Tequila

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

James, How do the 4 Copas offerings compare to El Tesoro?

Since buying a bottle of El Tesoro repasado and a bottle of the blanco the Gran Centenario tequilas taste sweet, too sweet, even the blanco. My wife even commented on how sweet the GC blanco tasted when I gave her a sip of the El Tesoro and then had her try the GC. A few days ago she even requested that I make our Margaritas with the ET platinum. We've never made them at home and I can't recall having one in a restaurant. I used a 2:1:1 ratio. I had mine straight up and she had hers on the rocks. I liked it, but she thought they were a bit too strong with tequila. She liked it better after the ice melted some. I plan on experimenting further when we have tacos for supper again.

ILLfarmboy, I can't recall the 4 Copas well enough to make an honest comparison. As it was the first tequila that I've had that didn't taste like rot-gut so I was obviously impressed. It got me to go out and try all these others since then. The 4 Copas was not available in my area so I haven't had the opportunity to try it again. I just remember it having a citrus flavor and not being too sweet for sure.

If I ever have the pleasure again I'll report back the new findings.

Cheers!

• 6 months later...

Here's a couple questions.

Definitions and preparation aside, only referring to taste, what's the general difference between anejo and resposado? Especially if you compare the two styles within one brand head to head.

Second question: more specifically, what about Herradura Anejo vs Herradura Resposado?

Here's my very extremely limited experience with better tequilas. I was introduced to Chinaco, my first 'sipping' tequila. I've tried a few other brown ones, sorta recall the brands, but I didn't know to pay attention to the rest of the title.

In general always preferred the brown ones vs blanco or silver. Although I have had at least one blanco that I really liked. But all my trials were in bars, many years ago, can't remember all I've had.

So recently I was in a liquor store, trying to decide on a brown tequila. I was flying blind, I hadn't done a bit of research. Generally I don't like putting money down without spending at least a few minutes googling a couple reviews.

Based on a neck tag bragging about some awards, I settled on something I had never tried up to that point: Herradura Anejo. I can't imagine tequila being better than this.

I've noticed that with rum I tend to prefer anejo rums. I'm really curious about Herradura Resposado as compared to Herradura Anejo.

OK here is the lowdown woith definitions and then Ill get into taste.

Blanco - unaged tequila normally clear

Reposado - up to 1 year of barrel aging

Anejo - 1-3 yea barrel aging

Extra Anejo - 3+ years of barrel aging

It seems you prefer anejos (like me) as they are more mellow and I think have more characteristics than unaged (blanco) tequila. IMO reposados are the best for margaritas though. So, the difference between Herradura anejo and reposado is just time spent in barrel which makes the anejo type taste more mellow and "smoother".

If you liked Herradura anjeo then Herradura Sellecion Suprema Extra anejo (HSS) would blow you away!

Other good ones out there.

"Affordable":

El Tesoro anejo - this started my lovefest with tequila $40-50

Tonala Suprema Reserva - $40

More luxury:

Don Julio 1942 - $80ish

El Tesoro Paradiso - $100ish

HSS - $300ish

Don Fulano Imperial - $100ish

I used to always recommend JCRF (Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia) which is a tequila that comes out each year with a newly designed box by some artist. The 04s were amazing and most of the releases since its inception in 1995 were amazing. Since 04 the 05, 06, 07, and 08 are just not even close to 04 and and earlier vintages. The 09 has some promise and I am awaiting a sample before I buy it. I just wanted to add that as it seems to be a tequila that is becmiing more readily available. Price is around 80-100. It used to be the ONLY Cuervo product worth buying (barring the 1800 Collecion which is in the 1000s), but I wouldnt bother until they release a worthy vintage OR you get an 04.

Thankfully, I have 4-5 bottles of the 04 bunkered. I am hoping JC will turn it around, but they are probably too big to care.

I used to always recommend JCRF (Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia) which is a tequila that comes out each year with a newly designed box by some artist. The 04s were amazing and most of the releases since its inception in 1995 were amazing. Since 04 the 05, 06, 07, and 08 are just not even close to 04 and and earlier vintages. The 09 has some promise and I am awaiting a sample before I buy it. I just wanted to add that as it seems to be a tequila that is becmiing more readily available. Price is around 80-100. It used to be the ONLY Cuervo product worth buying (barring the 1800 Collecion which is in the 1000s), but I wouldnt bother until they release a worthy vintage OR you get an 04.

