it may be more effective than antibiotics.  I can see the little bacteria now.  "Hey, what's this stuff he is ingesting?  It tastes so spicy and awesome.  Help, it burning me alive."  Next day, you are back to yourself delivering donuts to every liquor store in the area.  Next thing you know you are getting calls to pick up more allocated whiskey.  Thus, is the whiskey circle of life.  

• I like it 4

FRYEDAY with KC Rye 7 year.  This stuff is so rough around the edges I feel like it is brawling with my pallate.  Nothing like a good fight on a FRYEDAY night.  

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, markandrex said:

Fryeday errands so I had too make a few stops.  137.5 proof!   If I wasn’t. On antibiotics, I would have one open!🥵

Dayyyummm!

• I like it 1

Obree stayed up late. We had a nice 3-hour chat over OE7 and Rossville Union (former blew away the latter, those 1-2 years make a difference). Followed by JD SBBP R and Michers BP. Just great stuff.

God bless tech!

Obree Rye.jpg

• I like it 3

How's this for Fryeday.  I went to a church fish fry, then poured myself a generous dram of Rittenhouse.  Next on to the Forged In Fire marathon on the Defy channel.  Wife is at work till late, so I can actually hear what the judges on the show are saying.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Wife is at work till late, so I can actually hear what the judges on the show are saying.

God bless 'em, but truer words have never been spoken!

• I like it 2

Happy fRYEday!

This is pretty good.

Still has that JD banana thing going on.

IMG_8560.jpeg

• I like it 5

5 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

At that proof, it may be more effective than antibiotics.  I can see the little bacteria now.  "Hey, what's this stuff he is ingesting?  It tastes so spicy and awesome.  Help, it burning me alive."  Next day, you are back to yourself delivering donuts to every liquor store in the area.  Next thing you know you are getting calls to pick up more allocated whiskey.  Thus, is the whiskey circle of life.  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Earlier this evening, Pikesville.  Now onto WP15. Please, let me get rid of this bottle. 😝

It has hung around like mid summer cold. It just won’t go away. Not only is it a meh whiskey, it cost me over $200, back in 2019. Just a waste of money & my liver. 🙄

Anyway, Happy FRyeday, Y’all. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Earlier this evening, Pikesville.  Now onto WP15. Please, let me get rid of this bottle. 😝

It has hung around like mid summer cold. It just won’t go away. Not only is it a meh whiskey, it cost me over $200, back in 2019. Just a waste of money & my liver. 🙄

Cheers

Save it for last pour of the evening, after your palate is not too sensitive.  Or pull it out for guests - hey, ever tried WP.

• I like it 1

In my meager experience Whistle Piggie is either liked a lot by folx or mostly passed by others.   Not many seem to be neutral about WP.   Personally, I am kinda an outlier, I guess.   I don't hate it; but, for the money, lotsa other things I'd grab first.

• I like it 3

Last night JDSBBPR 134.4 and tonight HW double rye (older). Two fine pours! 

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 4

22 hours ago, 0895 said:

Happy fRYEday!

This is pretty good.

Still has that JD banana thing going on.

IMG_8560.jpeg

May be common knowledge but our tour guide said its all canadian rye. Banana comes from the yeast. 
Cracked a 134.5 last night. Great pour but had to add a couple drops of water

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

May be common knowledge but our tour guide said its all canadian rye. Banana comes from the yeast. 
Cracked a 134.5 last night. Great pour but had to add a couple drops of water

Mine says TN rye distilled & bottled by JD.  

Not sure what tour you were on , what country it was in,

or how much anyone might have been drinking before, during, or after.

🤷🏻‍♂️ 😜

The “banana” in my bottle is consistent with what I get sometimes from other JD products.

IMG_8562.jpeg

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, PaulO said:

Save it for last pour of the evening, after your palate is not too sensitive.  Or pull it out for guests - hey, ever tried WP.

I’d hadn’t thought of pawning it  off on guests.  I like it!  Pro tip right there. Thanks 😀

Cheers

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Mine says TN rye distilled & bottled by JD.  

Not sure what tour you were on , what country it was in,

or how much anyone might have been drinking before, during, or after.

🤷🏻‍♂️ 😜

The “banana” in my bottle is consistent with what I get sometimes from other JD products.

IMG_8562.jpeg

I wonder if FasterHorses was describing the grain used in the mashbill(s) as "Canadian" rather than the distillate....?     I believe Canada does produce a large amount of the rye grain used in distilling whiskey in the US.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I wonder if FasterHorses was describing the grain used in the mashbill(s) as "Canadian" rather than the distillate....?     I believe Canada does produce a large amount of the rye grain used in distilling whiskey in the US.

Yes. Thank you Rich, it’s the grain. JDs rye grain is all from canada. They said they get their corn from TN and Alabama… and wherever else close by they can get it. The tour was in Lynchburg, Tennessee at the distillery hosted by an official JD tourguide and 23 year employee. 

• I like it 4

On 3/16/2024 at 1:20 PM, Richnimrod said:

In my meager experience Whistle Piggie is either liked a lot by folx or mostly passed by others.   Not many seem to be neutral about WP.   Personally, I am kinda an outlier, I guess.   I don't hate it; but, for the money, lotsa other things I'd grab first.

WhistlePig and Jeffersons Rye were stellar produced in Alberta.  WhistlePig is ok but signficantly overpriced.  I have enjoyed a couple of older and finished bottles over the past few years that easily cost the purchaser $150 to $200 each.  Fine whiskeys but something that I would never consider buying.  I am ok with WT101, Ritt BIB, or Hard Truth.

Tonight's pour x2 is Pikesville.  I can get 4 bottles for the price of WP12 Yr.  Yes, please!

• I like it 2

On 3/16/2024 at 1:46 AM, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

If you are going to overpay for an adl you should make it one of these.

20240317_205429.jpg

• I like it 6

Tonight I'm having an Irish rye.

20240317_210635.jpg

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

IMG_5933.thumb.jpeg.5f32777a2198dc1ec5028ca2115e9fd3.jpeg

Wow, I didn't even know there was such a thing.  Is it Sazerac Rye, except bumped up to bottled in bond parameters.

50 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Wow, I didn't even know there was such a thing.  Is it Sazerac Rye, except bumped up to bottled in bond parameters.

Been in production for years. Not seen often. I believe they get it from Barton. Was lucky to get four last year. 

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 3

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

It’s a totally different mash bill than Sazerac/Handy, which are barely legal ryes. EH Taylor rye has no corn. It’s rumored to be around 80% rye and the rest barley.

• I like it 2

Well, this reminded me that I had opened one to let it air out. Time to try it.

EHT Rye.jpg

• I like it 4