Bourbon Availability Downunder

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ken, Buffalo Trace is a class act outfit, and I hope I speak for all of us when I say that it is an honor to have you reading and posting here.

Thank you!

This is one of the reasons RTDs are so popular in Australia

Hi Ken, forgive my ignorance, but what are RTD's?

When we get to Australia with Buffalo Trace, it will still be 90 proof, despite the tax implications

I fully support that.. I hope you never compromise BT's quality just to gain entry to a market. In my opinion, as long as there's a nation-wide distribution, I think Buffalo Trace will do extremely well here when it does arrive. From what the staff at my local Liquorland stores say, Heaven Hills' Evan Williams Single Barrel (AU$ 44.95) and Elijah Craig 12yo (AU$ 49.95) have been selling extremely well. At these price points, they are competing against other established brands like Bulleit (AU$ 44.95), Gentleman Jack (AU$ $49.95) & Wild Turkey 8yo ($49.95)

It will be interesting to see where BT (and other BT brands) eventually fit into the market.. I get the impression from the Liquorland staff I've been talking to, and my parents before they sold their pub in July, that the Australian Bourbon market is slowly shifting away from the everyday Beam, Cougar & JD brands to quality bourbons (of course, these still hold the major market share.) The guys at Clarinda Cellars who hold the Australian importing/distribution rights to the Van Winkle Products also said the number of enquiries they take for BT brands is increasing at a steady rate.

Now you get an idea why Stagg is sooooo expensive down under!

I wasn't aware it ever made it to Australia, unless individuals (like me) import for themselves?

...what are RTD's?

RTD is an acronym for ready-to-drink. I believe I saw a canned Jim Beam-and-cola concoction in one your posted pictures -- that's an RTD.

Thanks for the clarification! RTDs are pre-mixed drinks of alcohol and Coke or OJ or some other fruit juice.

Ken

I've noticed that Nelson County (pitured in Bettye Jo's post) retails via a different retailer than the normal Heaven Hill products. It's interesting because I thought the Coles Myer Liquorland retail chain had exclusive rights to product supplied by Heaven Hill New Zealand..

On another note, has anyone tried this bourbon? It's certainly in the 'affordable' category (cheaper than Jim Beam White)

• 2 weeks later...

My Murray 2005 arrived today. I noticed that another Australian 37% called Woodstock was featured. Seems like it can be filed under "mixer whiskey". (He gave it 86 out of 100, though.)

While searching the Internet I stumbled upon this : Independent Liquor New Zealand

Apparently there´s more than just one brand. Any of you Aussies tried one of them?

I'm sure there are people who like Woodstock, but I'm not really one of them.. I've tried the RTD's several times and one day plan to buy a bottle to try neat.

The price of the RTD's *might* give evidence of the quality - they are often seen on special 6 x 440ml cans for AU$10 Jim Beam White is usually 6 x 330ml for AU$18

I've never seen the other versions they mention.

I was curious because in the "What bourbon are you drinking..." thread you mentioned a Kentucky Gold which recently had made an impression on you.

The Kentucky Gold, displayed on this page, however is a blend of some sorts (only 46 proof, would you believe!). Are there two bottlings with the same name or could this strange species be a product for the NZ market?

Good Lord! I haven't been put off by the DBA till this point. But The Old Q C Distillery is pushing the envelope, what next Old Test Tube and Beaker? lol.gif

I have now found the Australian equivalent here. There is no sign of a Kentucky Gold so it is probably a product exclusive to the New Zealand market.

I am still intrigued by this 74 proof/37% business. If you examine the Woodstock label closely (you can view a 503 kb picture of it) there is no mention whatsoever of the words 'straight' or 'whiskey'. Instead you get "genuine Kentucky bourbon" on the neck and "authentic Kentucky bourbon" on the main label. Is this really legal?

Surfing the Internet I chanced upon this site

Interestingly enough, if you return to my earlier link you´ll find that the Scotch in question, Glen Nevis, who comes under fire in this article, seems to be alive and well. To get the low-down on the Australian jurisdiction for hard liquor - now, that would be interesting!

