What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

Back at my favorite brunch location , and enjoying another pour I have been wanting to try. 

IMG_5636.jpeg

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 7

4 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Back at my favorite brunch location , and enjoying another pour I have been wanting to try. 

IMG_5636.jpeg

And? How was it?

4 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

And? How was it?

It is excellent. Definitely one of the better non finished ryes I have ever had. 

• I like it 2

BTW, I had a tiny bit of my Bulleit Rye this afternoon just to taste it again. It was pretty smooth!

• I like it 2

I stumbled upon a few of the old lable bulleit 12s today, still no luck finding the new one though.

20240503_182042.jpg

5 hours ago, Mattk said:

I stumbled upon a few of the old lable bulleit 12s today, still no luck finding the new one though.

20240503_182042.jpg

Today I picked up a bottle of what I assumed to be the new Bulleit 12.  I'll have to check the label I guess.

Happy fRyeDay.

Sagamore Sherry finish in my glass.  I have really come to appreciate this expression.  Big fan.

Trying something new for fRYEday.

I like it.

Much softer and gentler than the standard Beam rye.

This is 80 rye/ 20 malted barley.  95p NCF.

IMG_8655.jpeg

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Today I picked up a bottle of what I assumed to be the new Bulleit 12.  I'll have to check the label I guess.

They are pretty different. Got the new label today.

20240504_164135.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Mattk said:

They are pretty different. Got the new label today.

20240504_164135.jpg

Ahh ok I wasn't aware.  Mine is definitely the new one on the right. Thanks 👍

Btw fellow SBers, @Mattk is definitely our resident rye expert on these pages. The dude knows his rye whiskey.  Lucky to have him here!

• I like it 1

I picked up a bottle of Rare Breed Rye at the Distillery Gift Shop last weekend . . .  and had Jimmie Russell sign it!

• I like it 7

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

Btw fellow SBers, @Mattk is definitely our resident rye expert on these pages. The dude knows his rye whiskey.  Lucky to have him here!

I don't know if I'm any type of expert, but certainly quite the enthusiast. Thanks though, glad to be here.

• I like it 1

Tonight I'm having a pour of oo11. It is one of the best ryes I've had from JB. Rich in flavor and light in proof, this rye sits just perfectly for a rainy Sunday evening.

20240505_175850.jpg

• I like it 2

I've often wondered if this is what pre-Prohibition PA rye really tasted like.

I mean, who's around to know?🤔

Doesn't matter, it's good.

20240505_195418.jpg

• I like it 1

Today I bought the new "regular" bottle from sagamore.

20240507_164514.jpg

20240507_164505.jpg

• I like it 2

I do like Sagamore's bottles.  Art Deco throwback sorta.   Tasteful, and the whiskey ain't bad either.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I do like Sagamore's bottles.  Art Deco throwback sorta.   Tasteful, and the whiskey ain't bad either.

The new thing here is the distillate. It is 100% their own, and they bumped the proof to 93

• I like it 3

On 5/8/2024 at 10:11 AM, Mattk said:

The new thing here is the distillate. It is 100% their own, and they bumped the proof to 93

I have been waiting for the transition to house distilled. Now I am going to start paying attention to them.

• I like it 2

Second to last pour from my NR CS rye purchased at the distillery last year. I have enjoyed this one, good, not great but solid and worth the price. I am a wee bit disappointed in the gift shop SBs. I would like to see these distilleries do a better job of selecting what they sell in the GS as this is not a NR issue as I've experienced it at JEP and Yellowstone (though they DID have honey barrels in the mix but it was 1 out of 3 in each case, fortunately I tasted through and found them, no time on the NR visit), there is usually a slight premium and it should be reserved for true honey barrels, again this was good but not at that level.

I’m sitting here watching Kacey Musgraves on Apple TV.  In need a second pour and I’m inclined to THH, something nearly as smooth as her voice.  

• I like it 2

Saw that there was no fRYEday activity tonight after @markandrex 's good work earlier today.

I had to carry on his good work from the daylight hours and pour something good tonight.

Happy fRYEday Night 🌛.

20240510_222923.thumb.jpg.83dc649ba26833dbb1c91f9750077545.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 4

Happy FRyeDay, fellow SB’rs. I found this HWRR recently. I was certainly surprised and pleased, it was still on the shelf, after all of those years. I am looking forward to this one. 

Cheers

C81483F2-B0C6-4E6D-B2B5-0E2E7BA4A25D.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Happy FRyeDay, fellow SB’rs. I found this HWRR recently. I was certainly surprised and pleased, it was still on the shelf, after all of those years. I am looking forward to this one. 

Cheers

C81483F2-B0C6-4E6D-B2B5-0E2E7BA4A25D.jpeg

So after the Rendezvous, I tried Pikesville, then WTRBR. Maybe, due to my familiarity with WTRBR, I felt it was superior to the Rendezvous. The Rendezvous had a short finish and not a lot going on with the palate. I suspect the high rye , very low corn component. I won’t give up on HHRR, because of my stellar history with HHDR. 

P.S.  The Pikesville, was just meh tonight. Could be just tonight, but it was just boring. 
It used to be a fave of mine. Could be this batch. 

Cheers

• I like it 1