Tequila

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

James, IMO you can not go wrong with Milagro Blanco or (silver), there Anejo is one of my favorites. Good luck.

Tony

Thanks Tony, that's the push I needed. I saw the Milagro Silver won double gold at the SF Spirits championship and was thinking about pulling the trigger. At $30 it is priced right for a mixer. The Partida Anejo is really great but a bit pricey at $64 for a mixer - I'll drink that one neat once I get the Milagro.

Thanks again.

James, IMO you can not go wrong with Milagro Blanco or (silver), there Anejo is one of my favorites. Good luck.

Tony

I second Tony's recommendation for the Milagro Silver. It's usually $30 here, but the OLCC frequently runs a "monthly special" on it (3 of the last 4 months), pricing it at $26. We stock up.

• 1 month later...

Last night I had EL Tesoro Reposado at a friends place and it was a very fine sipping Tequila. Also tried his Milagro and 1800 Reposados which didn't really compare. Came home and finished up with some ORVW 10/107.

I've been enjoying some El Jimador Reposado, which is pretty tasty for $23.

El Jimador is Herradura's mixto brand.

Last night I had EL Tesoro Reposado at a friends place and it was a very fine sipping Tequila. Also tried his Milagro and 1800 Reposados which didn't really compare. Came home and finished up with some ORVW 10/107.

I also purchased El Tesoro Reposado as well as the Silver. I've only had 2 other tequilas. The El Tesoro Reposado was far better than the previous ones I owned.

I also used the Silver in making a margarita. I used a recipe from Robert Hess. (Not sure if its ok to post his website). I've made other margaritas before. But his ratio and the silver tequila from El Tesoro made a ridiculously great margarita!

I was recently at a wine tasting and one of the tables actually had spirits. The only bourbon was Knob Creek so I passed on it. They did offer El Tesoro's 70th anniversary 7 year extra aged anejo. Very light for a 7 year so I assume it was aged in used barrels. Very nice tasting, lots of vanilla and oak. Reminded me a lot of the DJ1942. Nice pour, but just not worth the price tag of $170. The regular El Tesoro anejo is my house pour for people wishing to explore and try a good tequila.

Hello All,

Another 100 proof tequila is Don Fulano Blanco Fuerte. Available in 80 or 100 proof, hand blown bottle and 100% Agave. I have enclosed a picture of the bottle.

Another great tequila if you like the woody ones is Chinaco Negro Extra Anejo. The whole Chinaco line is a spicy style of Tequila compared to most others.

I also enjoy the El Tesoro line. I tend to prefer silvers/blancos because they tend to show their earthy notes more. NO WOOD influence. I always have DJ1942 in the house, along with Chinaco, El Tesoro, and the Espolon Reposado.

Dave

I am definitely an anejo guy. I do like rposado or blanco in a nice homemade margarita, but not for sipping. I have tried them I just seem to prefer a more mellow and oaky tequila.

With that said, I have and half finished my bottle of Chinaco Emperador. I think its good, but a ridiculous price tag for its contents. I have a Chinaco Negro Extra anejo unopened. Ill get to it eventually. ET is one of my favorite lines with Paradiso being the star. I love that tequila although it seems the earlier bottlings are much better than the new wax dipped bottles. Had the Espolon anejo and enjoyed it. Good for the $$.

I was in a store today and noticed that the new shipments of El Jimador blanco/reposado are back to 100% agave. The new bottle shape is taller and slimmer. I still have an unopened liter bottle of their 100% agave blanco from years ago.

I was in a store today and noticed that the new shipments of El Jimador blanco/reposado are back to 100% agave.

That's really good news!!!

I was in a store today and noticed that the new shipments of El Jimador blanco/reposado are back to 100% agave. The new bottle shape is taller and slimmer. I still have an unopened liter bottle of their 100% agave blanco from years ago.

It could be good news. I am in the process of compiling a list of tequilas that were once great and where the latest production pales in comparison to the original juice.

gblick you can find that list on the tequila forum as I noticed you are a member of both forums.

Very light for a 7 year so I assume it was aged in used barrels.

Aren't all tequilas aged in used barrels? Hence the almost Scotch like character some of the extra anejos get. That's definitely the impression I've always had.

On the subject of 100 proofers, 1800 (Cuervo) has a new Silver that is 100 proof and it is pretty damn good! I really like the higher proof tequilas I think you get more flavor and hope to keep seeing more and more introduced. I'll have to look for this Don Fulano, good to see it is 100% agave, anything that isn't does not come home with me!

I'm surprised by this. The bottle I bought a couple of weeks ago is not 100% agave. It's also quite tasty. I'm not sure why they would do that. The bottle I have does identify it as a Casa Herradura product, distributed by Brown-Forman. If El Jimador is 100% agave, then why spend twice as much for Herradura?

By the way, the El Jimador Reposado has been going fast at Casa Cowdery, and I rarely reach for anything except bourbon.

I'm surprised by this. The bottle I bought a couple of weeks ago is not 100% agave. It's also quite tasty. I'm not sure why they would do that. The bottle I have does identify it as a Casa Herradura product, distributed by Brown-Forman. If El Jimador is 100% agave, then why spend twice as much for Herradura?