Thankfully, I have 4-5 bottles of the 04 bunkered. I am hoping JC will turn it around, but they are probably too big to care.

I disagree about it being the ONLY Cuervo product worth buying (barring the 1800 Collecion). I thought the Jose Cuervo Anejo was excellent, IMO just as good as any JCRF and only half the cost. But that's just my opinion, I know many on the tequila forums don't agree. And of course the Jose Cuervo Anejo is no longer sold and very hard to find, so I guess it's not very relevant, but I wanted to mention it.

I would also agree JCA is another quality Cuervo product, but as you mentioned no longer available. Rumor has it is similar to JCRF in its heyday.

For our annual Cinco de Mayo party, I always pick up a couple good Anejo's or Reposado's for drinking as a toast later in the evening. One of the bottles this year, was 1921 Reserva Especial. It has many bourbon qualities to it. Kinda mapley, caramelly. It was fantastic. To date, this is the best tequila I've ever tasted. :yum:

What no love for the Don Julio Anejo?

I used to be an avid Tequila drinker. Part of the reason I got out of it was that most bottles I liked suddenly jumped up into the $50 range.

I prefer Blanco's and Reposado's now as I find most Anejo's unsuited to my palette for anything other than an after dinner drink.

I think Milagro Reposado isn't a bad deal here @ $33 and goes great with beer!

Anejo is just woodier and I usually prefer a reposado. Herradura is one of my favorites and I prefer the reposado there. I haven't sampled a lot of other lines comparing the different styles in the line, so maybe with other brands I would prefer the anejo. I also like Hornitos, which is the reposado version of Sauza, and El Jimador Reposado, which is Herradura's value brand. If I want to try a new tequila, I usually start with the reposado. It's a very personal preference thing, so your results may vary.

Anejo is just woodier and I usually prefer a reposado. Herradura is one of my favorites and I prefer the reposado there. I haven't sampled a lot of other lines comparing the different styles in the line, so maybe with other brands I would prefer the anejo. I also like Hornitos, which is the reposado version of Sauza, and El Jimador Reposado, which is Herradura's value brand. If I want to try a new tequila, I usually start with the reposado. It's a very personal preference thing, so your results may vary.

Largely because of your stated preference for Hurradura reposado, I've given that one a try. I like it. it is probably my favorite reposado. For pure fresh agava flavor I love El Tosoro Platnum. Oddly, I'm not nearly as big a fan of their reposado.

I have a few bottles of the El Tessoro Platinum (Blanco) that are the older bottlings (different bottle/label). It states that is distilled to 80 proof, which means no water added. I love this stuff, can really taste the agave.

I have a few bottles of the El Tessoro Platinum (Blanco) that are the older bottlings (different bottle/label). It states that is distilled to 80 proof, which means no water added. I love this stuff, can really taste the agave.

All of my bottles have been the newer "olive oil bottle" shape, But I think it is still distilled to proof. Their web site features the newer bottles but still claims that it is "double distilled to exactly 80 proof".

Every time I buy a bottle I'm glad I'm patronizing a product that uses a low distillation proof.

When I was a tequila drinker, El Tesoro was one of my very favorites. When they changed the bottle, I still always sought out the old-style bottles, as they were still easy to find around here. Those old bottles are much harder to find now, but they are still out there.

When I was a tequila drinker, El Tesoro was one of my very favorites. When they changed the bottle, I still always sought out the old-style bottles, as they were still easy to find around here. Those old bottles are much harder to find now, but they are still out there.

Are you sure Gus? I been snagging them up:rolleyes:
I'll keep an eye out for them for you.

One thing that impressed me during my first exposure to Herradura Anejo was that the distinct "tequila-ness", that flavor that makes tequila what it is, was very subdued. There were many layers of flavor; fibery, silky, woody, etc, and the "tequila" flavor was just a hint among other flavors.

If nothing else, it was just impressive and unexpected that the distinct tequila-ness could be just a bit actor. Now as I work my way through the bottle, I find myself wishing for just a hint more of that tequila flavor. Not that this is even a criticism.

It seems that this anejo and I'm sure many others are probably a good first choice to offer to someone uninitiated or skeptical of the idea that tequila, with all its baggage, can be sipped as is scotch or brandy.

