What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

On 5/17/2024 at 2:27 PM, Richnimrod said:

My immediate family is celebrating my son-in-law's birthday (yesterday), as well as mine (actually Sunday) this evening.   We're going out for dinner, then back here, whereupon I'll uncork that bottle of Rare Breed Rye I picked up at the gift shop last weekend of April.   It'll be offered around and likely partaken by most of us.   So, we'll put a dent in the contents; but that signed bottle shall be kept no matter what.

Happy birthday!

• I like it 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Kepler said:

Cool.  I didn't know Dickel distilled their own rye.  Dickel rye was always MGP rye, correct?  When did they start making their own?

The common green label bottle was/still is? MGP finished at cascade hollow.

At some point they started distilling their own rye on their column, but it is rather rare to locate.

Most of it is blended into the Dickel X Leopold three chamber product.

Supposedly a decent amount was sold to Barrell and is blended into their products (Seagrass, etc).

And some of it has been sold off as sourced whiskey to NDP's, the only two of which I am aware of thus far are Peg Leg Porker and a few Backbone store pick/single barrels.

It has a lot of complex flavors and sometimes gives off a spicy sour apple type of profile.

I don't get any of the vitamin or mineral taste often associated with their bourbon/TN whiskey.

It should be noted that just because you find a TN rye doesn't mean it was distilled at Dickel.

TN distilling company cranks out a decent amount of products,

as well as Jack Daniels, although I have never heard of JD selling their product to NDP's.

To answer your question about when, most of the backbone picks are in the 8-9 year age, and this peg leg is labeled as 8 yrs.  So I would guess around 2013-2014.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 3

7 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The common green label bottle was/still is? MGP finished at cascade hollow.

At some point they started distilling their own rye on their column, but it is rather rare to locate.

Most of it is blended into the Dickel X Leopold three chamber product.

And some of it has been sold off as sourced whiskey to NDP's, the only two of which I am aware of thus far are Peg Leg Porker and a few Backbone store pick/single barrels.

It has a lot of complex flavors and sometimes gives off a spicy sour apple type of profile.

I don't get any of the vitamin or mineral taste often associated with their bourbon/TN whiskey.

It should be noted that just because you find a TN rye doesn't mean it was distilled at Dickel.

TN distilling company cranks out a decent amount of products,

as well as Jack Daniels, although I have never heard of JD selling their product to NDP's.

I had no idea. I need to read more whiskey news, haha.
I was aware of that Dickel X Leopold bottling, and come to think of it I saw someone post something interesting about it a long time ago, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together I guess.

Interesting news. Thanks for the info.

• I like it 1

FEIW, I really like the dickel x Leopold bottling...

• I like it 1

Enjoying a warm pour while catching up on a tv show after doing yard work. 

IMG_5786.jpeg

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Oooooh!   Warm?  How about HOT!?!?   HazMat Rye neat, on a hot afternoon!   Not sure about that decision; but, yer call, of course.   

I might have decided to make a whiskey sour or some such with that, given the Summer-like temps and the yard work; but, that's just how I roll these days.   At my age, the neat pours of high proof whiskey are rare, especially on a hot afternoon.

I actually had a rare beer after the lawn duties yesterday afternoon.   At almost 90 outside, I opted to replace more vital bodily fluids (and add some carbs and 'electrolytes' Hee-Heee!) with that beer.   Gluten-Free, of course.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Radioyada said:

IMG_5786.jpeg

image.gif.fe07e46c6a580dc3c0ea6e886d07c32e.gif

• I like it 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Oooooh!   Warm?  How about HOT!?!?   HazMat Rye neat, on a hot afternoon!   Not sure about that decision; but, yer call, of course.   

I might have decided to make a whiskey sour or some such with that, given the Summer-like temps and the yard work; but, that's just how I roll these days.   At my age, the neat pours of high proof whiskey are rare, especially on a hot afternoon.

I actually had a rare beer after the lawn duties yesterday afternoon.   At almost 90 outside, I opted to replace more vital bodily fluids (and add some carbs and 'electrolytes' Hee-Heee!) with that beer.   Gluten-Free, of course.

it was just the bottle that caught my eye as I was deciding on my evening libation.  Usually I try to vary my choices between low and high proof and types of alcohol, and my last couple of pours were the easier drinkers. 

I hear ya on the summer pours!  You can bet the amount of liquid in the glass was significantly less than normal, and there was a bottle of water sitting beside it.  Fortunately these bottles drink easier than the proof indicates. 

