What bourbon are you drinking this Spring - 2024

markandrex

12 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yeah, but there is the old man quotient.  Bed time is 7 pm.  8 pm on weekends, right after HeeHaw or Laurence Welk on Saturdays and the Wonderful World of Disney or 60 minutes on Sunday depending on your preference.  🤪

Are you having a flashback to 60 years ago?  🤔

• I like it 3

On 4/13/2024 at 9:46 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Lots of yard work today as well.  More tomorrow. Busy weekend.  In addition to puppy school this morning, we are puppy sitting my son's two dogs this weekend while he and his wife are attending medical continuing education classes in San Diego.  Four dogs, all of whom want to sleep in the family room which means I have to sleep on the love seat, not once, not twice, not three times, but four times this weekend since they each seem to have separate middle of the night potty times. 😮

Finishing the evening with a nice pour FRSiB. 

Is amazing what we do for animal friends.  Sleeping in a ball on one side of the bed so The Cats don’t leave the bed, keeping the leash close by at night so the puppy gets to go outside even if she just wants to look at the stars.  Unconditional love is tough.  I hope it is reciprocated.🤪

Members of the cult know THIS drill - finishing off  4RSmBSelect while watching ancient Monk and Perry Mason reruns.  HOW does 4R manage to keep this release so damn fruity, complex, spicy, chewy without charging $400 a pop?  It may be too sweet for some, but I could drink it like cool ade if it didn’t put me to sleep first.😁

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Is amazing what we do for animal friends.  Sleeping in a ball on one side of the bed so The Cats don’t leave the bed, keeping the leash close by at night so the puppy gets to go outside even if she just wants to look at the stars.  Unconditional love is tough.  I hope it is reciprocated.🤪

Members of the cult know THIS drill - finishing off  4RSmBSelect while watching ancient Monk and Perry Mason reruns.  HOW does 4R manage to keep this release so damn fruity, complex, spicy, chewy without charging $400 a pop?  It may be too sweet for some, but I could drink it like cool ade if it didn’t put me to sleep first.😁

When this first came out I tried it at the distillery and it was like bourbon Whack-a mole, with different flavors popping up then disappearing, I found it disjointed. A couple years later I tried it again and purchased a bottle as it seemed much more integrated.....the bourbon.....me.....who knows???? It has since then joined the canon of 4R favorites, there is always one here and open to be enjoyed.

• I like it 1

Getting to be that time. Today Redwood Empire Pipedream in the glass.

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Huh?? I'm too lazy to GTSB.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

After I don't know how many days of rain, my backyard was turning into a hay field.  It took two days of mowing.  I'm done.  Time to celebrate, opening an EW B.I.B., pouring over an ice ball.

• I like it 2

Back in PR, getting something a little sippy.

shenks.jpg

• I like it 3

57 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Huh?? I'm too lazy to GTSB.

Prost!!  Phil 

I'm usually pretty good with the acronyms but you have me stumped ( or its the WT 101 I have transitioned to....damn if it doesn't trounce most any other pour!!) Anywho...Its a beautiful N. GA day and I injured my hand yesterday continuing to install a new garage door opener!! So its inside for me and enjoying some Monday pours  after a VERY busy work from home day.

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

After I don't know how many days of rain, my backyard was turning into a hay field.  It took two days of mowing.  I'm done.  Time to celebrate, opening an EW B.I.B., pouring over an ice ball.

I know! I cut grass Saturday with the mower deck at the highest setting.   With rain forecast over the next few days, I cut again tonight with the mower deck at the highest setting. At this rate, I have to cut grass any dry days we get.

I believe I heard on the news this is one of the rainiest starts to April in history.

I am sitting on the deck with a pour of FRSiB on a nice spring evening. 

• I like it 3

Having some Remus Repeal Reserve b.V this evening on the deck enjoying a beautiful afternoon/evening.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I'm usually pretty good with the acronyms but you have me stumped 

Some family slang there Kevin...Google that shit bitch.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

What the hay . . .? Got to look this one up.

watching Nats at Dodgers while sipping (hahahaha) on OGD BIB.  Bought four last week to replenish a depleted stock.  I think I lost one - cannot find that 4th.   Maybe in my sock drawer . . .🫤

Edited by Harry in WashDC
SPACE between I and LOST ,
  • I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

What the hay . . .? Got to look this one up.

watching Nats at Dodgers while sipping (hahahaha) on OGD BIB.  Bought four last week to replenish a depleted stock.  I think I lost one - cannot find that 4th.   Maybe in my sock drawer . . .🫤

WHOA!  Boy howdy, just looked up the Redwood Empire.   Looks like this NDP has an exceptional blender.  I’m buying again after working down clunkers in my bunker, and RE is on the short list.  One bottle, though; got to watch my weight.😇

• I like it 1

Holladay Soft Red Wheat is tasting mighty fine. 