It may be a Canada thing, but I'll be on the look-out here. I know the Herradura reposado and anjeo are aged longer than the Il Jimador equivalents, but it's hard to guess what "quality" differences there could be since it's produced at the same distillery. The only way to make it cheaper is to make it mixto.

I also purchased El Tesoro Reposado as well as the Silver. I've only had 2 other tequilas. The El Tesoro Reposado was far better than the previous ones I owned.

I also used the Silver in making a margarita. I used a recipe from Robert Hess. (Not sure if its ok to post his website). I've made other margaritas before. But his ratio and the silver tequila from El Tesoro made a ridiculously great margarita!

I make my Margarita's using Partida's Agave nectar for sweetness. I follow the recipe on the bottle and it is quite good.

Tonight I enjoyed some Partida Anejo neat which is always smooth and quite enjoyable.

El Jimador vs Herradura

*El jimador is a mixto but they also offer 100% Agave!!

Below I have outlined some differences in El Jimador (Mixto) vs Herradura

FERMENTATION

EJ is for 72 hours vs H fermented at 96 hours

DISTILLATION

EJ lasts 5 hours vs Herradura at 6 hours

After the 2nd distillation Herradura is 46%abv (92 proof)

After the 2nd distillation El jimador is 48%abv (96 proof)

AGING

Herradura silver aged 45 days / Reposado aged 11 months

El jimador blanco unaged / Reposado aged 2 months

One of the bigger factors is the Agave Terrior (where it is from which region valley vs Mountains) this really influence the flavor profile.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally bought another tequila today. After reading many reviews on Tequila.net I decided to go with Gran Centenario Reposado.

I picked up a replacement bottle of their Plata so I'm sitting here with a glass of each. Aside from a fleeting vanilla that melds well with the 'pepper' and a smoothing of the edges the two iterations are, to my inexperienced 'tequila palate', identical, which is what I was hoping for. I love the agave taste. I wouldn't want that covered up. I can't make up my mind which one I like better.

I was almost persuaded to buy a bottle of the Herradura Reposado when I saw a Christmas gift pack that included a glass. I think I'll head out to a Mexican restaurant within the next few days and try a pour before buying a bottle.

This thread has prompted me to taste some tequila, something I do only rarely.

I poured some 4 Copas Blanco in my Whiskey Keller Bourbon Street glass (a copita-style glass and I can't recall now where I got this, I think it was at a whisky festival). I added a large cube of ice.

The taste was quite strong at first (I am not used to tequila) but now I can see its allure, the taste is complex, sweetish, with grassy and herbal notes, pepper too.

Gary

I spend some time reading through this thread and have enjoyed it.

I know almost nothing about Tequila however did have some interesting experiences in Mexico years ago when I used to travel there for business.

Some of the mexican businessmen used to poke some fun at me since a lot of gringo's are known to knock back shots of Jose Cuervo. First off I found that Cuervo is not too well regarded in Mexico and secondly that Tequila should be sipped not tossed back as you sometimes see in the states.

I did manage to sip a variety of nice Tequilas while I was there and recall that I especially liked Don Julio. I first had Don Julio while dining at El Gaucho which is an Argentine Steak House and is amazing by the way. The Don Julio is served chilled in a tall shot glass. Along with it they serve Sangrita to sip along with the Tequila. It was very good... matter of fact, I may pick up a bottle and give it another go.

• 3 weeks later...

After about the forth or Fifth uncorking of this bottle of El Tesoro Platinum (blanco) The synthetic cork came unglued from the wooden top. I had a hell of a time getting the rubber stopper out.

The stopper fit so snugly the bottle would jerk when I pulled it out. I use to think that synthetic corks for spirits were a good Idea, but if they have to be made this snug maybe it isn't such a good Idea. Synthetic corks on a wine bottle only have to come out once.......but a bottle of spirits....

I'm liking screw caps more and more these days............

This thread has prompted me to taste some tequila, something I do only rarely.

I poured some 4 Copas Blanco in my Whiskey Keller Bourbon Street glass (a copita-style glass and I can't recall now where I got this, I think it was at a whisky festival). I added a large cube of ice.

The taste was quite strong at first (I am not used to tequila) but now I can see its allure, the taste is complex, sweetish, with grassy and herbal notes, pepper too.

Gary

I had that 4 Copas Blanco this summer and it was excellent.... it was the Tequila that opened my eyes to how good a Tequila could be.

Tonight I'm enjoying some Partida Anejo after a bunch of Islay Scotches...

James, How do the 4 Copas offerings compare to El Tesoro?

Since buying a bottle of El Tesoro repasado and a bottle of the blanco the Gran Centenario tequilas taste sweet, too sweet, even the blanco. My wife even commented on how sweet the GC blanco tasted when I gave her a sip of the El Tesoro and then had her try the GC. A few days ago she even requested that I make our Margaritas with the ET platinum. We've never made them at home and I can't recall having one in a restaurant. I used a 2:1:1 ratio. I had mine straight up and she had hers on the rocks. I liked it, but she thought they were a bit too strong with tequila. She liked it better after the ice melted some. I plan on experimenting further when we have tacos for supper again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.