Tequila

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I forgot to thank Vange for his little list of tequila types. It actually came in very useful for me.

In another thread I was complaining about most of my liquor having a smell that's similar to fingernail polish. Others referred to it as an "acetone" smell. It goes away when I let the drink aerate for a while before drinking.

I've noticed that the Herradura Anejo doesn't have that smell at all.

But more than this, there is another reason I love the Herradura. Long before I noticed that Herradura lacks this acetone smell, I noticed that I feel much better the morning after drinking Herradura, compared to how I feel after drinking anything else.

As a matter of fact, sometimes I feel better the day after Herradura, than I would've felt had I abstained from drink. I know of many who would be skeptical of this. I became intentionally skeptical myself, just so I wasn't unintentionally creating a psychosomatic effect; wishfully thinking myself into thinking I was feeling better; psyching myself into thinking my favorite drink is actually good for me.

I guess anyone else skeptical of my claim could come up with another explanation. For example, maybe I just sleep lightly in general, but on a night when I sip alcohol I achieve a deeper level of sleep. In fairness there may be something to that.

But there's something singularly unique about Herradura. It really acts like a medicinal tonic for me. There have been instances where I was having some minor (very minor) health things going on. A bout of hay fever, a canker sore outbreak, lower back goes out of whack, common cold, etc. Things that, once they hit me, usually take a few days to run their course.

You know how you can usually gauge your health, and if you got something minor like that, you can make a good guess about your expectation that the condition may linger for a day or three before its completely gone.

Some may think I'm crazy, but in many cases, drinking Herradura has been a bit like finding the correct herbal tea for what's been bugging me. The morning after having a bit the night before, I wake up feeling much better than expetcted; that is, healed up quicker and more completely than expected. I guess a good analogy is that it seem to live up to the claims made about menudo.

But there's something singularly unique about Herradura. It really acts like a medicinal tonic for me. Some may think I'm crazy, but in many cases, drinking Herradura has been a bit like finding the correct herbal tea for what's been bugging me. The morning after having a bit the night before, I wake up feeling much better than expetcted; that is, healed up quicker and more completely than expected. I guess a good analogy is that it seem to live up to the claims made about menudo.

I've been meaning to ask. Has anyone tried the Corralejo line of tequila? I've been seeing it around a lot more lately and I'm intrigued. Their bottles are really attractive and the line is priced quite nicely as well (usually in the upper $20's or low $30's depending upon the retailer and sales that may take place).

I've tried the Repo, Repo tripple distilled, and Anejo. Myt thoughts are that the brand has a strong peppery taste and tends to be light on the oak at each aging point tending to accentuated the agave.

Enjoyed some Cazadores Anejo last night. Sweeter than the Herradura Anejo and a bit silkier in texture but still enough agave shining through the oak. Nice bottle too!

I've tried the Repo, Repo tripple distilled, and Anejo. Myt thoughts are that the brand has a strong peppery taste and tends to be light on the oak at each aging point tending to accentuated the agave.

I've wondered how a triple distilled product can do that. I've heard a lot of good things about the Casa Noble line but shied away from trying it since it is triple distilled.

Any Idea what the final proof off the still is?

• 2 weeks later...
I've wondered how a triple distilled product can do that. I've heard a lot of good things about the Casa Noble line but shied away from trying it since it is triple distilled.

Any Idea what the final proof off the still is?

Not sure about the proof off the still, but Casa Noble is probably the best tasting brand of Tequila I've tried.

• 4 months later...

I got back recently from an 9 day stay in Michoacan, Mexico. Our hosts did all of the buying and I just went with the flow. The tequila for the first 7 days was mixer quality to me. I think El Compadre was one. On the first night I told our host that I don't usually mix spirits and I tried to muscle down a "limpia" - neat pour. Very rough. I was mixing my a## off after that and drinking "Jarritos Locos."

On the second to last night a 1800 Reposada appeared and I couldn't get enough. I seem to remember a sort of cherry flavor. The last day was 1800 Anejo and I was loving that as well. It seemed very complex. With 7 days of the rough stuff, these two were set up pretty well to be appreciated. I looked on one website and the reviews seemed so-so but I know I enjoyed both immensely. I will be buying one of these soon.

I got back recently from an 9 day stay in Michoacan, Mexico. Our hosts did all of the buying and I just went with the flow. The tequila for the first 7 days was mixer quality to me. I think El Compadre was one. On the first night I told our host that I don't usually mix spirits and I tried to muscle down a "limpia" - neat pour. Very rough. I was mixing my a## off after that and drinking "Jarritos Locos."

On the second to last night a 1800 Reposada appeared and I couldn't get enough. I seem to remember a sort of cherry flavor. The last day was 1800 Anejo and I was loving that as well. It seemed very complex. With 7 days of the rough stuff, these two were set up pretty well to be appreciated. I looked on one website and the reviews seemed so-so but I know I enjoyed both immensely. I will be buying one of these soon.

