What bourbon are you drinking this Spring - 2024

markandrex

On 3/26/2024 at 4:26 PM, Anwalt said:

I've heard the BT SP's (this one is Liquor Lineup) are significantly better than the regular. Just opened the bottle, so probably not a perfect parallel comparison. The 2nd ounce.

I can assure you from personal experience that some picks are significantly better.  I have a case from a barrel that is miles better than regular BT (much more depth and complexity).  But those were purchased in 2016.  But other picks I have on hand (more recent) are not necessarily better than regular BT (e.g. one pick I have has a bit too much oak tannins for my liking).   In a word, I've found BT private pick barrels are all over the place profile-wise.  Not consistent. 

But the problem with regular "shelf" BT that I've observed is that sometimes it can just taste too young and grainy for my preferences.

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, Obree said:

Your reach is truly global, my friend!

"My addiction" is more like it!

Just playing cards dealt. Not many stores here where it's worth "building a relationship", so took a different route. It has worked out well all around - fun, get good stuff, meet great people.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I can assure you from personal experience that some picks are significantly better.  I have a case from a barrel that is miles better than regular BT (much more depth and complexity).  But those were purchased in 2016.  But other picks I have on hand (more recent) are not necessarily better than regular BT (e.g. one pick I have has a bit too much oak tannins for my liking).   In a word, I've found BT private pick barrels are all over the place profile-wise.  Not consistent. 

But the problem with regular "shelf" BT that I've observed is that sometimes it can just taste too young and grainy for my preferences.

Very good to know on picks, thank you.

And I feel like I'm learning bit by bit. I caught the young part. The "rough" towards the end might be "grainy"? Probably not, I'll take my 50%.

I like it. I do not love it. It's good for the price.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Very good to know on picks, thank you.

And I feel like I'm learning bit by bit. I caught the young part. The "rough" towards the end might be "grainy"? Probably not, I'll take my 50%.

I like it. I do not love it. It's good for the price.

Yeah I can definitely see that.  For me "grainy" and "rough" could go together and might mean the same thing to someone when describing youngish whiskey.

• I like it 1

Really, experiencing inconsistent profiles between different single barrel private picks should not be surprising.  By its very nature, different palates picking between different single barrels, at different times, surely impacts “consistency”.  
As for current BT, I find it very good, and buy it whenever I see it.  Which isn’t often in these parts!  But, it does drop in around town more often than it used to, but that ain’t saying much because it was a no show for more than a few years…😕

• I like it 2

Speaking of BT store picks.  It was time to refill my 375 store barrel pick bottle from the queen bee bottle.  At one time I think I also had the 750 from the same barrel, but I must have drank it first and tossed it.

20240329_181537.thumb.jpg.053df218c5fc4cf0e5db5e67c35449e3.jpg

• I like it 3

Woodford Reserve. Decent enough but plan to move on to something else.

• I like it 1

Moved to Hard Truth Sweet Mash Straight Bourbon Non-Chill Filtered 90 proof.  Right now, I would take this over MM, OF100 and WT101.  Of course, there is the QPR factor.  HT is around $45 while the others are around $25. Of course, its not an either/or situation.  It can be all of the above.  😀

NAS but most reviews indicate it is probably around 4 years old.  This makes sense because they began distilling in 2018.  

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Moved to Hard Truth Sweet Mash Straight Bourbon Non-Chill Filtered 90 proof.  Right now, I would take this over MM, OF100 and WT101.  Of course, there is the QPR factor.  HT is around $45 while the others are around $25. Of course, its not an either/or situation.  It can be all of the above.  😀

NAS but most reviews indicate it is probably around 4 years old.  This makes sense because they began distilling in 2018.  

Erase this before Fred sees it

• I like it 3

I changed things up last night. I had a couple of pours of HH7 BIB. Nice change.😁

• I like it 2

Well, MM101 I opened did little for me. Granted, neck pour. Just seemed simple, young, a little hot. Not bad. Just...not great.

ECBP A121. Muuuuuch better. Probably one of those "low rated" ones. If so...I think they're nuts. Wonderful mid palate & finish. Heavier oak than I'd have gone for a year or so ago, loving it now. Has a nice "burned" flavor (which I normally dislike). Here it fits, offsets the carmelly sweetness nicely. I'm guessing it's "low" proof by ECBP standards, no burn. Just flavor. Gonna go check the proof, re-read the reviews, and believe my own lying gob.

ECBP A121.jpg

• I like it 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I changed things up last night. I had a couple of pours of HH7 BIB. Nice change.😁

I was also on the HH track last night.  I brought a 6yr. green label up to stock the freezer for the season and decided to try a few before it went in, just for quality control.

I started the morning by removing the glass in the storm doors and installing screens for the season.  Also noticed that the kitchen table was getting wobbly so I tightened up the leg bolts.

I was out around noon today cutting the grass and my neighbor waived me over.  He was watching his girls play on the swing set.  He went into the house and retrieved two glasses and a bottle of his 1980s OGD BiB.  We sat there in the sun enjoying a few pours in 77 degree weather watching his kids play.  What a beautiful day!

