Empty Bottle Suport Group 2024

Harry in WashDC

As predicted last night, this one emptied after doing some vacuuming today.  

image0.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

As predicted last night, this one emptied after doing some vacuuming today.  

image0.jpeg

Well, that sucks. (couldn't resist)

• I like it 3

Clearing out the cabinet as for me, bourbon season is coming to a close. I know, heresy for some of you but i don’t drink a lot of whiskey once the temps get north of 70. Good thing it only hit 60 today.

IMG_0834.jpeg

• I like it 1

I found this bottle, on a hot Oklahoma August day,  while on a dusty hunt, many years ago in OKC.  

This bottle proves, a great whiskey doesn’t require to be high in proof. In fact, lower proofing exposes a whiskey’s insufficiencies.  This whiskey was well crafted by Mr. Parker Beam. 

I will miss this exceptional bourbon.  I’m glad I have the memory of finding this bottle in a tiny store, owned & operated by a mom  and her daughter. 
True Americana. 

Cheers. 

4B9947AF-4DD8-4DC4-ABAD-EA31442F9D81.jpeg

• I like it 5

19 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I found this bottle, on a hot Oklahoma August day,  while on a dusty hunt, many years ago in OKC.  

This bottle proves, a great whiskey doesn’t require to be high in proof. In fact, lower proofing exposes a whiskey’s insufficiencies.  This whiskey was well crafted by Mr. Parker Beam. 

I will miss this exceptional bourbon.  I’m glad I have the memory of finding this bottle in a tiny store, owned & operated by a mom  and her daughter. 
True Americana. 

Cheers. 

4B9947AF-4DD8-4DC4-ABAD-EA31442F9D81.jpeg

I agree with you. Not only that, but while working in OKC from 2010 into 2014 I came across a number of EWSB from 1999 through 2002, of which I still have 6 or 7. 

Pat

This has been a very nice bottle of whiskey.  Everything I look for in the Beam profile, plus the healthy proof.  I’m pretty sure I can count on one hand how many Booker’s I’ve purchased over the years, but my next bottle will come in a much shorter time than any two of the preceding. 😋

IMG_5151.jpeg

• I like it 2

I killed off the apple brandy with a jack rose. I tried lime juice instead of lemon and I decided the lemon is better.

The glenrothes bottle actually had the last of my handle of old Fitz BIB that a friend picked up for me as a housewarming gift right before COVID. RIP Tom.

20240506_210659.jpg

Adios. This was a very good bottle. 

20240507_200026.jpg

• I like it 6

At least the final pour is a healthy one...

OWA.thumb.jpg.3f851e2f6c64366a256d2daa83c32083.jpg

• I like it 9

Faits accomplis. 

Pat

image.thumb.jpeg.97beec1151b0a1aae92c3ced3351d178.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, bayouredd said:

At least the final pour is a healthy one...

OWA.thumb.jpg.3f851e2f6c64366a256d2daa83c32083.jpg

There's nothing healthy about that! :)

• I like it 1

Forget pic. 🤷‍♂️  A HH 7  BIB was deposited in the big brown bin. A bottle of MM was also emptied, but it was refilled from a handle in the cabinet. Said handle might be gone in the near future. 

• I like it 2

On 5/8/2024 at 8:06 PM, Clueby said:

There's nothing healthy about that! :)

Are you sure? I know it doesn't have the vitamins of a Dickel, but come on, corn and wheat are almost a vegan's dreams...😁

• I like it 1

On 5/3/2024 at 5:59 PM, RT Fan said:

Clearing out the cabinet as for me, bourbon season is coming to a close. I know, heresy for some of you but i don’t drink a lot of whiskey once the temps get north of 70. Good thing it only hit 60 today.

Not so strange. I kind of do that in opposite fashion. I drink no beer as the fall cuts in. Fall in the air brings in the brown liquor...

This is a very limited bottle but it was amazing. Wish I had a dozen of them.  
IMG_7419.thumb.jpeg.3ab613ebf6e290aa2ad445e5d8f3e458.jpeg

• I like it 2

Posted (edited)

Recent empties.  I would buy the two on the right again, but not the one on the left.

I was quite disappointed in the standard Frey Ranch bourbon after being very impressed with a private barrel pick shared with me by a generous fellow SBer.  Just goes to show the potential difference between a hand-picked single barrel and a generally-produced small batch product. 

