What rye are you drinking or purchased 2024

Mattk

On 6/7/2024 at 2:25 PM, Anwalt said:

Fryeday has arrived.

Nice lineup.  What is that Catcher's Rye?  I'm not familiar with that one.  I like the wordplay on the name too, that's clever.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Nice lineup.  What is that Catcher's Rye?  I'm not familiar with that one.  I like the wordplay on the name too, that's clever.

It's 100% rye, out of Michigan. 119.5 proof, SP. I would not have tried it in 100 years. I tend to avoid anything that's not mainline (e.g., all those NDP's, etc.).

But. The people here. Faster Horses gave me this one - I loved it. He got me 4 more before they disappeared. $71 with tax.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

It's 100% rye, out of Michigan. 119.5 proof, SP. I would not have tried it in 100 years. I tend to avoid anything that's not mainline (e.g., all those NDP's, etc.).

But. The people here. Faster Horses gave me this one - I loved it. He got me 4 more before they disappeared. $71 with tax.

Thanks for the info sir. I guess I have heard of it before but never knew anything about it.  Is it MGP rye maybe?  Distilled in Indiana? Or does it say distilled in Michigan? 

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Thanks for the info sir. I guess I have heard of it before but never knew anything about it.  Is it MGP rye maybe?  Distilled in Indiana? Or does it say distilled in Michigan?

It says "distilled locally", from 100% MI rye, and David P. Illegible Surname signed it as "Distiller".

I hope I do not lose my Buckeye secret decoder ring.

Just now, Anwalt said:

It says "distilled locally", from 100% MI rye, and David P. Illegible Surname signed it as "Distiller".

Ahh you had said 100% rye so I should have known it was not MGP.  I just missed that ("read twice, write once" applies to me).

Ok thanks sir, I learned about a new whiskey today. 👍

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

I'm a neutral observer but I assume as long as you start calling it "that whiskey up north" you should be fine, lol.

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Or does it say distilled in Michigan? 

Crye 2.jpg

Crye 1.jpg

• I like it 1

On 6/8/2024 at 2:43 PM, Kepler said:

I'm a neutral observer but I assume as long as you start calling it "that whiskey up north" you should be fine, lol.

This fellow Buckeye will accept this solution.

• I like it 1

I decided to have a pour of WT Cornerstone before dinner.

• I like it 4

A, somewhat,  rare weekday pour.

20240612_213324.jpg

• I like it 2

I have been trying to purchase less and using the tried and true taste before buying method which, in GA, will severely limit options as stores here unlike in KY and TN aren't allowed to do tastings. A local tried it as a way to promote their store picks and other choice bottlings unitil the local constabulary shut em down, THANKS A$$HOLES!!!!....Anyway. I love interesting ryes, well hell I love ryes in general and a local couldn't move the Blaum Bros rye at its SRP of 50ish so they put it on sale for 39.99. A 5 yr/92%locally sourced rye/5%SMOKED malt/3%malt aged in air dried cooperage and barreled at 100p? Well that's pretty damn interesting to me. I did my due diligence in trying to find out as much as I could and then pulled the trigger. I am apparently the first customer to have purchased one at that store regardless of price (or so I was told). I'll crack it soon as I'm continuing to let the anticipation build, and I'm too busy and want to sit with it and give it a genuine opportunity to impress.

• I like it 3

They day is nearing where I'll have to post this in the empty bottles forum. I've had quite a few of these, but this is the last I think. They are very good, great even.

20240614_181548.jpg

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Mattk said:

They day is nearing where I'll have to post this in the empty bottles forum. I've had quite a few of these, but this is the last I think. They are very good, great even.

20240614_181548.jpg

Proof and Wood had or has another product I really like - Roulette Rye.  It's 100 proof, sourced from MGP.  It was way better than most of the other sourced MGP options (my opinion). 

• I like it 1

Hard morning on the roofs today, time to open and enjoy  this 2017 rendezvous rye.

20240615_145416.jpg

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

Proof and Wood had or has another product I really like - Roulette Rye.  It's 100 proof, sourced from MGP.  It was way better than most of the other sourced MGP options (my opinion). 

Thanks for that.

I've seen the Roulette Rye on a few shelves around here, but passed. I'll snag one next time.

I know it isn't new but I found some WT101 Rye on sale for $18 so I picked it up.

• I like it 7

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I know it isn't new but I found some WT101 Rye on sale for $18 so I picked it up.

That is a steal

• I like it 1

I'm guessing my 7 year old had a little help with her father's day gift this year.

20240616_122942.jpg

• I like it 7

On 6/15/2024 at 1:08 AM, PaulO said:

23 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks for that.

I've seen the Roulette Rye on a few shelves around here, but passed. I'll snag one next time.

I've also seen Roulette rye on my local shelves but didn't pick up. I have plenty of MGP rye already (mostly several bottles of Redemption 10 yr BP that I bunkered at sale price)... now you are making me wonder if I need to try Roulette.  The price is right so I wouldn't be out much investment either way.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I've also seen Roulette rye on my local shelves but didn't pick up. I have plenty of MGP rye already (mostly several bottles of Redemption 10 yr BP that I bunkered at sale price)... now you are making me wonder if I need to try Roulette.  The price is right so I wouldn't be out much investment either way.

Personally I didn't care for it. I found it had a musty hay note which I found off putting. Plus it drank very young to me. But I've heard others like the roulette a lot, I do suppose it's worth a try. It is quite inexpensive.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

That is a steal

I tried a little last night and didn't love it. 

4 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I tried a little last night and didn't love it. 

I’m always accepting donations. 😁

101 rye is fantastic as a neat sipper.  It has a delicate creaminess to it that I don’t find in any other bottles.

• I like it 2

I was down in Virginia today. Not many stores had this on the website, but the one right near me did. At this point I'm a buyer for every ritt sib I come across. I've had over a dozen and all of them have been good to great.

20240617_165322.jpg

• I like it 1

On 6/16/2024 at 4:26 PM, Kepler said:

I'll put it this way, it's a step up or so up from the the Bulleit or Dickel versions of MGP Rye.  

On 6/16/2024 at 9:36 PM, 0895 said:

I’m always accepting donations. 😁

101 rye is fantastic as a neat sipper.  It has a delicate creaminess to it that I don’t find in any other bottles.

I tried a little more tonight and it is decent. I get a sort of pine or oak shaving vibe to it underpinning some rye notes.

The New Riff SB I poured was also hitting pretty well.