Now it may be time for a nap before throwing some chicken on the grill.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 7

Bib & Tucker in the glass.

It was on sale at Va ABC a couple weeks ago.

I've always passed because the cute bottle reeks of tater-bait, but curiosity was killing me and I bought one.

My initial thoughts are...

...It ain't bad, but it ain't good...it's not a drain pour & my son and his friends will like it.😉  

20240330_172259.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 4

I poured another ECBP A121 with a heavy hand.

For I maligned the reviewers. I think they got it right.

And the power of suggestion is strong. They refined my description. Toasted marshmallow and creme brulee (a bit burned, pleasantly so, in my opinion). Yes! That's what I was trying to say!

123 proof, so I got that part right.

All hail Heaven Hill.

Great stuff, well-priced.

• I like it 5

12 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

...It ain't bad, but it ain't good...it's not a drain pour & my son and his friends will like it.😉  

Yeah, I got some of those. Goes to my son, his friends, and friends in South America. I had the same sense with B&T, glad you reported on it.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Yeah, I got some of those. Goes to my son, his friends, and friends in South America. I had the same sense with B&T, glad you reported on it.

I cannot, in good conscious,  recommend it.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Well, MM101 I opened did little for me. Granted, neck pour. Just seemed simple, young, a little hot. Not bad. Just...not great.

I hear you.  Maker's is definitely simple.  Most wheaters are in my experience (exceptions are RY10 and well aged Weller like the 12 yr and WLW).  If you are looking for the full complex bourbon experience, MM isn't it.  However I enjoy it when I'm in the mood for some of that "doughiness" (if that is a word) that only wheaters can provide.  Similar to eating a slice of bread.  Sometimes simple bread hits the spot.

• I like it 4

My first pour was my dusty 10 yo Pure Kentucky XO.  While the syrupy mouthfeel on that one is always a delight, the slight musty varnish note on this just wasn't quite hitting the spot tonight. 

Switched to a younger whiskey instead.  JJ Bowman single barrel.  The more down the middle bourbon notes on this are suiting me better now.  JJB is always on point for me.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

I was also on the HH track last night.  I brought a 6yr. green label up to stock the freezer for the season and decided to try a few before it went in, just for quality control.

I started the morning by removing the glass in the storm doors and installing screens for the season.  Also noticed that the kitchen table was getting wobbly so I tightened up the leg bolts.

I was out around noon today cutting the grass and my neighbor waived me over.  He was watching his girls play on the swing set.  He went into the house and retrieved two glasses and a bottle of his 1980s OGD BiB.  We sat there in the sun enjoying a few pours in 77 degree weather watching his kids play.  What a beautiful day!

Now it may be time for a nap before throwing some chicken on the grill.

That sounds like a great day!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Erase this before Fred sees it

😮😀 I just opened the Hard Truth Four Grain I bought today.  It is even better 😉  I have never had a 4-grain bourbon before.  This is really good.  It is 78% corn, 9% rye, 9% wheat, and % malted barley.  It is a sweet mash bourbon.  Of course, I will never get again for the same price I paid today.  It is normally around $65.  I bought it today for $28 due to a sale and the clerk accidently scanning a cheaper Hard Truth bottle twice when I was checking.  I didn't notice until I got home.

Note - to all the Cheap Bastards. Chatting up the store clerk, your wife and the hot mombehind you in line at the same time often leads to good things.  😮😜😉😀Today's topic was Easter Eggs.  The hot mom behind me was buying a single dozen of eggs.  I just had to talk with her about this singular purchase.  Her son had used two eggs set aside for Easter eggs.  She sent him to the store to buy another carton and he came back with brown eggs.  His little sister wasn't going to understand why the Easter Bunny brought brown eggs.  The clerk got lost in the discussion.  She ended up scanning the same bottle twice since both bottles had the same unique cork.  Howver, one bottle was $65 while the other was $38.  My wife just laughed because I do this s..t all the time. 

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Bib & Tucker in the glass.

It was on sale at Va ABC a couple weeks ago.

I've always passed because the cute bottle reeks of tater-bait, but curiosity was killing me and I bought one.

My initial thoughts are...

20240330_172259.jpg

Is that one of those free Woodford Reserve glasses or did you actually pay for it?  😀

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I bought a bottle of the new HH BIB just because I was thinking what would Joe do?  At $33, it was worth the price of admission.  It has been a few years since I have had the old HH6 BIB but this seems different...better.   I see it regularly at Costco for around $42, if I remember correctly.  However, I believe I can find it for same price that I did today when the retailer where I bought it has their quarterly sale. 

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Is that one of those free Woodford Reserve glasses or did you actually pay for it?  😀

Good eye.

I was gifted a WR gift set.

I re-gifted the whiskey & kept the glass.😁

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good eye.

I was gifted a WR gift set.

I re-gifted the whiskey & kept the glass.😁

Oh, I could go so far off the deep end but I am a restrained sort of guy.  

Short story.  This glass replaced my old favorite Buffalo glass which broke in the dishwasher over the winter.  As one of my friends asked, why do you wash your whiskey glasses?  See what happens when you take unnecesaary actions.  😀

• I like it 1