Tequila

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No complaints against Herradura. Really nice. I'll say it again...Siete Leguas. It's really , really good. I don't claim to be a tequila nerd, but it makes me wanna turn into one. $40 for the blanco, and I'd call it a sipper. Herradura is right there as well. I think Luna is more of a mixer, while Herradura , and Siete are more sippin friendly, even as blanco. However, the Luna does beat Jose 100% of the time imo. :grin:

I was really surprised to learn how brief the time in oak is for Tequila. I figured an anejo was at least eight years. Wikipedia says that a reposado is two months to one year. Over a year is an anejo.

Had a hoporita at New Holland last night. Not tequila, but it worked. A beer wash distilled twice and dry hopped. Finally a tequila-esque spirit for hop heads. :grin:

I was really surprised to learn how brief the time in oak is for Tequila. I figured an anejo was at least eight years. Wikipedia says that a reposado is two months to one year. Over a year is an anejo.

It is brief, isn't it? But a little time in the oak goes a long way with tequila. I've had some that was barreled for only two years and there was a pronounced oaky flavor, so the agave must be fairly delicate and subject to great change when in the barrel even for relatively short periods of time.

As with bourbon and other spirits the "experiments" of allowing more time to barrel age has been on a steady incline. Asom Broso even has an 11 year aged anejo. They recently added the extra anejo category due to all the anejos over 3 years. There are many anejos with 5 years of age. I think with time we may even see a 20 year anejo oneday!

As with bourbon and other spirits the "experiments" of allowing more time to barrel age has been on a steady incline. Asom Broso even has an 11 year aged anejo. They recently added the extra anejo category due to all the anejos over 3 years. There are many anejos with 5 years of age. I think with time we may even see a 20 year anejo oneday!

I hope this also does not portend that high quality blanco and repasado tequilas will be one their way out. What I like about tequila is you can get an unaged or minimaly aged spirit that tastes good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just yesterday I picked up a bottle of El Jimador 100% agave and it is pretty awesome! It's very earthy, spicy and a tad fruity and the finish is rather long with fruity/earthy tones lingering for quite some time. I HAVE to see if I can get it cheaper somewhere other than where I bought it yesterday($47/750mL, ouch!)

• 2 weeks later...

My favoriite tequila was 7 Leguas Anejo I picked up in a tourist trap in Cancun. It had the nicest pure agave flavor I've had though I am no expert. Unfortunately I can't find it in KC and my Mexican friends liked it so much, it didn't survive it's first outing.:lol:

My favoriite tequila was 7 Leguas Anejo I picked up in a tourist trap in Cancun. It had the nicest pure agave flavor I've had though I am no expert. Unfortunately I can't find it in KC and my Mexican friends liked it so much, it didn't survive it's first outing.:lol:

Siete Leguas was the original producer for Patron. I love siete. It is very pure with loads of fruit complemented by wonderful agave spice.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents got one of those last-minute-travel-deals for a trip to Playa Del Carmen the other day and I had a few hours to decide whether I wanted to go. One of the factors that weighed in my decision was to buy a few bottles of 7 Leguas while there.

In the end I decided to save my vacation for some other things. Like a week in Kauai and a few days on the Big Piney river. :cool:

Had a hoporita at New Holland last night. Not tequila, but it worked. A beer wash distilled twice and dry hopped. Finally a tequila-esque spirit for hop heads. :grin:

Just noticed this. Sounds yummy! Do you know how widely distributed this is?

Just noticed this. Sounds yummy! Do you know how widely distributed this is?

Very limited....I think Michigan, and Illinois only at the moment. Maybe Indiana as well. It really is quite unique.:grin:

• 2 months later...

Maybe I've posted this before, but 1921 Reserva Especial (Reposado) is probably the best tequila, especially for the $55 cost. Note the dark red top; not the green of the regular reposado, which is ok, too, just not great.

Great for sipping or for a killer margarita ("martini" style). I started drinking it based on a recommendation by my barber, who's from Mexico. He told me to get it on a trip to Puerta Vallarta. It wasn't even imported then. A few years later, it was imported, then seemed to disappear. Now, it seems to be readily available again.

Teq1921a.jpg

Teq1921b.jpg

1921 was the year the Mexican Revolution ended

Teq1921c.jpg

all the 100% de agave tequilas have a NOM number, which is a number given to the distillery by the government. different brands made by the same distillery will have the same NOM number

Teq1921NOM.jpg

remember, dark red top, not green! not that I had any trouble going through the regular reposado in Margaritas!!!

Teq1921both.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.