• I like it 4

MM 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 1

KC9, Green River, OF 1920. All so different, all so good. 

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WHOA!  Boy howdy, just looked up the Redwood Empire.   Looks like this NDP has an exceptional blender.  I’m buying again after working down clunkers in my bunker, and RE is on the short list.  One bottle, though; got to watch my weight.😇

It was a gift after doing some work for someone. Its a nice weekday pour.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Phil T said:

Some family slang there Kevin...Google that shit bitch.

Prost!!  Phil 

Doh!! Well that makes a hell of a lot more sense (to me) than what acronym finder though it should be.....WTF!! and LOL!!! GM (Genetically Modified) Glyphosate-Tolerant Soya Bean 

On 4/14/2024 at 9:29 PM, Richnimrod said:

I was searching through the shelves for some "good stuff" to take to Bardstown in a couple weex (less, actually!).   I came across a mostly full bottle of Barterhouse 20-yr.    I couldn't recall why it was pushed so far back in the closet, but, I decided that it might be a candidate for B'town.   I eased a nice pour into a glencairn, and set it aside for about 15-minutes to 'air out a bit'.   I began by sniffing the aroma: Very Nice, rich, complex, the 20-years was evident.   The color was gorgeous!    I took a little in my mouth and rolled it around a bit.   THEN, I knew why it was still on that back shelf for so many years.   Man!  That stuff is WOODY!   I'd say it might be about 6-to-8 years too long in the barrel.   On the upside(s) the nose was still quite enjoyable, and the finish was stupendously long, and as it evolved it became pretty nice.   I did a couple more sips over the next 1/2-hour, concentrating on that nose and that finish.  ...Then, I poured it into a bigger glass and drowned it in Vernors.

Sorry to miss it this year. You (and others too) brought some great stuff. That Bookers and ECBP. Mmmmmmmm.

So. 

The Jefferson Ocean rye I posted under open bottles...good, not wow. Just not much to say on it. But IS the neck pour. And I have changed my mind on bottles that have sat post-opening before.

The Still Austin 4y CS. Wow. I cannot believe there's that much oak (and not in a bad way) on the finish of a 4y. This thing has flavor, even on a neck pour. Especially mid palate and finish. I'd guess higher rye than, say, ECBP, I'll have to look. I'm getting spice. I wonder if these will hit stores. 

There's something to this "aging in fast in Texas" thing. At least for the whiskey. 

I want to come back this one and provide a better description.

Edited by Anwalt

25 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

The Jefferson Ocean rye I posted under open bottles...good, not wow. Just not much to say on it. But IS the neck pour. And I have changed my mind on bottles that have sat post-opening before.

I actually like the Jeff Rye. Maybe because it's almost NOT a rye. Very sweet. It an itch scratcher, at least for me...

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

I actually like the Jeff Rye. Maybe because it's almost NOT a rye. Very sweet. It an itch scratcher, at least for me...

I did not get the sweetness.

But "neck pour". It just tasted a little hot (in spite of the low proof) and plain. 

Will have at it again in a few weeks. I've had so many bottles "change" after a spell of being open that I've learned to withhold judgment.

The sweetest one so far for me has been Old Overholt CS 10y. Barely legal and really, really good. 

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

• I like it 1

On 4/11/2024 at 5:06 PM, flahute said:

A year ago or so I saw that @IamMatt had a son living here in Seattle and that he visited from time to time so told him to let me know when he was in town. As Matt likes to say he 'threatened' to buy me a drink when it happened! Well it happened last night as we continued the long tradition of forum members meeting up for a pour.

What a wonderful time! Matt and his wife are such kind and hospitable people. Matt wanted to go to Canon for obvious reasons so we parked at the bar for a couple pours.

I started with a JD12 because I haven't seen or tried it yet. Fantastic pour. Will buy on sight if I see it.

I followed with a HMcK 10 BIB from.......2009. Wow, just remarkable. It clearly had bourbon over 10yrs in it but was not even close to being too oaky.

Matt was true to his word and bought not just one but both of my pours. Thank you good sir and a true pleasure to meet you both. We will do this again!

It was such a pleasure to meet you, Steve, and since we try to visit our son a few times a year, I hope we can do it again. 

• I like it 1

On 4/14/2024 at 1:19 PM, markandrex said:

I just got home from a neighbor’s wake/celebration of life.  He was a really great guy that cancer just devastated him in six months.

i decided to have a glass in his honor and several neighbors are cutting grass so, ER10 it is. 
To Earl!🥃

I will raise my glass tonight and toast your friend.  To Earl!

• I like it 1

A little delayed but when I met up with Flahute in Seattle last week, I tried Rebel 10-yr (really enjoyed it) and McKenzie bourbon (not to my taste).

• I like it 2