What bourbon are you drinking this Spring - 2024

markandrex

14 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

😮😀 I just opened the Hard Truth Four Grain I bought today.  It is even better 😉  I have never had a 4-grain bourbon before.  This is really good.  It is 78% corn, 9% rye, 9% wheat, and % malted barley.  It is a sweet mash bourbon.  Of course, I will never get again for the same price I paid today.  It is normally around $65.  I bought it today for $28 due to a sale and the clerk accidently scanning a cheaper Hard Truth bottle twice when I was checking.  I didn't notice until I got home.

Note - to all the Cheap Bastards. Chatting up the store clerk, your wife and the hot mombehind you in line at the same time often leads to good things.  😮😜😉😀Today's topic was Easter Eggs.  The hot mom behind me was buying a single dozen of eggs.  I just had to talk with her about this singular purchase.  Her son had used two eggs set aside for Easter eggs.  She sent him to the store to buy another carton and he came back with brown eggs.  His little sister wasn't going to understand why the Easter Bunny brought brown eggs.  The clerk got lost in the discussion.  She ended up scanning the same bottle twice since both bottles had the same unique cork.  Howver, one bottle was $65 while the other was $38.  My wife just laughed because I do this s..t all the time. 

Haha great story.

Now if only they sold bourbon at grocery stores here where I live.  Not as many hot moms at my local liquor stores, haha

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I bought a bottle of the new HH BIB just because I was thinking what would Joe do?  At $33, it was worth the price of admission.  It has been a few years since I have had the old HH6 BIB but this seems different...better.   I see it regularly at Costco for around $42, if I remember correctly.  However, I believe I can find it for same price that I did today when the retailer where I bought it has their quarterly sale. 

Thanks and agreed. 

I think it's better than the 6-year, but not "$30.00 better" 

I'd have bought a couple bottles at $33.00.

I wish our Costco sold liquor.  We could drive to the DC store , but the traffic blows...the only time we hit that one is if we're in the neighborhood..

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Oh, I could go so far off the deep end but I am a restrained sort of guy.  

Short story.  This glass replaced my old favorite Buffalo glass which broke in the dishwasher over the winter.  As one of my friends asked, why do you wash your whiskey glasses?  See what happens when you take unnecesaary actions.  😀

🤣

That old BT glass with the raised buffalo is my favorite rocks glass.

I find myself using the WR glass a lot too.

Not a big fan of WR bourbon, but I really like their rye.

I'll always have a soft spot for Woodford, because it was the first distillery that we've ever visited. The grounds, and distillery,  are beautiful.

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks and agreed. 

I think it's better than the 6-year, but not "$30.00 better" 

I'd have bought a couple bottles at $33.00.

I wish our Costco sold liquor.  We could drive to the DC store , but the traffic blows...the only time we hit that one is if we're in the neighborhood..

I would have bought more but honestly probalby something else since I was looking for variety.  I wasn't going to walk out of the store with more than 6 bottles without getting the evil eye.  I also needed to give it a try.  I went back to it for my third and final pour tonight.   After tomorrow, I go dry for a day...ok, a week.  I am trying to have a dry week each month.  

• I like it 1

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

🤣

That old BT glass with the raised buffalo is my favorite rocks glass.

I find myself using the WR glass a lot too.

Not a big fan of WR bourbon, but I really like their rye.

I'll always have a soft spot for Woodford, because it was the first distillery that we've ever visited. The grounds, and distillery,  are beautiful.

Same. I have  1.75 L that was gifted at Christmas.  I had a pour last night and enjoyed it.  However, it is not a bourbon that is high on my interest list.  The same person had gifted me a WR Wheat Whiskey the year before and it was great.  I also prefer WR Rye over the bourbon.  

• I like it 2

OF15 after dinner.

• I like it 3

HH6  90 green label..been on a rye kick lately but had this open. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Haha great story.