I'm a fan of the Sagamore BiB Rye and the New Riff SiB bourbon.  Will buy both of those again (and have already).

20240422_181037.thumb.jpg.ef038eb80d671ae0ab91a77e4e313cee.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 4

On 5/5/2024 at 8:27 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

I agree with you. Not only that, but while working in OKC from 2010 into 2014 I came across a number of EWSB from 1999 through 2002, of which I still have 6 or 7. 

Pat

Oh man, what finds those were. Now, I know why I didn’t find more of those older EWSiB, back then. I’m glad they found a good home with you. 😀👍

Cheers

21 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Oh man, what finds those were. Now, I know why I didn’t find more of those older EWSiB, back then. I’m glad they found a good home with you. 😀👍

Cheers

Haha, thanks bud.

Pat

Finished off one that I had not touched in a while, and boy was it good to the last drop. A Sarah bottle to boot.

Pat

image.thumb.jpeg.c24b8aa4d039e78d59be61d31e91a413.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7f0cba61f2bc33c27f649ab697b20ab2.jpeg

• I like it 3

My last bottle of Baker's.  I bought a few several years ago when I saw it discounted at $40.  Now it's $60 and I won't be buying again at that price.  It's pretty good but, to me, it's not worth $60. 

Notes: On the nose, I get pencil shavings, vanilla, baking spices, slight banana and apple, charcoal and leather.  Very spicy on the palate with a surprisingly long finish.

Baker's SiB empty2.jpg

58 minutes ago, fosmith said:

My last bottle of Baker's.  I bought a few several years ago when I saw it discounted at $40.  Now it's $60 and I won't be buying again at that price.  It's pretty good but, to me, it's not worth $60. 

Notes: On the nose, I get pencil shavings, vanilla, baking spices, slight banana and apple, charcoal and leather.  Very spicy on the palate with a surprisingly long finish.

Baker's SiB empty2.jpg

I hear ya.  I had picked a couple after the change, and while OK, I stopped due to the price.  But a couple months ago. I picked one up on a whim ($ burning a hole in my pocket…😁), and absolutely loved it.  Went back and picked up more from the same barrel.  The second and third bottle from this same barrel are terrific, too.  For me, it has become a personal palate decision to overcome the price.  I won’t consider another barrel at this time. 

• I like it 1

On 5/16/2024 at 7:00 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Finished off one that I had not touched in a while, and boy was it good to the last drop. A Sarah bottle to boot.

Pat

image.thumb.jpeg.c24b8aa4d039e78d59be61d31e91a413.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7f0cba61f2bc33c27f649ab697b20ab2.jpeg

I know that was a good one.  Sorry for your loss, but good work there.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

Baker's SiB empty2.jpg

I get that the new Baker's single barrel is kinda polarizing (I struggle with it myself, but for me I think it's probably due to a hangup I have in comparison to the old "Small Batch" bottle which I absolutely loved).

Curious, what bourbons do you purchase repeatedly at around $60 that are better?  Or maybe to be fair, maybe my question should be $40-60 that are better (since 40 was the old price that we loved)?  I can only think of a couple myself but I'm probably missing something.

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I hear ya.  I had picked a couple after the change, and while OK, I stopped due to the price.  But a couple months ago. I picked one up on a whim ($ burning a hole in my pocket…😁), and absolutely loved it.  Went back and picked up more from the same barrel.  The second and third bottle from this same barrel are terrific, too.  For me, it has become a personal palate decision to overcome the price.  I won’t consider another barrel at this time. 

I just remember when a lot of us on here used to say that the old Baker's 7 yr "Small Batch" was not a good value at $45.  The majority of bourbon enthusiasts passed on it, saying it was a victim of being the 'odd man out' in comparison to Knob Creek and Booker's (back when Booker's was $50). The old Baker's bottle became a shelf turd and we all saw dust collecting on those black wax tops.  

I'm somewhat guilty too, but for me the bottom line that made me wake up was always:  anytime I ever drank Baker's 7 Small Batch, I always found it to be a damn good tasting bourbon.  Absolutely every bit as good as KC or Booker's, but just different.  Once I accepted that, then I started buying Baker's with no regrets whatsoever, price be damned.

• I like it 2