Mixed drinks are not something I normally enjoy, and never at home. Everything is always poured neat and slowly enjoyed. 

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 3

It's a hot one today. I was on more roofs then I care for. It's a daddy daughter night, as my wife is at her friend's retirement party. So I'm having an oo11 on the front porch. Already have the sushi from my daughter's favorite spot and I'm bracing for a marathon of new Disney plus shows. The school bus arrives shortly.

20240522_160908.jpg

• I like it 4

Remind her of this, and also remind yourself.  Have a great time.  

I always have a good time. "Owl house" tonight. So it's actually pretty good watching. It pairs well with a pour of new riff.

👍🏻

OO114 to salute daddy daughter night, and good rye.

IMG_5243.jpeg

• I like it 5

Took the day off to start the holiday weekend early.  Didn't matter.  Issues came up at work and I have to field several calls and resolve a few issues.  Crazy Town.

It's Frye Day.  Finished off a couple of pours of Baby Saz.  It is much better today now that it is plentiful compared to when a few years ago when it was allocated or completely absent.

Nice creamy, spicy, butterscotchy rye.  Worth the price of admission.  My favorite budget rye.  No.  But a very enjoyable alternative.

• I like it 3

My fRYEday pour is New Riff 6 yr Malted rye.  I really like this one.  It has quite a bit of that cola flavor note that their bourbons have. It's an interesting counterbalance to the rye spice notes.

• I like it 4

Celebrating fRYEday with a tasty treat.

IMG_8717.jpeg

• I like it 4

Yesterday, after my volunteer shift at the park, I re-visited that Rare Breed Rye signature bottle I picked up at the gift shop a few weex ago.   Didn't really get to spend time with it last weekend at the combined B'day celebrations.   

Man!   That is an "in-yer-face-spicy" straight rye at barrel proof (112.2-pr.).    I really like it!    I followed a couple small pours of that with some JDSR, BP (134.3-pr.).   Not an actual side-by-side; but, my impression is the WTRBR is way 'bigger', even though the JD has over 20-proof points on it.    Either would be plenty in any cocktail one might choose to try, and for sure, all one might want in the way of flavor when sampled neat.   I wish I'd have grabbed two of the WTRBR....

• I like it 4

Last pour from a gift shop NR SBBP. There wasn’t quite enough for a full pour so I supplemented with another 100% rye, some WP Piggyback, DAMN that was a delicious combo!!! I like em both stand alone but the combo was another step up. A spontaneous experiment that payed off in a BIG way, pure deliciousnes.

• I like it 4

On 5/13/2024 at 7:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

I don’t think I’ve had a breakfast at Bob Evans, but I had a customer in Troy, OH who was an always lunch visit

The Pot Roast sandwiches are really good.

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

The Pot Roast sandwiches are really good.

Ha!  I got the pot roast every time!  

• I like it 2

OF Rye 100 watching the Celtics-Pacers game.  I used to be an NBA fan but not so much anymore.  However, I still enjoy watching the Pacers.  Pacers fan back to when I was a kid.

Sunday Night Scaries on a Monday night.  I believe I will have another.

• I like it 2

The wife and I worked all day cleaning up debris in the yard from the weekend  storms.  Nothing major but enough to eat away the day.  Burger for dinner afterwards.

Now sitting down to a glass of PHC 8 year heavy char.

• I like it 6

Sometimes a tough week calls for a hit straight from the countertop bottle. A little of100r tonight. Is it Friday yet?

20240529_190800.jpg

• I like it 3

37 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Sometimes a tough week calls for a hit straight from the countertop bottle. A little of100r tonight. Is it Friday yet?

20240529_190800.jpg

Friend, we are hitting the same bottle tonight.  Delicious.  I also buy the same Olive Oil. 😀

Countertop bottle, is that a thing? If not, it should be.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Friend, we are hitting the same bottle tonight.  Delicious.  I also buy the same Olive Oil. 😀

Countertop bottle, is that a thing? If not, it should be.

You see Olive Oil, I see Huy Fong Sriracha.  The countertop bottle is a given, on that we all agree!

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, markandrex said:

You see Olive Oil, I see Huy Fong Sriracha.  The countertop bottle is a given, on that we all agree!

Ha, I saw the Sriacha too!  But, Mama mbroo doesn't dig it so it wouldn't be on the countertop.  😀

• I like it 1