Now if only they sold bourbon at grocery stores here where I live.  Not as many hot moms at my local liquor stores, haha

See, come to Indiana.  We have Bourbon in the grocery stores, at bargain prices, and hot moms.

Plus we're going to see a total eclipse on April 8.  🥃😎

• I like it 2

Putting a dent in the Wild Turkey 101 handle tonight.  Fitting bourbon for a day that included such Regular Joe-type tasks as an oil change on the Ford and the lawn tractor. 

Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it!  

• I like it 5

Yesterday was Doc Swinson, WT 101 and a Calumet 10. All while watching the Miami open. 

• I like it 3

Happy Easter All !!!

Posting this, then walking out to my gazebo in the beautiful weather with a cigar & OWA from the freezer to wait on my Boston Butt which is now resting on a closed down smoker. Mrs. Redd has the baked potatoes ratcheting up to lie beneath the pulled pork...

~Tennyson~  (if he were still around)

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 7

55 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Happy Easter All !!!

Posting this, then walking out to my gazebo in the beautiful weather with a cigar & OWA from the freezer to wait on my Boston Butt which is now resting on a closed down smoker. Mrs. Redd has the baked potatoes ratcheting up to lie beneath the pulled pork...

~Tennyson~  (if he were still around)

That is a perfect day.

Happy Easter!

• I like it 1

Happy Easter, all!

4R OESQ, 10y, 8m.

4r.jpg

• I like it 5

Back to my love ECBP, here B522. I'd mistake this one for a Beam product. It's got the peanutty note at end. Not as strong as with Beam, and certainly not the raw intensity of something like Bookers. More complex, more age, a touch lighter. But still...a bit of peanut in there.

ECBP B522.jpg

• I like it 3

Busted open a Blanton's Gold for my after dinner mint. Many thanx to the greatest mule known to mankind; Anwalt. The 1st toast goes to he. 2nd toast goes to this wonderful Easter holiday. And finally the 3rd goes to the SB Community for all of the support, comradery and enabling at it's finest.

Cheers!!!

• I like it 7

OK, the ECBP just had a mere note of peanuts. For the real deal...well, I went the the source. Difference of magnitude duly noted!

Bookers 2015-2.jpg

• I like it 4

42 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Busted open a Blanton's Gold for my after dinner mint. Many thanx to the greatest mule known to mankind; Anwalt. The 1st toast goes to he. 2nd toast goes to this wonderful Easter holiday. And finally the 3rd goes to the SB Community for all of the support, comradery and enabling at it's finest.

Cheers!!!

Happy to have been of use, happy to do it again. As long as Wifeys are there and some of those delectable Manhattans/Old Fashioned's are involved.

And cheers to all 3 toasts, especially 2 & 3. Heck of a group here.

Happy Easter!

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 3

Four Roses Small Batch was on the bar at my sister's house for Easter brunch today. "Sweet scented stuff when the breeze drew across it"--Robert Frost

Sorry, @bayouredd.  You started it with Tennyson.

Judging from the fill level on that bottle by the time we left, I'm not the only one in the family with a fondness for potent potables.

• I like it 4

Bardstown Batch from Bookers this evening.  A beautiful Easter Sunday with rain coming in tomorrow.  

• I like it 3

image.thumb.jpeg.1881a7709b35ecc94f3b747620e94660.jpegI

I always have  bottle of Woodford for the KY Derby which this year will be the day before my birthday.  I have picked up their 150 annivesary bottle.  It will go to the RV resort as it will open May 1 and I plan to be set up and ready for the Derby.  I also picked up a bottel of Penelope Rose cask finished bourbon.  It is my first 4 grain bourbon and I thought the Rose Cask would have  a bigger influence but it is very subtle and mostly a slight sweet/floral note on the finish.  All in all a good drinker though

• I like it 1

News Flash - VOB 90 out of the freezer is EXCELLENT!!! Found my Spring/Summer 2024 freezer pour. Prepping now...

• I like it 3