On the other end of the spectrum I did try some white tequila that I got for my wife when she wanted some margaritas. I found Hornitos Plata quite sip-worthy. Maybe not quite where I'm at right now, but the smoothness and quality were definitely there.

I think I can relate to others here who have settled on Resposados. I like cowdery's approach: when trying a new brand, to start out with the Resposado. That's where I'm headed next.

• 1 month later...

I'm always looking for good value brands of my favorite spirit. The best one I've found so far is Lunazul (owned by Heaven Hill). Both the reposado and blanco won silver medals at the 2009 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

Give them try.

I'm always looking for good value brands of my favorite spirit. The best one I've found so far is Lunazul (owned by Heaven Hill). Both the reposado and blanco won silver medals at the 2009 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

Give them try.

2nd that, was looking for something on the less expensive side but still 100% agave, settled on Lanazul reposado and was plesantly surprised.

Okay. I've got a small stash of reposados now--Cazadores, El Jimador (good and inexpensive!), Sauza Hornitos and my favorite, Herradura, which a Mexican friend brought back for me on his last trip home. I'm still eyeing the El Tesoro Reposado which should pretty much satisfy my needs in terms of reposados.

So here's my question: I still need one affordable blanco (or silver) for that down-home traditional tequila flavor (but something that doesn't put me into rot-gut territory) and one not-too-expensive but premium quality anejo. I like true agave flavor and realize that that can sometimes get lost in some anejos due to the pronounced presence of oak imparted by lengthier barrel ageing, but I want to cover the whole spectrum in my tiny collection of tequila and feel I should have at least one anejo on the bar. My Mexican friend recommends the Herradura Anejo at about $50 or possibly the El Tesoro at a similar price. As to the blanco, I do not intend to ever drink it in a mixer so I want something tasty to sip straight up. Any suggestions, folks?

2nd that, was looking for something on the less expensive side but still 100% agave, settled on Lanazul reposado and was plesantly surprised.

unclebunk, you can't go wrong by just staying within the El Tesoro lineup. The El Tesoro Platinum was awarded the Best Tequila and a Double Gold medal at the 2009 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. The reposado and anejo were also awarded Double Golds. All are also reasonably priced and usually priced less than Herradura.

unclebunk, you can't go wrong by just staying within the El Tesoro lineup. The El Tesoro Platinum was awarded the Best Tequila and a Double Gold medal at the 2009 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. The reposado and anejo were also awarded Double Golds. All are also reasonably priced and usually priced less than Herradura.

Around here the best liquor stores are usually the Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits. For some bizarre reason they have the El Tosoro Platinum priced the same as the anejo, 52 dollars. The entire El Tosoro line up is priced identical. I don't know what other people pay for the anejo but the Blanco should be around 36-38 dollars. I pay about that down in Peoria at Friar Tucks Beverage.

I wonder what gives. I was thinking the El Tosoro line was sort of like Highland Park 12, big variation in price depending on your location and the individual store.

Thanks for the advice. My Mexican friend said the same thing about the El Tesoro Platinum being an excellent blanco. I've been looking for the reposado and anejo in the older non-olive oil style bottles but haven't had any luck finding them. I guess they're long gone now but I liked the more "traditional" look of them.

...they have the El Tosoro Platinum priced the same as the anejo, 52 dollars. The entire El Tosoro line up is priced identical. I don't know what other people pay for the anejo but the Blanco should be around 36-38 dollars. I pay about that down in Peoria at Friar Tucks Beverage. I wonder what gives. I was thinking the El Tosoro line was sort of like Highland Park 12, big variation in price depending on your location and the individual store.

I just checked the Binny's on-line prices and the El Tesoro Anejo was $50 and the Reposado was $45. Oddly, the Platinum wasn't even listed. But I agree, the blanco/silver/platinum should be no more than upper $30's if the others are priced in the $45-$50 range. I'm sure all of the El Tesoro products are of excellent quality (like the Herradura line too) but I'm not quite that enamoured with tequila to spend upwards of $40 too many times. I'll be happy to have a few bottles on the bar at that price for those occasions when I want a real quality tequila, but when I'm spending that kind of dough I'm going to head for a Pappy 15 or another killer bourbon more often than not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.