What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

Finished off a bottle of Baby Saz.  Once this pour is emptied, I will have to contemplate my next pour probably bourbon.

As noted varioius threads, this stuff seems to be hitting the shelves en masse over the past several months.  It is good but if it is becoming more plentiful, it would be great if Sazerac put out a few other iterations.  It would be cool to try a 6 yr 100 proof or 6 yr BP version.  

• I like it 2

I finished up my chunk of chores for today and I'm slipping in a quick pour of "the big stick" from rough rider. This is a pour many ignore. On paper it seems like it should be terrible. It's craft, heirloom grains, and very young. So young in fact they can't even cable it straight rye. However the grain is done perfectly, and fermented with a champagne yeast. The flavor it produces is remarkable. Bottled at 121 proof is pretty righteous as well. I'd really like to see a barrel of this stuff hit like the 6 year mark, but the young rye is still great.

20240303_135925.jpg

• I like it 1

Picked up the Green River Rye recently, and it is very good.  

EF5834AC-DDDB-45AB-95A7-19758AF5EDBF.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 3/2/2024 at 12:43 AM, Kepler said:

I don't think I've ever seen a JD "barrel proof" Rye or Tennessee whiskey (aka bourbon) under 130 proof.  But I haven't actually been looking for JDBP for at least a couple years, maybe more.

Most of the ones I find around here are usually between 125 and 129 proof. Over 130 is a treat

8 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

Most of the ones I find around here are usually between 125 and 129 proof. Over 130 is a treat

Interesting.  See, I learn something new pretty much anytime I check out SB. 

When it comes to the new JD barrel proofs, I obviously haven't been paying attention lately.  When these first came out, seems like they were all over 130.  With the early "Special Release" rye I found that they generally tasted better the higher proof that they were (small sample size caveat).

As for the bourbons (aka Tennessee Whiskey) I found that they were all good, and the proof level didn't matter much to my taste buds.

Edited by Kepler
spelling... JD not JB
  • I like it 1

Wife and I are enjoying some 15y BP MGP 95/5 tonight for dessert.

IMG_8543.jpeg

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'll be on the lookout for that.

I thought their Bourbon was well in my wheelhouse.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I'll be on the lookout for that.

I thought their Bourbon was well in my wheelhouse.

Same here with the bourbon.  That’s why I picked up the rye when I saw it.  

• I like it 1

These just arrived.

A 12 year single barrel cask strength  Canadian rye for $51.00? Hell yeah!

I'm cracking one of these tonight, my self-imposed, "no alcohol during the week" rule be damned!

20240306_122139.jpg

• I like it 4

38 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

These just arrived.

A 12 year single barrel cask strength  Canadian rye for $51.00? Hell yeah!

I'm cracking one of these tonight, my self-imposed, "no alcohol during the week" rule be damned!

20240306_122139.jpg

Let us know how those little girls are, eh?   They look so cute!    Never heard of Mammoth Distilling.     Alter ego of some major?   ...Or, independent?   Also, haven't run across Prav Saraff so far.   Who is that?

• I like it 2

On 3/3/2024 at 3:47 PM, smokinjoe said:

I have yet to try anything Green River so I booked a tour on the April trip, might as well try em all at the source. I was put off initially by the O.Z. Tyler lineage and that whole terresentia rapid aging mess but my understanding is that none of the GR branded whiskies have undergone that process.

3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Let us know how those little girls are, eh?   They look so cute!    Never heard of Mammoth Distilling.     Alter ego of some major?   ...Or, independent?   Also, haven't run across Prav Saraff so far.   Who is that?

Its the distillery that predates the original Van Halen distillery.

• I like it 3

46 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Will do!

I never heard of it either.   Prav is a good friend of a buddy of mine.  He owns a LS in DC.     Like everything in DC, the prices at the store are high, but I'm part of a group where we get the same bottles, but cheaper.  A lot of money from the group goes to charity.   He also has a license to re-sell, so there's plenty of tater-bait in the store too with prices ranging from ~ $20.00 to $100K for spirits.   It's only an hour away, but I don't care for DC traffic and parking.   He has great relationships with many distilleries and he, and some of folks from our group, do a lot of picks.   

Years ago,  a friend of mine did a bourbon tasting where we did a bunch of blinds.   Prav pretty much ran the tasting and it was very educational and a blast.  The guy is a hoot!   In addition to whiskey, he does picks with other spirits, but I've only bought American whiskey, scotch & a bottle of rum,.   I'm told his tequila picks are good, but I'll take people's word for it.     

Mammoth is a small distillery in Michigan and I don't know of any backstory, or history.       All I know is that they sourced 12 year Canadian rye while waiting for their own distillate to mature and I wanted to get my hands on some.    A buddy of mine loves the stuff and, based on his recommendation, I snagged a couple.

I'm not sure about the rules for sharing links, but I can message you the link if you care to peruse the stores site.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

Well played......

• I like it 1

Happy to finally find one of these at retail.  Looking forward to trying it.

IMG_8552.jpeg

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Happy to finally find one of these at retail.  Looking forward to trying it.

IMG_8552.jpeg

I don't think that you'll be disappointed...

• I like it 3

Redemption 10yr rye for Fryeday kick off.  

• I like it 6

On 3/6/2024 at 1:44 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Wolfy, is that you?

• I like it 2

Having some WT101 Rye along with a "Lemonades" girl scout cookie.  Perfect combination 🍋 🥃 ✔️

• I like it 3

On 3/3/2024 at 8:51 PM, Davesnothere said:

I looked at the shelves of my local store and sure enough I saw some 128-129 proof bottles.   All I had to do was open my eyes.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Having some WT101 Rye along with a "Lemonades" girl scout cookie.  Perfect combination 🍋 🥃 ✔️

Just had another "Lemonades" girl scout cookie, but now I'm chasing it with a pour of WT Rare Breed Rye.  Okay, this might be a bit too much lemon, lol.

Happy FryeDay SBers!

• I like it 2

Fryeday  bottle kill.  Down to 2 in the bunker.  DANGER--WILL ROBINSON!!!

IMG_20240308_232346__01.jpg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

All I had to do was open my eyes.

That helps every time, it is tried. LOL 😂 

Cheers

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Just had another "Lemonades" girl scout cookie, but now I'm chasing it with a pour of WT Rare Breed Rye.  Okay, this might be a bit too much lemon, lol.

Happy FryeDay SBers!

The famous Lemon note of WT Rye. One day, I hope to be able to enjoy it.  For me, it just doesn’t exist. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers

• I like it 1

THH, earlier. Hard to follow that one, but Pikesville is fitting nicely.  Bubblegum is showing up. First time in a rye, for me. 
Happy FRyeDay. 

Cheers. 

• I like it 1