I gotta say, Siete Leguas is my favorite still. Loads, and loads of fruit with terrific spice from the agave. Hand-picked agave's from Los Altos sure make for tons of flavor.:grin:

(This must be a contender for oldest active SB thread, being about 5 1/2 years old).

Tequila and cognac are spirits I have never quite come to terms with. Their flavor is very pronounced, and unique, and either you like them or you don't. Sure there are different qualities, but still.

Anyway not long ago some friends gave me a half-bottle of Tequila Maya Reposado. It has their picture on it, they bought it from a shop where their picture was taken to put on the bottle.

I wasn't expecting anything special but this truly is a fine drink, the best tequila I have ever had. It has a typical pepper-like nose but a very soft palate with no burn at all. It's all in Spanish on the label and I can't tell who makes it. You can taste all the tequila flavours but nicely tamed with oak aging and no artificial sweetness evidently. It's an agave, from I think (again the label) Gapillade Gaudalupe, not sure if that is a locality or distillery. I would buy this definitely, a fine spirit indeed.

Gary

Actually on the back of the Tequila Maya Reposado it states: "Triangulo Dorada Region De Los Altos", with Gapilla de Guadalupe shown in the triangle near the center, so I gather this is a good indicator. Certainly the taste shows it.

Gary

Sorry for the, um, articulated posts, but it is taking me time to understand the label. In the centre on the back it states "5 Anos", so I gather 5 years old. I think this is unusually long for reposado, but if so it suits the spirit very well, softening it down but preserving all the flavor. Ole!

Gary

(

I wasn't expecting anything special but this truly is a fine drink, the best tequila I have ever had. It has a typical pepper-like nose but a very soft palate with no burn at all. It's all in Spanish on the label and I can't tell who makes it.

I think all bottles of tequila have something called a NOM number by which you an trace its provenience. Not sure though.....

Tequila and cognac are spirits I have never quite come to terms with. Their flavor is very pronounced, and unique, and either you like them or you don't. Sure there are different qualities, but still.

I'm with you on the cognac or brandy. It is hard for me stomach it. Vodka is worse to me though - it turns my stomach.

Well, these are acquired tastes and in general I find I cannot acquire them, but as with many things there are exceptions. I can see developing a taste for good reposado. Ive been reading up on tequila and most "repos" seem aged from a couple of months to about a year - perhaps I misread the 5 on mine and it wasn't aged 5 years (which seems too long I think for most brands anyway). However they made it, I like it!

Gary

The newest category in Tequila is Extra Anejo and (I believe) these are aged 3 years or more. Reposado can go up to just under a year and then it becomes anejo. Maybe the "5 anos" is referring to something else?

Probably, it says Reposado on the front, and 5 anos in the center of the label on the back, so it must refer to something else, maybe the number of years the Los Altos region has been recognized as a special tequila area, you can read it that way. I'll have to try some other aged types of tequila. It makes sense to me that some time will improve it but you don't want its essential quality overwhelmed by barrel qualities and I like the balance the Tequila Maya gets, it is both bland and tasty at the same time if that makes sense.

Gary

Maybe the 5 anos refers to the age of the blue agave plant before being harvested? I am not sure, but reposados are by Mexican law less than a year aged in barrel.

As for 1800, there are a handful of 1800s (the crap mixto, Milenio, Coleccion, anejo) Unfortunately, most tequila sold is mixto (51% blue agave and the rest cheap fillers) and those are harsh and are what give tequila its bad name. My analogy is mixto is like JD.

If you want a nice drink on par with other fine spirits the anejo or extra anejos (3+) of 100% blue agave are the way to go. The prices are rising though as good tequila gets more popular.

If you really want to get a good feel for them, grab 4 bottles (5 if you got the $$). mixto, blanco, reposado, anejo, extra anejo.

I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but does anyone else have opinions of Lanazul reposado?

Eric

I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but does anyone else have opinions of Lanazul reposado?

Eric

I loved it for the price. I got a btl at $16 some time ago...maybe 6 months. Now it's up to $20. But, it's still reasonable at that price imo.

I loved it for the price. I got a btl at $16 some time ago...maybe 6 months. Now it's up to $20. But, it's still reasonable at that price imo.

I saw it recently at the local discount liquor store for around $17 IIRC.

I am interested in trying out some "sipping" tequilas and possibly trying a proper margarita (no, put the blender and ice away!).

Eric

Don't know that I'd call Lunazul a sipper, but it made a great Margarita. :grin:

It's gotta be better than the Cuervo gold my brother and I bought last year!:slappin:

Next to the Lanazul there was Herradura reposado, can't remember the price but I know it had to be less that $30.

Eric

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.