There is no sign of a Kentucky Gold so it is probably a product exclusive to the New Zealand market.

Nah! Kentucky ships it overseaslol.gif here to Tennessee, too -- I just looked at a bottle earlier today in one of my local liquor stores. Between $8 and $9. Bottled here, too, by the "Quality Control Distilling Co." bs.gif

Yeah, I had it in a bar in Florida recently. The bar made its Manhattans with it. Actually, it is very good, I had a shot straight. It is a very good blend (despite the clinical-sounding company moniker, which may (I am speculating here) be a kind of inside joke).

Gary

What bottling are we talking about, then? The Kentucky Gold that I referred to is, to my knowledge, not bottled by the Quality Control Distilling Co. To avoid any confusion here´s a picture : Kentucky Gold

A follow-up question to this would be : what constitutes an American blend? In Sweden there is no such thing as a "stand-alone blend", it has to be blended whisk(e)y with a minimum of 80 proof. This darling (the KG, that is) is only 46 proof! confused.gif

The Kentucky Gold I was referring to was the one Tim mentioned of the same name, an 80 proof blended whiskey put out by Quality Control Distilling Company. This other, Antipodean Kentucky Gold, with a much lower abv, clearly is a different version. I don't know if they are both made by the same company.

Gary

No, actually, the version I saw yesterday locally -- like the one Cam posted -- is a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, not a blend. Only difference was the standard U.S 750ml size vs. Cam's 700ml. The labeling was even identical otherwise.

Thanks for the clarification. There must be different versions for different markets. I am pretty sure (this is from memory though) that the one I saw was an 80% blended whiskey made by Quality Control Distillery. I thought the name was amusing in its plainess but maybe there was some humor behind it, like hey let's give the guys in the lab department a nod. smile.gif Anyway the one I had was very good, one of the best American blendeds I have ever had. It had a good bourbon undertone with a soft, caramel-like taste. The one Cam mentioned though seems different due to the low abv, almost a cordial perhaps.

Gary

Anyway, I'm sure it's a site many here will watch with interest.

You are probably right on, Gary. Any one else going to be looking for their table at the sampler with me? lol.gif

"American Blended Whiskey" is a combination of aged whiskey, unaged whiskey, neutral spirits, flavoring and coloring. Seagram's Seven Crown is the best selling American Blended Whiskey. In contrast, Canadian and Scottish blends contain only aged whiskey, though some of it is nearly neutral. In an American blend, 20 percent of the blend must be 100 proof straight whiskey. To that is added, in some proportion, green whiskey (often corn whiskey) and grain neutral spirits (i.e., vodka). Then flavoring and coloring is added to make it look and taste a little more like whiskey.

Although a lot of thin whiskies are dismissed as "brown vodka," this is the true brown vodka since some of it actually is vodka. American Blends are best in mixed drinks, if they are good for anything. If you've never had one you are missing nothing.

I've heard a rumour from my local bottleshop manager that Know Creek is no longer going to be sold in Australia.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

All the liquor shops in my area (south-east victoria) are now out of stock, and have been so since xmas. Is this just a coincidence or not?

I've heard rumors via a friend who attended a whiskey tasting night late last year that Jim Beam are no longer making Knob Creek. The rumors haven't been repeated here (that I am aware of), so I took them to be just that - rumors.

There is a noteable abscence of stock in stores locally, as well as on Australian online retailers.

I'll definately grab a bottle next time I see one...just in case.

Welcome onboard Damian - It's great to see another Aussie around these parts smile.gif

That's definitely a rumor. Knob Creek is Fred Noe's baby. There's no way Jim Beam would stop making that.

Fred

For whatever it's worth, we can't get Knob Creek in Middle Tennessee right now either, but it's just because the distributor underestimated holiday sales. It'll be back on the shelf as soon as it's back in stock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.